Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarralisa

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
reason why a chav wudnt have one?
- chavs cant read. lol, its a well known fact, its why they like shuffles
- although the benefits they live off are hefty, the price tag is like 5 vans they would have to rob
- as if the speaker is guna be loud enough to walk around in public blasting poor quality undistinguishable d'n'b on, knowing apple it will be subtle but pitch perfect
- didnt you know to be a chav u have to own a sony walkman ripoff phone, its like unwritten code
- they wudnt understand how to use it! theyve only just mastered dressing themselves in pajamas, never mind a multi touch screen

im sure apple will release a chav-friendly iPhone in due time, like they did with the shuffle 1st gen, get rid of flashy features, back to basic and sell it for peanuts, the devalued iPhone would be a new icon for the chav masses that swarm around council estates in our great country. (for any americans chav essentially means w*nker lol)

p.s. if your a chav i do NOT apologise for what i sed and i did mean offence.....scum:D

-chavs DO NOT own shuffles!! they have nano's or videos i know no chav that owns a shuffle.
-not all chavs rob,the older ones do who are like adults and need to get a life
-chavs are still going to get this phone,its called christmas and birthdays,saving its not hard
-It's not hard how to figure out to use a phone,a chav will understand it better than most of you's,there constantly using there phones.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
reason why a chav wudnt have one?
- chavs cant read. lol, its a well known fact, its why they like shuffles
- although the benefits they live off are hefty, the price tag is like 5 vans they would have to rob
- as if the speaker is guna be loud enough to walk around in public blasting poor quality undistinguishable d'n'b on, knowing apple it will be subtle but pitch perfect
- didnt you know to be a chav u have to own a sony walkman ripoff phone, its like unwritten code
- they wudnt understand how to use it! theyve only just mastered dressing themselves in pajamas, never mind a multi touch screen

im sure apple will release a chav-friendly iPhone in due time, like they did with the shuffle 1st gen, get rid of flashy features, back to basic and sell it for peanuts, the devalued iPhone would be a new icon for the chav masses that swarm around council estates in our great country. (for any americans chav essentially means w*nker lol)

p.s. if your a chav i do NOT apologise for what i sed and i did mean offence.....scum:D

Carphone warehouse = chavphone warehouse.... How can they have the nokia 8600... that really peed me off. They have exclusives on that and le prada and as a result they became as common as dog poop on the road. Thankfully im the only one at my school with a pda. XDA mini S. People often get confused with the slide out keyboard though. I reackon iphone will be at least £100-£150. DONT LET CARPHONE WAREHOUSE NEAR THE IPHONE, APPLE. Otherwise it will fail miserably.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
A direct comparison of plans and phone pricing in the us and uk doesn't make sense. There's no comparison currently.

Go on the principles by which Apple appears to be following for iPhone pricing.

ie.
1) Must be more expensive than iPod video. so greater than £219.
2) No discounting, so more like a direct price conversion ie. $499 -> £259 (rounded up after exhange rate of 1.98)
3) Add in normal brit vat+premium for an Apple product ~20% you get £299 inc VAT + contract. 8GB = £359 inc VAT.

I'm so sure of this i'm almost prepared to lay money on it. It's a premium product, Apple's said as much, so expect a premium price.

Oh and i don't care if you can get a p990 for free with a £40 contract. I waited a year for that damn phone and it so buggy, sh*t and slow, you'll have to drag my p910i from my cold dead fingers before i upgrade. Which will be day one that the iphone is on sale in the UK.

M. :D

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Is that with or without a contract LOL

I fully expect £250+ with a £30+ call and data plan for 2 years.

This thing aint gonna be cheap!

Which makes it all the more important that it has 3G for me. I don't want to be fiending after the 3G update 6 months into that contract.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
-chavs DO NOT own shuffles!! they have nano's or videos i know no chav that owns a shuffle.
-not all chavs rob,the older ones do who are like adults and need to get a life
-chavs are still going to get this phone,its called christmas and birthdays,saving its not hard
-It's not hard how to figure out to use a phone,a chav will understand it better than most of you's,there constantly using there phones.

-They used to but they all use their crappy fone speakers these days.
-Chavs dont have xmas, unles there dad does a job jus b4 and niks some stuff, plus chavs round here, birthday present is like i dno a new pair of shoes from the skip. plus they ent got money left after buying bling for da bi*ches.
-Chavs dont know left from right, plus this takes like two hands to operate, n they always have a smoke in one, so no they wont be able to use it.

Bobthemonkey

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
I fully expect £250+ with a £30+ call and data plan for 2 years.

This thing aint gonna be cheap!

Which makes it all the more important that it has 3G for me. I don't want to be fiending after the 3G update 6 months into that contract.

Say 18 months rather than 2 years and i suspect your not far off.

If it does go T-Mobile [I've heard a number of rumors to theis effect], a suitable plan comes out at £37.50, with a £129 N95. Using Steve's math add on the price on an 8Gb nano, and youget to £300.

Theh plan details are here, just to give you an idea. http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/eshop/per...et.postpaid&paymentTypeId=1&bundleTypeGroup=0

Sorry if this sounds like an ad from T-Mobile.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Is it expected to be available across most networks?

No-one knows yet. If it's EDGE then I think Orange are the only people with a full roll out of that. If it's 3G, well I guess it could be any of the big names.

I would imagine an exclusive for one of the networks though.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK

If it does go T-Mobile [I've heard a number of rumors to theis effect], a suitable plan comes out at £37.50, with a £129 N95. Using Steve's math add on the price on an 8Gb nano, and youget to £300.

Theh plan details are here, just to give you an idea. http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/eshop/per...et.postpaid&paymentTypeId=1&bundleTypeGroup=0

We'll see about that 18 month thing. It's a very popular longer tie in time with the big networks for sure. I figure they'll want to milk any iPhone popularity and up that to 24 months.

I'm kinda hoping it's T-Mobile as, even after all the recent announcements of new data plans from the big networks, they have the most progressive (and cheap) data plans out there.

One thing I wonder is: if you're locked into an 18 month contract when can you upgrade a phone to a newer model? Does it have to be at the end of that contract? Anyone know? (I tend to stick to phones for a very long time so haven't ever upgraded in that way).

I say this because I don't want to be stuck with a Rev A iPhone, say, 12 months in when 3G could arrive.

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
I was at a wedding about 3 weeks ago now, one of the guests was an account manager for Orange. He was saying Apple were courting Orange at the outset with Vodafone, but Orange are being discounted because they're heavily pushing their Windows Mobile phones and Apple were unconvinced they would push both OS type phones as hard as each other and give them equal space.

Vodafone or T-Mobile by the looks of things.

And I'm betting by Q4 2007 there'll be a revision and dual launch in the UK (new) and US (2nd gen) with 3G capability.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Vodafone or T-Mobile by the looks of things.

T-Mobile in the States is probably the best provider all around. If Apple didn't team up with them there, I don't know how they could team up with them here in Europe.

And for everyone complaining about Orange, at least it's not Movistar. Now that's a consumer's worst nightmare--yes I fell for it all, and my contract ends in one month but not soon enough.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
T-Mobile in the States is probably the best provider all around. If Apple didn't team up with them there, I don't know how they could team up with them here in Europe.

Different territories, different needs. I still don't think it's unlikely.

I take your point though.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

£975 for a bloody phone, madness :eek:

If it's more than £199 / £249 on a £30 a month contract, I think it will struggle in the UK. We expect to get much better deals and if Apple do push for a high handset price I expect to see big rebates on the rental.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
£975 for a bloody phone, madness :eek:

If it's more than £199 / £249 on a £30 a month contract, I think it will struggle in the UK. We expect to get much better deals and if Apple do push for a high handset price I expect to see big rebates on the rental.

I disagree. Completely.

O2 offered me an upgrade the other day. The phone was free on an 18 month contract @£30 minimum a month. Thats still £540.

So lets say iPhone @ £249 = £789 over the same period. You cant really quote the big numbers without showing what the equivalent price would be for another. Am I willing to pay £249 extra for a phone that syncs beautifully with my Mac, has 4 times the memory of my Nano (that cost £140 itself), Wifi, a huge screen, multitouch etc?

Hell yes.

I honestly believe that people will pay the premium because it is quite a tangible benefit. You have seen how paid tech journalists have weakened at the knees over the interface. Now imagine how Joe Public will perceive it?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I just heard from the MacBreak Weekly podcast that the iPhone would command a $999 tag without contract....which is £501.35, adding the international factor probably pushes that up to about £750+....at least

pellucidity

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
US
Carphone warehouse = chavphone warehouse.... How can they have the nokia 8600... that really peed me off. They have exclusives on that and le prada and as a result they became as common as dog poop on the road. Thankfully im the only one at my school with a pda. XDA mini S. People often get confused with the slide out keyboard though. I reackon iphone will be at least £100-£150. DONT LET CARPHONE WAREHOUSE NEAR THE IPHONE, APPLE. Otherwise it will fail miserably.

I would like to thank this poster and many others in this thread for reminding my why I don't live in the UK anymore!

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
London
We'll see about that 18 month thing. It's a very popular longer tie in time with the big networks for sure. I figure they'll want to milk any iPhone popularity and up that to 24 months.

I'm kinda hoping it's T-Mobile as, even after all the recent announcements of new data plans from the big networks, they have the most progressive (and cheap) data plans out there.

One thing I wonder is: if you're locked into an 18 month contract when can you upgrade a phone to a newer model? Does it have to be at the end of that contract? Anyone know? (I tend to stick to phones for a very long time so haven't ever upgraded in that way).

I say this because I don't want to be stuck with a Rev A iPhone, say, 12 months in when 3G could arrive.

On most contracts you can pay a 'nominal' upgrade fee in order to update your handset if you're tempted by current handsets and are still some months away from your 'free upgrade'... However, i don't think there will be anything nominal about updating a 12-month-old iPhone for a RevB_3G when you're on an 18-month contract and probably paid the wrong side of £300 pounds for it in the first place :eek: :eek: :eek:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I would like to thank this poster and many others in this thread for reminding my why I don't live in the UK anymore!

I've travelled all over the world and I still love living here. OK, it isn't perfect but in terms of culture (and specifically music for me) nowhere has the UK beat.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
On most contracts you can pay a 'nominal' upgrade fee in order to update your handset if you're tempted by current handsets and are still some months away from your 'free upgrade'... However, i don't think there will be anything nominal about updating a 12-month-old iPhone for a RevB_3G when you're on an 18-month contract and probably paid the wrong side of £300 pounds for it in the first place :eek: :eek: :eek:

Indeed. I guess the fact that it's possible is enough for me.

blythy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2005
UK
Are we any closer to knowing a release date for iPhone in the UK?

Fortunately my O2 contract is up for renewal in October, I'm hoping it will be excellent timing ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.