iPhone UK Sales Reach 1 Million Mark

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 26, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As part of an earnings release covering the fourth quarter of 2008, Telefónica Europe announced that their O2 subsidiary in the UK has now sold over one million iPhones since the launch of the original iPhone in November 2007.

O2 pointed to the iPhone as one of the key components driving its performance, which was significantly better than the overall UK wireless market in all main financial and operating metrics. In particular, O2 highlighted the growth of its prepay segment, driven in part by the addition of prepaid iPhone offerings late in the quarter.

Article Link: iPhone UK Sales Reach 1 Million Mark

2. macrumors 6502a

Anyone know what the figures are for the whole UK mobile market to get some perspective on that?
    I had a wee Google for it but couldn't find anything.

First post :)

3. macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

To put it in some perspective, there are 60m people in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uk one iPhone sold for every 60 people in the UK. That's pretty incredible market penetration - especially when hampered by O2's lousy coverage compared to the like of Vodafone.

4. macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I was just thinking that as I read the article, 1 in 60 is astonishing. I'm getting more tempted to buy one every day.

5. macrumors 68040

elppa

1.6% of the UK population.

Not too bad.

Reminded me of when other operators bad mouthed O2 and Matthew Key for signing the Apple deal:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

6. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Does this help?

In 2007, the UK had a 116% market saturation, 70 million mobile phones from a population of 61 million.

7. macrumors 68040

elppa

Amazingly, that figure is beaten by three countries: Germany, Italy and Russia.

8. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    We have to factor in that the sales number counts the original model as well.

In the US, at least, quite a few of the 3G sales were to original owners. In other words, quite a lot of sales were to the same person.

So the percentage by population is less, perhaps much less, than figured above... though still respectable.

9. sjo
    macrumors 6502a

to give you some reference point, nokia n95 was introduced in uk in march 2007, and passed 1m mark on november 2007. so that's about 8-9 months, vs iphone 16 months.

10. macrumors newbie

If only O2 wasnt such a bad network. What percentage were 3g?. Does 2g really count, I was always waiting for 3g.

11. macrumors 68040

elppa

Particularly as I was calculating it based on a population of 60, not 70 million (which is probably more accurate).

Having said that many 3G upgraders may have passed their phones on and O2 and Apple were actively encouraging this, so the amount sold may be fairly close to the amount in use.

12. macrumors member

I have a 1st gen iPhone that a friend gave me when he upgraded to the 3G model last summer. It is unlikely that many people put their old iPhones in a desk drawer when they upgraded, and O2 offer a pay as you go sim-only pack for such a circumstance.

There are as of now over 1 million iPhones that have been sold in the UK, and apart from a few broken ones, I would expect almost every single one to be in service as of now.

UK phone suppliers have been moving away from a 12 month renewal cycle to an 18 or 24 month cycle over the past two years to help offset the subsidies they are having to increase on handsets, so the iPhone in the UK has another 3 months to go before it has been available for what is now 1 whole contract cycle (18 months).

Many of those 70 million phones that are said to be 'in use' are cheap and cheerful pay as you go emergency-only phones for kids or older people, many more are business mobiles provided by companies with little or no choice for the end user.

Put in this context, the depth of penetration of the iPhone in the UK is phenomenal. I have many friends who are Mac sceptics who have now got iPhones, and without exception they all agree that it is the single best tech purchase they have ever made...

...and they are telling their friends. The word of mouth on this product is unlike anything I have ever seen in the tech world, it literally sells itself.

13. macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

And when you consider 11 million are under 16 and 11 million are "of pensionable age" (including 3 million over 80), not to be too ageist, but that's probably about 1 in 50 (or maybe 1 in 40) cellphone buyers choosing an iPhone.

"The number of people of state pensionable age - over 65 for men and over 60 for women - rose by 1.9% last year to 11.58 million. They account for 19% of the population, overtaking the 11.5 million children under the age of 16."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/22/population.socialtrends

14. macrumors 6502a

happydude

planned obsolescence in its purest form. keep people buying the same product over and over . . . and none better at it than apple!

15. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

If it was the "same product" then it would not be obsolete!:confused:

16. macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

A hell of a lot of early adopters for that Nokia. :)

17. macrumors G3

bigandy

I was just thinking that. Who were all these people that got N95s ten years before general release.... :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 68020

Willis

when you consider that there has been 10 million iPhones sold worldwide, 1 million in the UK alone is a huge number

19. macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Not to take away from the UK sales, but keep in mind that Apple hit 10 million in late 2008, and had a run rate of 7 million in 3 months. And that was before the holiday season.

Actually, according to their statement, they sold 6.1 million 1st gens, and 6.9 million 3G's by the end of September, 2008. So that's 13 million, again before the holiday shopping season.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/10/21results.html

20. macrumors member

Many of my students have them, about a third of my colleagues have them. Not that surprising since youngish and tech savvy. But interestingly in my boy's football team two of the dad's have them, a welder and a truck driver. These are guys that don't use Macs and would never buy a Blueberry or similar so it is attractive to a range of people.

The welder and truck driver love their iPhones but don't know why you can't forward text messages !

21. macrumors 6502

The N95 was free on most contracts though, the original iPhone was £279 (500ish dollars) That would make most people (apart from apple nutjobs like me) think twice ;)

22. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I know a few people here in the UK with 2 or even 3 active phones/SIMs...

23. macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I remember that cold November day when I waited in line for four hours!!!
    now everyone has one:rolleyes:

24. macrumors regular

haha, i feel the same although Im prepared to wait in line for the new one still :rolleyes:

25. macrumors member

Where do you get your information from, O2's coverage is excellent, it's the reason why I have stuck with them whilst colleagues on Orange, Vodafone and other networks struggle for consistent service across the country.