iPhone UNLOCK without SIM CARD?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vegito93, Jun 13, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Newbie alert! Just kidding i know a thing or two about the iphone. My question:

I have bought a used iphone 3gs (3.1.3) locked to Fido. And i have a Rogers sim card, so i need to unlock.

What i want to do is wait for iOS 4.0 and SHIFT restore to the downloaded firmware. The problem is that the iphone has not been used on MY itunes before, and i dont have a fido sim card. Will i still be able to restore it using firmware 4.0?

What i am afraid of is that i will be stuck on the connect to itunes screen cuz i dont have the fido sim card. Will that happen?

Offcourse, after the restore, i will unlock it with whatever solution the iphone dev team develops. Again i dont have the fido sim card, so will i have anny problems doing it with no sim card in the iphone?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.

2. macrumors member

You would need a SIM card inserted in the phone to activate it, even after restoring. When I put iOS4 on, it was as if it was unlocking it all over again because I was presented with the "Congratulations, your iPhone is Unlocked" screen. It then verified itself with Apple. Do Fido not do a legitimate unlocking option like o2 do over here in the UK?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, what if i borrow a Fido sim from a friend. He dosent use his sim on an iphone, but can i use it during the restoring (to 4.0) and unlocking of my iphone? Will apple verify it?

4. macrumors member

They should do. When I got o2 to legitimately unlock mine, I just put a random PAYG sim in the phone and it activated fine. The SIM isn't tied to the handset, so any Fido SIM should get you activated.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

on another forum, someone was suggesting that i will be able to "hacktivate" it from the "connect to itunes" screen when unlocking with redsn0w (when it comes out). Is "hacktivating" safe?

6. macrumors newbie

If you used iTunes to update to 3.1.3 you will not be able to unlock the iPhone yet. You will have to wait 1,2 weeks maybe more , maybe less.

Updating to 3.1.3 will also update your modem firmware / baseband to 05.12.xx which is impossible to unlock right now.

7. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

4.0 is not even officially out. Also the jb and unlock tools aren't either. So you will not get any answers yet. Just assumptions.
    Wait 2-3 more weeks and there should be solutions to activate, jb and unlock.