Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
The whole idea of locking subsidized phones baffles me. If they are worried about not recouping their investment, they need to structure the contract and ETF differently. Problem solved.

The phones are locked to make it more difficult to switch even after the contract is up. Yes, they are that evil.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ebay. Unless I picked the wrong unlock fusion guy. Lol.

Hmmm....wondering about that now. Why were there several with different pricing. Were they different vendors?

Did mine last night so waiting for the confirmation today.

----------

Why would you pay anyone to unlock when AT&T is doing it for free? https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Because they won't do it for everyone. I got them to do my 4S, but fairly certain they won't like unlocking my 5. :D

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Hmmm....wondering about that now. Why were there several with different pricing. Were they different vendors?

Did mine last night so waiting for the confirmation today.

----------

Because they won't do it for everyone. I got them to do my 4S, but fairly certain they won't like unlocking my 5. :D

Did mine last night too. Have not heard anything yet. The user I used was unlock_fusion. Hopefully its cool as I have not heard anything yet.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
i actually called yesterday and just asked. the woman from AT&T just asked for my IMEI, sent me an email with instructions, and boom... unlocked.

m

Great, do you have the 5?

I guess i will call in and try the old trick I have used in the past. I just tell them I am traveling overseas and I need an unlock code to use my phone there.

I have no idea why, but it always works for me when I had blackberries and other non-iphones.

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
Great, do you have the 5?

I guess i will call in and try the old trick I have used in the past. I just tell them I am traveling overseas and I need an unlock code to use my phone there.

I have no idea why, but it always works for me when I had blackberries and other non-iphones.

yep.. iPhone 5... and it's a "New-refurb." In other words, i had to send back my original due to damage and i got a new one again.

gl!

m

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Did mine last night too. Have not heard anything yet. The user I used was unlock_fusion. Hopefully its cool as I have not heard anything yet.

Just got my e-mail! :D

Went back and checked, it's the right guy. I think there are multiple listings and diff prices for some reason. Luckily I noticed this and paid the lower of the 2 prices I noticed.

doctorandrew

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
It's multiple prices and posting because of the time frame differences. Some unlocks in 1-5 hours others in 12-24 hours.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Had my 4S unlocked for $7 last week.
I had my i5 unlocked yesterday for $18.
Well worth it IMO.
I love those ebay sellers:)

Because you dont have access to enter an IMEI to Apple unlocked database.
Get a job working at a carrier that has the iphone and you can make some extra cash on the side:D

How does it work via eBay? You purchase it on eBay and then you send them you phone or your serial number or what?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
It's multiple prices and posting because of the time frame differences. Some unlocks in 1-5 hours others in 12-24 hours.

You know, I thought of that for a second last night....but it was late and I didn't feel like continuing to think. :D Thanks for answering my question.

----------

How does it work via eBay? You purchase it on eBay and then you send them you phone or your serial number or what?

They send you a link to a website where you login and submit your IMEI. You'll receive an e-mail a few hours later letting you know that it's ready and you need to backup and restore your iPhone to see the unlock.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
yep.. iPhone 5... and it's a "New-refurb." In other words, i had to send back my original due to damage and i got a new one again.

gl!

m

Was your iPhone5 bought under a subsidized upgrade, or did you pay full price? I just tried with mine, and they shot my down hard, telling me I have to wait until the 2 year contract is up, despite me mentioning I'm traveling to Europe, and that I've heard from other who have called up and got thier iP5 unlocked by AT&T no problem. She wouldn't even consider my argument that I'm under contract for 2 years, so what does it matter.

leftynaut

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Was your iPhone5 bought under a subsidized upgrade, or did you pay full price? I just tried with mine, and they shot my down hard, telling me I have to wait until the 2 year contract is up, despite me mentioning I'm traveling to Europe, and that I've heard from other who have called up and got thier iP5 unlocked by AT&T no problem. She wouldn't even consider my argument that I'm under contract for 2 years, so what does it matter.

she's probably one of the sellers ;)

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
Ask for Tier 2 Tech Support when you call AT&T. They seem to care a bit less unlocking phones. I have had my account forever with AT&T, so that could be a factor. I also threw in a "white lie" saying that my first phone which was damaged was unlocked, so my new one should be too.

Tier 2 did it no problem.

m

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Just got my e-mail! :D

Went back and checked, it's the right guy. I think there are multiple listings and diff prices for some reason. Luckily I noticed this and paid the lower of the 2 prices I noticed.

Did you get the email stating it's been unlocked? I have not received that yet. A little concerned since they said 1-5 hours.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Did you get the email stating it's been unlocked? I have not received that yet. A little concerned since they said 1-5 hours.

Yeah, got it at 10:19 AM CDT. I submitted my unlock request around 1 AM CDT. Check your spam filter.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

My friend got his unlocked yesterday too but never received the confirmation unlocked email. But got the congradulations message on itunes after a restore.
Go to his site that he send you initially to enter your IMEI to check the status of the unlock. It should tell you there.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I've heard that its illegal for them to do that without your consent. I'm not even sure that it is possible.

Nope, plenty of reports of people being re-locked. Not sure how it could be "illegal". The reports I've seen of re-locks were complaints on eBay and from @Chronic re-locking people who reversed the charges on his payment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.