Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, Apple introduced an iPhone Upgrade Program in the U.S. designed to let Apple customers pay a monthly installment fee for a new iPhone and trade it in after 12 months of payments to get the next-generation iPhone.

When it debuted, the iPhone Upgrade Program required customers to purchase their iPhones within an Apple retail store to take advantage of the service, but as of today, the iPhone Upgrade Program is also available as an option when purchasing an iPhone from Apple's online store.

iphoneupgradeprogramonline.jpg

Apple's iPhone purchasing pages have been updated to reflect the change, with Apple's own pricing listed as a payment plan option instead of the carrier pricing options that were previously listed when purchasing an iPhone.

appleiphoneupgradeprogramonline.jpg

With the iPhone Upgrade Program, installment pricing on the entry-level iPhone 6s begins at $32.41 per month while pricing on the larger-screened entry-level iPhone 6s Plus begins at $36.58 per month. Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program is unique compared to carrier installment plans because it includes AppleCare+ in the monthly price.

The iPhone Upgrade Program is available for devices purchased with AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint service.

Article Link: Apple's Upgrade Program Now Available for iPhones Purchased Through Online Store

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
It's still not available SIM free, making it pointless. Having to purchase it with a contracted plan is silly... May as well get it directly from the cellular companies. How hard is it to implement a payment plan linked to one of your ApplePay credit cards, or your iTunes account.

iPunkin

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
It's still not available SIM free, making it pointless. Having to purchase it with a contracted plan is silly... May as well get it directly from the cellular companies. How hard is it to implement a payment plan linked to one of your ApplePay credit cards, or your iTunes account.

Also not available on T-Mobile for what it's worth.

Reactions: iAbc21

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
That's a lot of cheddar a month + why replace a phone once a year? nonsense
After 24-months you will wind up paying full retail (+tax and AppleCare+) for the phone. After payments are over (you can pay it off early) you can do whatever you want with it. You are not forced to replace the phone every year, but with this plan you have the flexibility to do so.

The big draw is that using the upgrade program, the phone is totally unlocked and can be used on any carrier. You're AppleCare+ coverage would transfer to an exchange phone.

The phone when purchased through the Upgrade Program is a totally unlocked iPhone which means you are buying without a carrier contract. So if I get sick of AT&T I can switch to Verizon/T-Mobs/Sprint.

There's probably a reason why it doesn't use ApplePay/iTunes - it's financed with no interest directly with Citizen's One.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This was exactly what I was asking for from Apple and what was stopping me from using the program. I love using Apple's feedback page :)

Reactions: geenosr

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
American economics at its finest. You are a complete (the term "loser" was suggested as being too rude but I can't help the fact if you can't afford something to begin with and yet you still want something you cannot afford AND you refuse to buy something in your own budget range, then you are pretty much a "loser" in my book).

If you cannot afford to pay $649 + taxes up front for a smartphone. Sorry if you need to finance a smartphone then you really need to go back to school and learn how to count. This is how Americans get in debt. You buy something you cannot afford. OR just buy something within your budget.

Either pay for it in full or SAVE UP until you can afford it. These programs have ludicrous interest rates and their entire objective is to trap you paying interests because you miss payments/stop paying. There is no "free" service to the general public on helping you buy anything.

Last edited:

moo083

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
American economics at its finest. You are a complete loser if you cannot afford to pay $649 + taxes up front for a smartphone. Sorry if you need to finance a smartphone then you really need to go back to school and learn how to count. This is how Americans get in debt. You buy something you cannot afford.

Either pay for it in full or SAVE UP until you can afford it. These programs have ludicrous interest rates and their entire objective is to trap you paying interests because you miss payments/stop paying. There is no "free" service to the general public on helping you buy anything.
I'm a bit confused. Apple's upgrade program has 0% interest and the payments happen automatically. What kind of trap do you think they are setting?

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
American economics at its finest. You are a complete loser if you cannot afford to pay $649 + taxes up front for a smartphone. Sorry if you need to finance a smartphone then you really need to go back to school and learn how to count. This is how Americans get in debt. You buy something you cannot afford.

What interest rate? A 64GB iPhone 6s+ is $850. Applecare+ is $129. That's a total of $979. The iPhone upgrade plan for that phone is $40.75/mo over 24 months. $40.75 x 24 = $978. The interest rate is 0%.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland

Wrong, bro. This program has 0 interest rate.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
After 24-months you will wind up paying full retail (+tax and AppleCare+) for the phone. After payments are over (you can pay it off early) you can do whatever you want with it. You are not forced to replace the phone every year, but with this plan you have the flexibility to do so.
Close, but not exactly. Looks like there's a $30 premium ($777.84 - $99 Applecare - $649 retail device cost = $29.84). So if you paid the device off over 24 months, you overpaid by $30 to have the option to turn it in at the 12 month for a new device. Pretty reasonable, seems to me. If you know you're going to keep it 24 months, there's always the normal installment plan, which works out to exactly the retail price.

Strange it doesn't work with T-Mobile, though.

Reactions: MareLuce

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Wrong, bro. This program has 0 interest rate.

GO READ THE TERMS AND AGREEMENTS.

Section 1, paragraph 4):
  • Credit Card Interest and other fees. You will be charged 0% APR on the Installment Loan. However, the issuer of your credit card may charge you interest or other fees under the terms and conditions in your cardmember agreement. This may include any applicable interest on unpaid balances or late payments. Your card issuer may not provide certain benefits in connection with loan payments charged to your card.

Not only that you are basically wasting your money trading in a phone each year. Just buy the phone in full, sell it for more money instead of having to refinance ANOTHER device the next year. Ridiculous financing for a cellphone. You are not buying a car here. It's a cellphone. Skip the stupid program and do the math. there is no free lunch.

rageguy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009

I buy a new iPhone every year. Every year I have to go on craigslist and list my old phone, and worry about getting robbed and shot dead. I rather pay the monthly fee and save my life (and time from selling old phone).

CJRhoades

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
Lafayette, IN
GO READ THE TERMS AND AGREEMENTS.

Section 1, paragraph 4):
  • Credit Card Interest and other fees. You will be charged 0% APR on the Installment Loan. However, the issuer of your credit card may charge you interest or other fees under the terms and conditions in your cardmember agreement. This may include any applicable interest on unpaid balances or late payments. Your card issuer may not provide certain benefits in connection with loan payments charged to your card.

Do you not understand how a credit card works? You don't pay interest if you pay your bill on time in full. My credit cards actually pay me to use them with cashback.

DolsJ

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008

32.41 a month x 24 months vs buying the phone at $649 and adding apple care plus for $129.

32.41x24=777.84
649+129=778.00

You're right! This program has ludicrous interest rates. o_O

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Do you not understand how a credit card works? You don't pay interest if you pay your bill on time in full. My credit cards actually pay me to use them with cashback.

You guys don't read the terms. It's not about whether or not you have great credit to qualify for the 0% APR in the first place, it's the fact that these programs are to get people who can't even pay their bills on time to suffer even more. The loan installment is thru your credit card.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
If you choose to upgrade and turn in your old phone after 12 months do you keep paying the same monthly rate?

From UK so unfamiliar with this

_mdavenport

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
California, USA
This is great news - I wanted to do iPhone upgrade program this year but didn't want to wait in line at a store.

Super disappointing that it's not availabe on T-Mobile though :( wonder if this is because of Apple or T-Mo?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Close, but not exactly. Looks like there's a $30 premium ($777.84 - $99 Applecare - $649 retail device cost = $29.84). So if you paid the device off over 24 months, you overpaid by $30 to have the option to turn it in at the 12 month for a new device. Pretty reasonable, seems to me. If you know you're going to keep it 24 months, there's always the normal installment plan, which works out to exactly the retail price.

Strange it doesn't work with T-Mobile, though.

Applecare + is $129. Not $99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.