iPhone Used to Browse MacRumors.com?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 25, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It looks like someone at Apple has started more openly testing the Apple iPhone across web sites, including MacRumors.com.

One reader tipped us off that they had come across iPhone browser identification strings in the Apache logs of their eBay images. According to their submitted logs, the browser identifies itself as:
    While browser identification strings can be easily spoofed, these requests originated from Apple's internal IP addresses.

After this tip, we were able to confirm similar findings in our own logs, verifying the above claims.

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Cool I hope they find and post in this thread :)

4. macrumors Core

seconded. thats just freaking awesome.

too bad they can't because of their NDAs. :p

5. macrumors 6502a

justflie

Haha. Awesome. But seriously, who routinely goes through their logs for an ebay site? lol. But hey, nice find!

6. Retired

psychofreak

Its Steve, and he's lurking here to stalk ME...

7. macrumors 6502

Detlev_73

Perhaps...

If this proves that folks at Apple look at MacRumors, then they clearly must have some idea of what users really want. Hopefully, they read the thread that was a nearly unanimous negative on the demise of the Mini, because it can't go away.

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

The perfect feel good news to hear after watching the perfect feel good film (Ferris Bueller :D )

9. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Wow... someone used an iPhone to look at a website and it's news :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502a

Peel

Arn,

So which rumors/forums did the good people at Apple look at whilst they were here at MacRumors?

11. macrumors 6502a

Vidd

12. macrumors demi-god

szark

Well, it was confirmed some time ago (by the mods) that Apple employees occasionally browse the site.

* waves to Apple employees *

And, it's news because it proves there are actual functional units roaming around, and we can determine some (but not much) information from the browser string.

13. macrumors 6502

Yeah... because the opinions of 400 Mac zealots make a dent in the Mini's target market. :p

14. macrumors 6502

512ke

I bet Apple Employees also want to know what the rumors are. They probably don't know everything that's behind closed doors at Apple either.

As for the testing... good. Let's hope they're testing the iPhone browser 24/7... to make sure it works on as many sites as possible.

15. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't feel comfortable posting any specific information from our own logs, as we generally are pretty strict about privacy of information when people browse our site. What I posted was submitted from an outside individual and I was able to verify it to be reputable.

arn

16. Retired

psychofreak

The mac fans have a great impact on the market...people convince other people to switch, who convince other people to switch, who convince other people to switch, who...

17. macrumors newbie

I believe it. Apple most certainly has people testing the iPhone as we speak.

18. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Apple would be insane NOT to have functional units being tested within a month of the product's launch.

19. macrumors 65816

eenu

20. macrumors 6502a

Seriously. This story made my day! :D Now to go enjoy a nice three-day weekend...

21. macrumors member

They were probably checking to see if the iPhone was still shipping at the end of June.

22. macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would love to see a screen shot of the iphone on MR.

23. macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Sorry if it's not newsworthy enough for you, buddy. We'll try and hunt down something that will suits your tastes. :rolleyes:

Awesome! Wish we had some accompanying pics.

24. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

25. macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I'm guessing it's fully functional seeing as launch date *appears* be less than 30 days away.

I've seen the videos a bazillion times but I am really looking forward to seeing firsthand how internet browsing on the iPhone pans out.