Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
i don’t understand the use of always on display if all you need to do is “tap to wake” what takes more battery ? the display pixels or the sensor waiting for the single tap. the people wanting, always on and 120 hz, are also going to get a smaller battery.. it’s almost guaranteed at the point.. and them same people are going to complain about battery life.

It’s all about extra functions that benefits the technology.

I found AOD to be less significant and visually distracting when I first saw it on Galaxy S7. Maybe Android utilize it more these days? And maybe Apple find a features worth having it somehow.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Agree, considering how our phones are always on us or right next to us, not hard to tap your screen once. ? no need for AOD, useless feature.

Well, as long as enough people want it, and the feature can be turned off anyway, then why complain about extra features? I find the feature useless for me personally as well, because of the Apple Watch, but for people who only use their phone as a watch I can definitely see the benefit.

Reactions: LFC2020

biker74

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Scotland
AOD is a really handy little feature. There are many settings for it and you can customise it to your liking. Samsung again, may be providing the screens for the iPhone here.

Apple tend to have a finesse to their products, probably why they’re so expensive. Samsung et al do progress quicker in some areas technologically, and Apple come along a few years later and perfect it. I’m sure Apples AOD will be good, well, if they let you customise it.

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Waiting for Apple...? The desktop for the mini and Max don't take into account the differences in size and resolution or app icon grid. Ability to use a grid that supports more rows and columns.

I think AOD is just something Apple is blocking their programmers and UI design department - They did mandate that apps had to support the Max's higher resolution rather than just zoom/magnify (something I still see happen on some iPad apps).

I use Samsung (S21U) and iPhone (12P) - hoping to meld the best of both.

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Having used both systems, I prefer iOS much more. Yes, it has it’s downsides, but the overall experience is much better.

Android is basically just spyware in my opinion. I compared my monthly data usage, with the same behavior iOS used only a third of data.

Privacy is important for me, and sure Apple isn’t a saint either, but at least they stop third party collectors from making profiles and collecting data.

I minimized my use of google products, and on my apple devices i don’t install any of their apps.

Don’t know, maybe it’s just getting older and i just don’t want an app for everything when i can do it with the browser too. I like to keep it simple and not so overblown.

Reactions: macdogpro

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
It’s all about extra functions that benefits the technology.

I found AOD to be less significant and visually distracting when I first saw it on Galaxy S7. Maybe Android utilize it more these days? And maybe Apple find a features worth having it somehow.
Been an android user up until the N20 Ultra, AOD never did anything much for me, much prefer touch screen for AOD / notifications quick view. You know, tapping the screen to briefly see notifications is what im referring which is useful.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I miss how with ios I can't just do a swipe down in the middle of the desktop screen to show status bar notifications. Shame. Or see icons on status bar on top. Double shame. Or that even junk mail was in the notification list (seems careless or worse.)

So not sold on how Apple implements notifications. At all. Android: more custom granular control.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I miss how with ios I can't just do a swipe down in the middle of the desktop screen to show status bar notifications. Shame. Or see icons on status bar on top. Double shame. Or that even junk mail was in the notification list (seems careless or worse.)

So not sold on how Apple implements notifications. At all. Android: more custom granular control.

You can set up the iPhone to show the notification screen with a double tap on the back of the phone...

Personally, I’ve always found notifications on Android to be an annoying mess. I much prefer how it works in iOS, albeit not perfectly either. Guess it all boils down to personal preferences again.

biker74

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Scotland
You can set up the iPhone to show the notification screen with a double tap on the back of the phone...

Personally, I’ve always found notifications on Android to be an annoying mess. I much prefer how it works in iOS, albeit not perfectly either. Guess it all boils down to personal preferences again.
Wait, what now? I can tap the back of the phone for more functionality? How does that work or even, how do you set that up?

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Wait, what now? I can tap the back of the phone for more functionality? How does that work or even, how do you set that up?

Well, my phone is in Norwegian, but it should be like this: Settings - Accessibility - Touch - Press backside. Apologies if it doesn’t translate exactly like that lol, but I think you’ll find the setting.

There are actually many useful features hidden under that ‘Accessibility’ sub-menu.

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

Gstavrev

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2020
And yet Android devices battery life is far better than iOS. I am sorry but my Sony phone with 2600 mAh offers me 5 days battery life. There is no iPhone that can offer me that. Yes, Android phones offer more RAM and have bigger batteries and this is why they are more
I would love to see a screenshot of your claimed 5 days battery life. I’m talking about actual real life usage, not just a phone sitting on a desk somewhere. There’s no modern top end smartphone that can provide a five day battery life on a single charge with normal usage :D

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I would love to see a screenshot of your claimed 5 days battery life. I’m talking about actual real life usage, not just a phone sitting on a desk somewhere. There’s no modern top end smartphone that can provide a five day battery life on a single charge with normal usage :D
My normal usage was explained in the post. I do not leave my mobile data on all the time. I turn it on when I need. I do not game a lot. I rely on active Bluetooth connection (because of smart wrist band that tracks my sleep and activity) and I have on average 1 hour phone calls a day that go through Bluetooth headset always.

This is the scenario that I have tested an Android phone (Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact with 2600 mPAh battery), iPhone 8 (I think that it is around 1820 mPAH) and iPhone 12 Pro (is it around 2800 mpAh). The two iPhones usually last 2 days, the Sony - 5 days. However the Sony uses machine learning for battery optimization.

You can see comparison here - https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10508&idPhone2=8573&idPhone3=8610

Endurance:

Sony - 108 hours
iPhone 8 - 66 hours
iPhone 12 Pro - 81 hours

There is a clear winner here. It is the Sony.

Last edited:

Gstavrev

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2020
Pls provide a screenshot from your usage, not from gsmarena. :) In their test they try to simulate real life usage but at the end of the day it’s just that - a simulation. And even in their test the phone doesn’t last 5 days :)

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Pls provide a screenshot from your usage, not from gsmarena. :) In their test they try to simulate real life usage but at the end of the day it’s just that - a simulation. And even in their test the phone doesn’t last 5 days :)
I no longer use this phone as I use now the iPhone Pro and the phone is no longer with me :). No matter how you take it - this is a proof that there are some Android phones that have better battery life than iPhones.

Last edited:

biker74

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Scotland
Well, my phone is in Norwegian, but it should be like this: Settings - Accessibility - Touch - Press backside. Apologies if it doesn’t translate exactly like that lol, but I think you’ll find the setting.

There are actually many useful features hidden under that ‘Accessibility’ sub-menu.
Thanks for that. I’ll check it out.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One thing i will mention is shutter speed always seems average to poor on most android phones apart from the pixel line. The iphone rarely gives me blurry photos of pets or family members or anything that is moving. If you switch Live Photo off the shutter speed is even quicker.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
One thing i will mention is shutter speed always seems average to poor on most android phones apart from the pixel line. The iphone rarely gives me blurry photos of pets or family members or anything that is moving. If you switch Live Photo off the shutter speed is even quicker.
This is true. My Sony phone had some good qualities but camera sucked. Like big time. It was not just the shutter speed, it is the quality, the app itself. It was a mess.

Bokka

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2018
I found this post by accident and it just happens when I have to make a decision: to stay with Android or try iOS for once in a lifetime.

Until now I have always had smartphones with Android (in the order Samsung Omnia HD, HTC Desire, Galaxy S5, and the current one, Google Pixel 3a).

Since my father would like to change his phone and I would give him mine, I have the opportunity to replace him.
Furthermore, I never liked the stock Android interface very much indeed, but I'm not even a person who installs various launchers to customize it, on the contrary, I think that customization is now the last thing that interests me, despite years ago on ' HTC Desire I tried practically all the existing custom roms, and then went back to the stock version because it was free of defects.

I am undecided between an iPhone 12 or a Galaxy S21, I know it is a considerable expense but I intend to keep the device as long as possible.

I've never had anything from Apple in my life, I've always heard of them and I've used some of their products sporadically, especially MacOS from High Sierra onwards.

The thing that holds me back in taking an iPhone is that I find Bixby more complete as a voice assistant and the same goes for the automations possible with Samsung (even if I have never tried them in the field).
Furthermore, as it is made, the Apple store seems more chaotic than the Android one, but it is certainly just a matter of habit.
Another thing holding me back from switching is the lack of an always on display feature on the iPhone, which I find very useful and which I exploit quite a lot.

On the other hand Samsung does not drive me crazy because I find it intolerable to use applications like Samsung Healt that have inside advertising banners, for this I do not compromise.
Consider that I also look at Windows 10 wrong when it offers me to install certain applications (functionality that I disabled as soon as I installed it).

I had read that IOS 15 could bring the always on display also on the iPhone but I would say that if it happens it will be from iPhone 13 onwards ....

In short, I'm quite indecisive.

I realize they are trifles, but I personally pay attention to them.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I found this post by accident and it just happens when I have to make a decision: to stay with Android or try iOS for once in a lifetime.

Until now I have always had smartphones with Android (in the order Samsung Omnia HD, HTC Desire, Galaxy S5, and the current one, Google Pixel 3a).

Since my father would like to change his phone and I would give him mine, I have the opportunity to replace him.
Furthermore, I never liked the stock Android interface very much indeed, but I'm not even a person who installs various launchers to customize it, on the contrary, I think that customization is now the last thing that interests me, despite years ago on ' HTC Desire I tried practically all the existing custom roms, and then went back to the stock version because it was free of defects.
Out of curiosity why you don't like the stock Android. I have never used stock Android, this is why I am asking.
I am undecided between an iPhone 12 or a Galaxy S21, I know it is a considerable expense but I intend to keep the device as long as possible.

I've never had anything from Apple in my life, I've always heard of them and I've used some of their products sporadically, especially MacOS from High Sierra onwards.

The thing that holds me back in taking an iPhone is that I find Bixby more complete as a voice assistant and the same goes for the automations possible with Samsung (even if I have never tried them in the field).
Interesting that you find Bixby more reliable than Siri. I have no experience with Samsung and Bixby but I have never heard that one. Usually what I hear is that Google Assistant is superior to Siri. Siri is well Siri. I honestly rarely use her because I do not see a lot of value from her.
Furthermore, as it is made, the Apple store seems more chaotic than the Android one, but it is certainly just a matter of habit.
This is true. I needed some time to adjust.
Another thing holding me back from switching is the lack of an always on display feature on the iPhone, which I find very useful and which I exploit quite a lot.
Can you share why you find this feature valuable?
On the other hand Samsung does not drive me crazy because I find it intolerable to use applications like Samsung Healt that have inside advertising banners, for this I do not compromise.
Consider that I also look at Windows 10 wrong when it offers me to install certain applications (functionality that I disabled as soon as I installed it).

I had read that IOS 15 could bring the always on display also on the iPhone but I would say that if it happens it will be from iPhone 13 onwards ....

In short, I'm quite indecisive.

I realize they are trifles, but I personally pay attention to them.
Makes sense and I kind of see your point. I was in a similar boat. There are things that I like in Android, there are things I enjoy in iOS. There are things I dislike about Android and there are things I dislike about iOS. Overall there is no mobile OS currently that meets fully my expectations and standards. So I kind of accepted that and just focused on 4-5 things that are key for me. In my case one of the key thing was the camera. And in that sense I found that the Samsung and iOS flagships have maybe the best overall cameras. I am not super fan of Samsung and IMO Samsung
s OneUI starts lagging after 2 years. Given the price of the devices (S21 vs iPhone 12) I chose the iPhone because IMO Apple supports and maintains their devices better than Android.

Does that mean that there are no days where I wonder WTH the Apple developers were smoking doing some iOS aspects? Nope, there are such days but it does not happen every day and so far I can tolerate it at the expense of the camera. That being said I am rather cautious on Apple major versions updates and do take my sweet time to update (translation - wait for others to test it and find the bugs and have them fixed).

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
??? !2 pro max tiny battery destroys these so called big boys ?

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 6.20.51 am.png

Bokka

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2018
Out of curiosity why you don't like the stock Android. I have never used stock Android, this is why I am asking.

Actually it is not correct to say that I don't like the Android Stock interface, but I prefer an interface like the touchwiz that allows you to have some shortcuts and functions where you need it, I don't know why, but I find it more pleasant. The stock Android interface is a little more basic. You may like it or not, they are personal tastes, I would never allow myself to discuss this thing.

Interesting that you find Bixby more reliable than Siri. I have no experience with Samsung and Bixby but I have never heard that one. Usually what I hear is that Google Assistant is superior to Siri. Siri is well Siri. I honestly rarely use her because I do not see a lot of value from her.

I'm based on what I've seen in the various comparison videos on YouTube about voice assistants.
I know that Google Assistant is light years ahead of the others, but if I take a Samsung I would like to use Samsung services, so in this case Bixby.
Why is Bixby more advanced than Siri?
There are things it can do, secondary things mind you, like telling me what movies are on TV tonight, while neither google nor Siri can do it for example.

If I ask Siri to play a song on YouTube it cannot do it because it is related to Apple Music, while Bixby does it quietly and other small things.
By now all assistants do the basic functions well and it will be very difficult for me to ask my mobile phone what movie there are on TV tonight, but this is to make you understand that even the little things make the difference.

Can you share why you find this feature valuable?

Gladly.

I keep my phone by my bed at night in airplane mode.
It happens every now and then that I wake up and in the dark I can see the time.

I also find it very convenient as a function to pass by the phone during the day and see if there are missed calls or notifications without having to pick it up. Can you do without it? Of course, as indeed as for almost all things.

Makes sense and I kind of see your point. I was in a similar boat. There are things that I like in Android, there are things I enjoy in iOS. There are things I dislike about Android and there are things I dislike about iOS. Overall there is no mobile OS currently that meets fully my expectations and standards. So I kind of accepted that and just focused on 4-5 things that are key for me. In my case one of the key thing was the camera. And in that sense I found that the Samsung and iOS flagships have maybe the best overall cameras. I am not super fan of Samsung and IMO Samsung
s OneUI starts lagging after 2 years. Given the price of the devices (S21 vs iPhone 12) I chose the iPhone because IMO Apple supports and maintains their devices better than Android.

Does that mean that there are no days where I wonder WTH the Apple developers were smoking doing some iOS aspects? Nope, there are such days but it does not happen every day and so far I can tolerate it at the expense of the camera. That being said I am rather cautious on Apple major versions updates and do take my sweet time to update (translation - wait for others to test it and find the bugs and have them fixed).

I still hate Samsung for some choices made, I also don't like the fact that I have dual applications on the phone, such as two galleries (Google and Samsung), two voice assistants (Assistant and Bixby), two browsers (Samsung Internet and Chrome), two email clients (samsung mail and Gmail) and two digital payment methods (Samsung Pay and Google Pay).
It must be said that they can be disabled and from a certain point of view it is called "choice".

Another thing to say about Samsung is the removal of the MST sensor which was the thing that made it possible to use it pretty much anywhere. Reading around the reason is because more and more POSs support NFC and make the use of MST superfluous.
But after this change, I see no reason to use Samsung Pay rather than Google Pay. Really, if anyone has this answer I would like to hear it. I'm not argumentative, but I'm curious.

But on the other hand, I have more things at home that would bind to the Samsung ecosystem, in fact from what I know its applications integrate very well with Windows 10 after the partnership with Microsoft, which makes them recover some ground towards the Apple ecosystem.
I have an Xbox Series S and a Samsung TV at home, in short, let's say that I somehow already live in the Samsung / Microsoft ecosystem, here is another reason that makes me hesitate.

In short, the desire to try "the competition" is great, but my rational part tells me that perhaps it is better not to do it, at least for the moment, while the more enterprising one tells me to throw myself and try. At most I can resell it because the positive thing is that over time the devaluation is less than for android smartphones in general.

And as you rightly said, Apple's support as software updates over time is much longer and better than any other, which makes your purchase much more valuable and this is by no means a trivial matter.

There are a couple of other things that make me really mad about Apple are these:

Speaking of MacOS, the calendar widget in Big Sur cannot be synchronized with the calendar application. What does it mean? That once the widget is shown, I can't see at a glance if I have any commitments on a given day, if they had for example put a red dot on the days when I have a commitment it would have been a welcome thing and I think more intuitive.

Another thing: in Apple Maps the street where my parents live is written wrong. I reported this to Apple via two friends' iPhones and it was never corrected. In the street name there is an extra "i" at the end of the word.

I know these are little things too, but from devices that aim to be excellence both in price and in software, I think these little things make a difference and given the price I really struggle to pass them on.

Last thing always inherent to MacOS: but is it possible that QuickTime still cannot play all video formats? Some MKVs don't want to play them, while Windows Media Player works with just about everything.
I know there is VLC but the speech I just made is always valid.

Last edited:

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Actually it is not correct to say that I don't like the Android Stock interface, but I prefer an interface like the touchwiz that allows you to have some shortcuts and functions where you need it, I don't know why, but I find it more pleasant. The stock Android interface is a little more basic. You may like it or not, they are personal tastes, I would never allow myself to discuss this thing.
I see.
I'm based on what I've seen in the various comparison videos on YouTube about voice assistants.
I know that Google Assistant is light years ahead of the others, but if I take a Samsung I would like to use Samsung services, so in this case Bixby.
Why is Bixby more advanced than Siri?
There are things it can do, secondary things mind you, like telling me what movies are on TV tonight, while neither google nor Siri can do it for example.
Interesting :).
If I ask Siri to play a song on YouTube it cannot do it because it is related to Apple Music, while Bixby does it quietly and other small things.
By now all assistants do the basic functions well and it will be very difficult for me to ask my mobile phone what movie there are on TV tonight, but this is to make you understand that even the little things make the difference.
Yes, Siri tends to discriminate by apps. Not a fan of that. I use Siri mainly to set reminders and this is where our relationship ends. Useful she is not. Plus Englishs is my first language and well Siri and I do not always understand each other.
Gladly.

I keep my phone by my bed at night in airplane mode.
It happens every now and then that I wake up and in the dark I can see the time.

I also find it very convenient as a function to pass by the phone during the day and see if there are missed calls or notifications without having to pick it up. Can you do without it? Of course, as indeed as for almost all things.
This makes sense. I have a wrist band and I use it for the purpose to check the time if I wake up during the night. If I did not have it, I would have resorted to my phone too.
I still hate Samsung for some choices made, I also don't like the fact that I have dual applications on the phone, such as two galleries (Google and Samsung), two voice assistants (Assistant and Bixby), two browsers (Samsung Internet and Chrome), two email clients (samsung mail and Gmail) and two digital payment methods (Samsung Pay and Google Pay).
It must be said that they can be disabled and from a certain point of view it is called "choice".
That does sounds weird and annoying. Can you delete them and leave only one of each?
Another thing to say about Samsung is the removal of the MST sensor which was the thing that made it possible to use it pretty much anywhere. Reading around the reason is because more and more POSs support NFC and make the use of MST superfluous.
But after this change, I see no reason to use Samsung Pay rather than Google Pay. Really, if anyone has this answer I would like to hear it. I'm not argumentative, but I'm curious.
It is true that NFC is the standard compared to MST. However I do see your point re Samsung Pay. To be honest I did not want to set up pay whatever on my Android phone. Not sure that I trust Google that much
But on the other hand, I have more things at home that would bind to the Samsung ecosystem, in fact from what I know its applications integrate very well with Windows 10 after the partnership with Microsoft, which makes them recover some ground towards the Apple ecosystem.
I have an Xbox Series S and a Samsung TV at home, in short, let's say that I somehow already live in the Samsung / Microsoft ecosystem, here is another reason that makes me hesitate.

Yes, Apple devices play nice with apple devices. With Windows not so much. Also iTunes for Windows can take the award for the most WTF app out there. It is pure BS and I prefer to use it as least as possible.
In short, the desire to try "the competition" is great, but my rational part tells me that perhaps it is better not to do it, at least for the moment, while the more enterprising one tells me to throw myself and try. At most I can resell it because the positive thing is that over time the devaluation is less than for android smartphones in general.

And as you rightly said, Apple's support as software updates over time is much longer and better than any other, which makes your purchase much more valuable and this is by no means a trivial matter.
Yes, IMO once surpass certain price threshold Apple makes more sense.
There are a couple of other things that make me really mad about Apple are these:

Speaking of MacOS, the calendar widget in Big Sur cannot be synchronized with the calendar application. What does it mean? That once the widget is shown, I can't see at a glance if I have any commitments on a given day, if they had for example put a red dot on the days when I have a commitment it would have been a welcome thing and I think more intuitive.
That sounds weird. I have no MacOS device so I cannot comment on that one.
Another thing: in Apple Maps the street where my parents live is written wrong. I reported this to Apple via two friends' iPhones and it was never corrected. In the street name there is an extra "i" at the end of the word.
Yeah, I tend to use Google Maps. Apple Maps can lead me to dangerous roads thinking that I am driving when I am walking.
I know these are little things too, but from devices that aim to be excellence both in price and in software, I think these little things make a difference and given the price I really struggle to pass them on.

Last thing always inherent to MacOS: but is it possible that QuickTime still cannot play all video formats? Some MKVs don't want to play them, while Windows Media Player works with just about everything.
I know there is VLC but the speech I just made is always valid.
Apple is walled garden. There is one thing that I try to be very careful or as much as possible - whatever I do with my iphone I do not want to tie in myself to the Apple ecosystem because I am not sure that I want to be long term Apple user. Right now it makes sense for me but I don't know if I would feel this way in 5 years. The fact that historically I have not always been a fan of Apple and I do not enjoy everything they do. There are things about iOS that I dislike and I do find Android (the OS, not the apps selection) more refined, more intuitive and more stable than iOS.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Apple is walled garden. There is one thing that I try to be very careful or as much as possible - whatever I do with my iphone I do not want to tie in myself to the Apple ecosystem
This ecosystem/locked in talk is over blown, I own multiple apple products, don’t use iCloud, iMessage only on my iPhone.

Way I see it, no one is locked into anything, one can leave when he or she wants out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.