Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Think there is any chance there will be a CDMA iPhone when it is released?

I have ALLTEL and their service is CDMA.

DA-Steve

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
Adelaide Australia
cdma is being phased out in Australia... they have some nextG network to replace it though..

just a thought.. do you think they might call it the Ipod Phone? rather than the iPhone.. since it is based on the ipod

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
all i care about will be :

can it make phone calls
can it make video calls
can it sync with my Mac (e-mail,contacts,iCal,textpad)
will it have a small version of Dashboard widgets on -
Camera quailty should be on par with the new iSights
Batt life needs to be bloody good!
Build quality of the phone
weight should be under 120g
screen is 320x240 or above
has some funky ring tones
has the DONG when you turn the phone on like my mac ;)
can play Video Podcasts
has a min 512Mb memory ideal 1-2gb
comes in black ,white and red

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
all i care about will be :

can it make phone calls
can it make video calls
can it sync with my Mac (e-mail,contacts,iCal,textpad)
will it have a small version of Dashboard widgets on -
Camera quailty should be on par with the new iSights
Batt life needs to be bloody good!
Build quality of the phone
weight should be under 120g
screen is 320x240 or above
has some funky ring tones
has the DONG when you turn the phone on like my mac ;)
can play Video Podcasts
has a min 512Mb memory ideal 1-2gb
comes in black ,white and red

is that all??!! :p you don;t ask for much, do you!!! and the price should be under $10 (£5)!

i personally would rather it didnt DONG! anyway, what does this have to do with whether it works on CDMA networks?

@wakerider: who knows? there is only rumor at the moment.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
is that all??!! :p you don;t ask for much, do you!!! and the price should be under $10 (£5)!

i personally would rather it didnt DONG! anyway, what does this have to do with whether it works on CDMA networks?

@wakerider: who knows? there is only rumor at the moment.
i would rather it be sold via Apple.com and for less then £400

and the DONG is important :cool:

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
cdma is being phased out in Australia... they have some nextG network to replace it though..

just a thought.. do you think they might call it the Ipod Phone? rather than the iPhone.. since it is based on the ipod

Really?

CDMA is a MUCH more advanced technology than GSM...

Shouldn't they be phasing out GSM by now in the US?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
CDMA is more advanced, but GSM is widely accepted and it used all over world. It is the dominate network and will remain so until it's developed even more.

iPhone will be GSM, by the way.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Really?

This is not entirely true. CDMA has a higher floor-noise than GSM. As well, most CDMA technologies are patented and must be licensed from Qualcomm.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
CDMA is more advanced, but GSM is widely accepted and it used all over world. It is the dominate network and will remain so until it's developed even more.

iPhone will be GSM, by the way.

Well said Warbrain. I agree too that the iPod Phone will be GSM.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
If a company like this really wanted to make a phone and only one, dual-mode (pretty common these days) would make more sense than picking only one.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
What about GPRS? Or is that not a network thingymajigger?

My phone- all of them infact since 2000 - have GSM and GPRS. Cant say I have heard of CDMA.

:confused:

Then again as long as I can make calls on it I dont give a rats ass. Im not bothered about music, games, photos, videos etc. I just want a sexy PHONE from Apple.

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
Really?

No, it's not. GSM is a version of TDMA, and CDMA is not more advanced. It uses a technology that has certain pro's and con's versus GSM. GSM phones actually use less battery life. CDMA has a lower likelihood to drop calls. CDMA has more capacity per cell, but the distribution of cells by both GSM and CDMA is so dense to accommodate buildings, hills, etc. that it has become irrelevant.

Now, beyond the more engineering-esque standards, everyone uses GSM. Why? Because using CDMA for cell phone technology has to be licensed from Qualcomm, and that sucks. Any number of carriers can use GSM without paying licensing. I'd rather have a phone that works everywhere (and does what I want) than a phone that works with one or two carriers in only a few countries and does what I want.

Now, if you are referring to the data rates currently achieved by CDMA companies using EV-DO, that standard is indeed faster than current GPRS and EDGE technologies favoured by GSM carriers. However, the nextgen data system that is being implemented by most GSM carriers, UTMS, is very competitive with EV-DO. It is implemented throughout the UK and T-Mobile US is rolling out a network in North America, as well.

Note also that 3G standards and their 2G counterparts are not always a matched pair. UTMS is a Wideband-CDMA technology, but being used by GSM (a TDMA technology) and 2G and 3G layers don't have to both use TDMA or CDMA technology.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
If a company like this really wanted to make a phone and only one, dual-mode (pretty common these days) would make more sense than picking only one.

I think the 80% rule applies here too. If almost all of the consumers are on GSM then that is what they are going to choose. As well, dual mode phones are larger in size than single mode ones.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I think the 80% rule applies here too. If almost all of the consumers are on GSM then that is what they are going to choose. As well, dual mode phones are larger in size than single mode ones.

You're right, CDMA is a fairly obscure system. Outside Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Brazil, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Colombia, Congo, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Macau, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Netherland Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saipan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, Tajikstan, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, Ukraine, US, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, and Zambia, it isn't used.

The size difference isn't what it used to be, modern ones are pretty small.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
You're right, CDMA is a fairly obscure system. Outside Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Brazil, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Colombia, Congo, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Macau, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Netherland Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saipan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, Tajikstan, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, Ukraine, US, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, and Zambia, it isn't used.

Hmm I dont agree. Im Polish and we use GSM only. UMTS in POland Czech Republic is really bad and patchy. You can ony use it in major cities and even there its droped often.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

The size difference isn't what it used to be, modern ones are pretty small.

This is not true. I think you are confusing CDMA2000 and WCDMA. CDMA2000 is the one used in the USA (e.g sprint) and WCDMA is the 3G of GSM. Most of the world's mobile operators run GSM core networks which can be upgraded to WCDMA for much less than it costs to switch to CDMA2000 technology. As well, a GSM network can be switched to a WCDMA without affecting current GSM customers.

Concerning this country list, there is currently no CDMA2000 or WCDMA deployed in Egypt (only GSM).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think is will be GSM only because apple is not going to want to pay another company money in royalties to use CMDA. Apple seems to have a history of not wanting to pay a dime in that area. They will go open source or find ways around dealing with it.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
A phone I would buy in a heartbeat:

Sleek white apple design
Good, iPod/iTunes like music player, with iPod connectivity
Use of iPod earbuds
Smartphone funtionality
  • Calander
  • GPS
  • Planner
  • Full Internet browser
2.0 + MP camera
Touchscreen/Stylus with onscreen keyboard
-or-
Built in QWERTY keyboard (or both)

Something like that! Gimme!

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
A phone I would buy in a heartbeat:

Sleek white apple design
Good, iPod/iTunes like music player, with iPod connectivity
Use of iPod earbuds
Smartphone funtionality
  • Calander
  • GPS
  • Planner
  • Full Internet browser
2.0 + MP camera
Touchscreen/Stylus with onscreen keyboard
-or-
Built in QWERTY keyboard (or both)

Something like that! Gimme!

yeah, me too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.