iPhone? Why not on page 2

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mashinhead, Dec 3, 2004.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    Macrumors has been a little slow in the news dept. lately (no offense :) ) so when i ran across this engadget post (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000253022479/) i was surprised not to see it on here. Unless i missed it. Not saying its true, or anything but just thought ppl here would be interested.
  2. sgarringer macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2004
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Perhaps because it has been debated up and down on here and the general consensis is because Apple is making iTunes software for Motorola phones they're not going to release their own.

Of couse, the link you posted doesn't load for me. But I'd imagine its the same old song-and-dance about how Apple shoud / is going to / has a prototype for a cellular phone. And, I think we all beleive thats just not true.
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Rumours of an iPhone have been round forever and never yielded anything exciting, apart from a few mock up photos. However, I think this could all change with the advent of VoIP - Apple could do something really exciting here. iPhone/iChat combo could prove to be a big hit and with the success of Skype, the market is definitely there. Well here's hoping iphone.org will show something exciting soon! ;)
  4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Oh my gosh, Apple owns that domain?!
    (I have a feeling you and everyone else knew this already, is that right, munkle? ;) )

Anyway, why do you suppose it’s .org and not .com? The .org makes me think it would be some kind of free VoIP client, rather than an actual for-sale phone or product.
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    A Motorola/ Apple phone would be amazing. Two of my favorite compainies, in one! Although I would be ticked a bit cause I just got the V3.
  6. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Why not on page 2? Because page 2 is for unsupported rumors. iPhone rumors go on page 3, but unfortunately there is no page 3 yet.

Re VOIP, has anyone ported any of the free SIP apps to Mac OS X yet? I've used Skype... but I recently got a Sipura 3000 and service from Broadvoice.com which includes unlimited incoming calls and, well, it's a lot better.
  7. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    naaaa, there are always rumours for apple phones. I honestly can't see this happening. The mobile iTunes thing is good, but i don't think that apple would seriously be able to enter the mobile/cell phone market without launching a line of iPhones and i personally don't think that they're prepared to make that kind of investment into yet another type of technology. The only way you would get an iPhone is if it was an apple branded phone made by motorola or someone.

Its a pipe dream i tells ya!
  8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Only if they went with Sprint PCS as a provider.
  9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Yeah, that's the other thing... so many people will want it but it will be available only on one or two service providers if things go the way they are.
  10. johnpg macrumors member

May 21, 2002
  11. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2004
    Apex, N.C
    I don't think even MacOSRumors has touched this one (which is Page 3, in many ways. :) ). Although I can't say I wouldn't buy it if it were actually put into production.