iPhone won't stop trying to send an email

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Snaz, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Snaz macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G, and seeing as how it doesn't shoot video, I downloaded an app for it.
    Well, after shooting a video, I wanted to email it to someone and it warned me that the size was too big to send, but the warning said it would try.
    So I proceeded, and the email failed to send. But now, my phone won't stop trying to send this stupid email. My battery lasts MAYBE 2 hours because it is constantly trying to send this email. Everytime I open my email it is sitting there trying to send this email, and killing the battery. My phone has become sluggish because of this.
    When it fails to send it alerts me, then kicks the email to the outbox, then instantly tries again.
    I went into my configurations and changed the "push" setting to manual, and then I turned "push" off. But I realize that will do nothing.
    How do I tell my phone to give up with the email?
    My phone Totally dies and is out of juice at 10:30, only two hours after I unplug it in the morning, and I don't even use it in between... It just keeps sending that email.
    Thanks,

2. Snaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a bump to the top. I've had to disable the email on my phone to prevent the battery from dying. If I leave my phone on, while leaving the email account active, my phone gets really hot because it just sits there and thinks about sending the email. Anyone ever had this problem?

3. Snaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump

Bump, 14 days later and it is still trying to send this stupid email. Any suggestions?

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Open your email app, then hold the lock button and the home button at the same time. Hold them both untill the 'slide to turn off' has passed, then it's gone blank, keep holding when the Apple appears, if you keep holding the apple will disappear. At this point, release the buttons, and then turn on the phone normally, when the phone boots up, open your email app right away, it'll say 'loading' at the bottom. Open your Outbox, slide your finger to the right over the email, a 'delete' button will appear, delete the email.

Speed is key during the last stage, or the phone will remember it has email to send, and begin sending again.

Hope this works for you too!

5. winterfarm03 macrumors newbie

It Worked For Me, Thank You!!

YES YES YES!! This totally worked on the second try, the first time I wasn't sure if I was doing it right and it just booted back up but I wasn't in the email app. THANK YOU!!!!!

6. GleisenGlousen macrumors newbie

Alternative Workaround

I've got the 4S and the same thing was happening to me. I put it in airplane mode, which in turn caused the email program to stop attempting to send the email because it had lost connection. Then I clicked Edit and Delete. No need for speed on this one. :)

7. MargieP44 macrumors newbie

This was the best idea! Airplane mode did the trick quickly for me. Thanks!

8. 1984 rules macrumors newbie

Many thanks to GleisenGlousen...

because you stopped me throwing the newly acquired iPhone out of the window...

My sincere thanks - your solution is simple and worked perfectly! (and made me join this Forum just to say thank you!).:)

9. bigjcliff macrumors newbie

I also have the iPhone 4s. Same problem, but what am I missing here?
    When I put it in airplane mode and go into mail app..... My Mailboxes are; Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, Archive, Junk, and Notes. I can't find where my message that wont send is..... to edit and delete it. Just got my 4th delivery notification this morning, want it to STOP!! thanks

10. ME109 macrumors newbie

What type of mail service are you using bigjcliff?

If you are using Exchange try this :
    (1) Take it out of Airplane Mode,
    (2) Navigate back to Mailboxes,
    (3) Scroll down to Accounts,
    (4) Click on Exchange,
    (5) Scroll down to the "Outbox" folder to find an email that has not been sent yet
    (6) Swipe right on the email
    (7) Click on delete

Hope this helps (if not you, someone else reading this blog).

11. Independencer macrumors newbie

Oh... It is just that easy! Your 2 years ago post just saved my iPhone 5 from keeping sending that huge stupid mail. Thank you! Thank you so much!!!

12. stickygreen macrumors newbie

stickygreen

Thanks so much for this post!

After 3 days of my device trying to send an Email with a image attachment, I have used alot of data, this was the fix I needed.

13. Travis01 macrumors newbie

Turn off wifi and cellular data. Go to email and delete it.

14. cattysumo macrumors newbie

It's 2016 and it works for the iPhone 6

15. Skyleesmomsrb macrumors newbie

Skyleesmomsrb

I was having this same issue and had no idea how to change it. I just found this and tried it and it worked!! Thank you so much!!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2016 ---
    I was having the same issue and had no idea how to fix it. I found this message and tried the suggested and it worked!!! Thank you so much!!

16. marthaeverett macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2016 ---
    I understand all of this, but when I go to swipe it so that I can push delete, it doesn't slide. Any suggestions?
    I hope that someone can help me...won't slide so that I can push delete. Thanks

17. C DM macrumors Nehalem

What version of iOS do you have and what phone?

18. marthaeverett macrumors newbie

New 6s, where do I find the version of iOS? Thx
    New 6s, don't know version

19. C DM macrumors Nehalem

So if you go to the email that is stuck sending is there not a trash/delete option there like for any other email?

20. marthaeverett macrumors newbie

Delete button is gray, does nothing
    Delete button does nothing
    Won't slide across :/

21. Cassie2015 macrumors member

Cassie2015

For your situation, First I suggest you to turning off the network and try to delete the email, if doesn't solve the problem, try to unload your email app and then try to download it again. Some same problem can be solved

22. marthaeverett macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. A genius-in-training had me do that and it worked!