iPhone, You Make a Terrible Flashlight!

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by katie ta achoo, Sep 3, 2007.

1. macrumors G3

[​IMG]

There have been horrid, terrible storms for the last few days. Why, yesterday I got flooded a block and a half away from my house. I had to pull over for 45 minutes before I could drive the 100 feet to get to my driveway. (Thanks, mysterious neighbor whose driveway I borrowed!)

Today, though… today was fun. I had just finished closing down the registers when

BOOM!

Read Full Article

2. macrumors regular

CBJammin103

I've actually had great success with my iPhone as a flashlight, but this is a pretty funny way to take that to another level. :p

3. macrumors 601

macduke

I've found the iPhone works great as a flashlight. I went camping about a month ago in southern Pennsylvania and every time the girlfriend needed to go to the bathroom at night we would head off into the wilderness with the iPhone shining the way. I would just pull up a webpage before it loads (which was easy to do since there was hardly any service at the campsite), crank the iPhone up to full brightness, and turn off the auto-brightness for some flashlight filled fun. It is much brighter then my last cell phone. Too bad there isn't a built in flash for the camera as that would work great as well.

4. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Works great in strange hotel rooms at night! Woke my girlfriend up it was so bright in a pitch black room.

5. macrumors member

I tried this... didn't think it was all too great. You know what works great? GOOGLE!

6. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

As the iPhone is not out in the UK yet, I'm getting by with an old boring flashlight.:(

7. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I turned the brightness all the way up and the iPhone before and it worked great as a flashlight for me. :confused:

When the power goes out, you can't be picky. Of course the MacBook would make a much better flashlight but, these devices obviously aren't designed to be used as one. ;)

8. macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I just talked with a friend about this the other day. Turn the brightness all the way up, and go to a web page that is mostly white, and you're perfectly fine. I don't know if these images will help narrow the beam, but my friend (who's Ericcson had a Flashlight in it) had to agree completely, that the iPhone "flash light" (without the images) worked perfectly well (brightness turned up). His phone does SOS too (morse code). Honestly speaking, this needs to just be a native app, that can temorarily reset the brightness controls, etc.

~ CB

9. Guest

calculus

Funnily enough my torch (flashlight) is no good as a phone...

10. macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

So if you just get a plain white image it will work just fine as well? I agree it would be easy for a programmer to easily make a app that shows up plain white and temporarily turns up the brightness to full.

11. macrumors 6502a

I used my iPhone as a flashlight this weekend, on the way to and from the bathroom from my hotel bed. Ugh, that'll teach me to drink entirely too much...

12. macrumors member

The iPhone isn't a $800 phone.

"So, I get home and google iPhone flashlight, just for giggles. The best thing ever came up: iPhone flashlight. "

Why didn't you just check it up on your iPhone.

Silly.

13. macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

I don't really see the point of the images at all. When you want a flashlight, just turn the brightness all the way up-then leave it on that page (the brightness page is plenty close enough to white, AND then you don't have to go anywhere to turn it back down.)

This picture thing is way too many complicated steps. If you don't want full brightness, just turn the brightness up less, and you cut off several steps over doing it using these pictures.

However, I think I just found the application that could get me into native development. I think I'll look into how easy this would be as soon as I have some free time.

14. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Really? I'd call up the manufacturer right away, sounds like it's defective! ;) :p :D

15. macrumors 6502

on set

Was filming for two nights in the woods for this indie film I'm working on and didn't have one of the head lamps most people use. We had about a 200 yard path to walk down, kind of by a river. iPhone performed wonderfully. Brightness all the way up and a white page like everyone else. No need for silly images I think, but eh....

16. macrumors 6502

including tax and monthly bill, hell yes it's worth $800

17. Guest

calculus

I'm going to start a class action - who's with me?

18. macrumors 6502

it is so you cant cheat

when you play hide n seek or like sardines... I am sick of people using there phones as cheating devices in the game... I brought it up to apple. they promised me they would make things good for me!!!

sorry this one is my fault

jk

what was the final resort of the power?

19. macrumors member

20. macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

But this doesn't automatically change the brightness, does it?

That's what the app ought to do.

21. macrumors 6502

thats like the "flash" on a computer web cam, the screen just brightens for a sec

22. macrumors 68040

ghall

Geez, it can do all that cool stuff, but it sure makes a cruddy flashlight. :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 65816

It makes a better flashlight than my two previous options (razr or nano)

24. macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Mine works great for that for finding my way from my room door to the bed at night. Other than that though that's about all I use it for.

25. macrumors 6502

I didn't think the iphone did flash.