iPhone5 - Cramps when typing one-handedly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Casimono, Nov 9, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I tried out the iPhone 5 in the store and found this strange problem - can anybody say if it solves itself with time or practice?

The device has a bigger screen, and with that comes the fact that the keyboard is further down. Now with all previous iPhones, when using it with only one hand, one could easily balance the phone on four fingers and reach each key with the thumb. Now on the iPhone 5, the space key is so far down that I have to cramp the thumb enormously. I could just hold the Phone further down, but that makes the device top-heavy and it would fall out of the hand above my four fingers.

Is there a technique or a trick that you use that solves this issue?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 68020

John T

3. macrumors regular

I have noticed this to some extent as well, though I have mostly gotten used to it.

4. macrumors 68020

Wow you really needed to make a thread about your hand cramping when you type one handed? Wow.... just wow.

5. macrumors 6502

numberforty1

take a midol.

6. macrumors 68020

sviato

I've never called one of these but uh..crampgate?

7. macrumors 6502

I would assume I have smaller hands than you (small girl hands), and I don't have a problem with hand cramping with one handed typing. However, I don't 'grip' the phone with the other 4 fingers, but the phone rests on 3 fingers with my pinky kinda cupping or resting on the bottom edge. It's fine for me but if someone was to come and smack the bottom of my hand, the phone would probably fly into my face.