Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Interesting...

I suppose not as many plan on jumping ship as some suggest...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/iphone-5-demand-triples-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-survey-says

iPhone-5-Demand-2.jpg

Samsung has every reason to celebrate, and also a very big reason to watch its back. Just as company president JK Shin announced more than 10 million sales of the Galaxy S III in just two months, a new Changewave study shows that demand for the upcoming iPhone 5 triples that for Samsung’s flagship phone.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
We note that this survey is primarily North American, with 88% of respondents from the US.

Looks like it has the potential to do well in the United States with such a U.S bias in the survey. I wonder how well it would have done if more respondents from Asia or Europe were polled?

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Interesting...

So much for android fans being the only ones with an inferiority complex :D

Also, if you're gonna say fragmentation every time android is mentioned, at least take into account all the implications of your argument. The SIII isn't the only phone running Android and when there's so many choices, of course demand is gonna be lower for one of the phones compared to Apple, which only releases one phone per year.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
There are too many problems with this. For one the title of the article is a bit misleading in that it is intentionally sensational, for the reason of getting you to read it. In reality, the survey actually doesn't really hold much water for several reasons. I'll outline a few of them for you:

1) The survey only included 4,042 people. That is a very small number to represent an entire population.

2) 88% of the people surveyed were in the United States. Considering that a very large portion of Samsung's Galaxy sales come from outside the United States, that's ignoring a large number of potential consumers.

3) It is a comparison of a phone that has 100% known specs, against a phone that in order to describe, requires pure speculation.

4) You're comparing demand of a phone that had already begun to be released, versus one that is still months away. Anticipation is always going to be higher for the device that hadn't come out yet.

This link is where I got the demographic info from https://451research.com/report-long?icid=2423

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
My guess is that a lot of current iphone users will upgrade if the form factor changes. Right now, many people haven't upgraded b/c the device looks pretty much the same and its hard to tell one version from another by looks alone.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Surveys are usually garbage fed to the media for a campaign.

Surveys mean very little in the grand scheme of things. We,know Samsung sold 10million S3's in under 2 months. Samsung is predicting to sell over 50million smartphones for the quarter, thanks in large part to the S3. Samsung is now dwarfing Apple in marketshare and now they are beginning to catch up in profits too. This is the main reason Apple is putting some much litigation towards Samsung. Apple has nothimg but lawyers to throw at them. If the iphone 5 is a flop, They are gonna have to spin it somehow.

Last edited:

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
The iphone 5 is a flop. They are gonna have to spin it somehow.

I don't think the Iphone 5 will be a flop. There are a bunch of Iphone users on old hardware that will use this as an opportunity to upgrade. Someone who may have not upgraded for Siri or Retina, may upgrade for a larger screen.

Having said this, we also don't know what the competition will be around this time as well.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I don't think the Iphone 5 will be a flop. There are a bunch of Iphone users on old hardware that will use this as an opportunity to upgrade. Someone who may have not upgraded for Siri or Retina, may upgrade for a larger screen.

Having said this, we also don't know what the competition will be around this time as well.

I agree. The next iPhone will not flop, it will sale if for no other reason than it having a new form factor. With the name "iPhone" will come sales regardless. I think the other manufacturers missed a golden opportunity last year with a relatively underwhelming 4S being released. There was as much excitement around the 4S' release, and the other manufacturers should have capitalized on that. That opportunity is now gone, as the next iphone having a different form factor is going to cause a stir just on that alone. They could not add any new features and only change it physically, and it would sell like hotcakes.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Quote;

The survey included a brief description of the S III’s features along with a preview description of the iPhone 5′s expected highlights, including a larger display and 4G LTE capability.

Unquote;

Worthless survey that doesn't level the playing field.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The S3 is only one of several high end Android phones compete against the iPhone 5. If the goal is to determine future market share you would need to include all of those phones as well (some of which haven't been announced yet like the iPhone 5.)

If Apple can sell 100 million mildly refreshed iPhone 4's (i.e., the 4S) there's no doubt they'll sell boatloads of iPhone 5's.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Interesting...

I suppose not as many plan on jumping ship as some suggest...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/iphone-5-demand-triples-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-survey-says

In the past few weeks there has been so many Android posts on this forum that the mods had to create a new sub forum. I've never seen so many people leaving iOS in this forum. This has made people like you so afraid that you have created 3 different threads bashing Android (11 reasons I left Android, this one and the one about developers).

You are talking about the average consumer. This average consumer has also bought 400 million Android devices last year. Much more than Apple I think.

So yes, many people are leaving iOS and I predict much more will in the next year. Maybe no single phone will sell as much as an iPhone, but the total will always be bigger than iOS.

Just enjoy your iPhone. It doesn't matter if Android sells more or if their phones are more powerful and better. If you enjoy a more simple phone that's ok.

You will get a 0.5 taller screen, which is awesome and completely revolutionary in 2012. For you iOS fans it's gonna be a game changer. And with the new maps app... wow. I wish I had that on my Android :D:D:D:D

I'm really jealous actually. I miss facetime........ errrr

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
A single Android phone has 1/3 the demand of the iPhone 5? Actually, thats pretty impressive. No wonder Apple is starting to panic.

----------

So much for android fans being the only ones with an inferiority complex :D

Please, the correct term is "Fandroids".

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

Stupid auto-correct and ios keyboards.

My last sentence should have read, "If the iPhone 5 is a flop, they are going to have to spin it somehow."
Not, "The iPhone 5 is a flop. They are going to have to spin it somehow."

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
In the past few weeks there has been so many Android posts on this forum that the mods had to create a new sub forum. I've never seen so many people leaving iOS in this forum. This has made people like you so afraid that you have created 3 different threads bashing Android (11 reasons I left Android, this one and the one about developers).

You are talking about the average consumer. This average consumer has also bought 400 million Android devices last year. Much more than Apple I think.

So yes, many people are leaving iOS and I predict much more will in the next year. Maybe no single phone will sell as much as an iPhone, but the total will always be bigger than iOS.

Just enjoy your iPhone. It doesn't matter if Android sells more or if their phones are more powerful and better. If you enjoy a more simple phone that's ok.

You will get a 0.5 taller screen, which is awesome and completely revolutionary in 2012. For you iOS fans it's gonna be a game changer. And with the new maps app... wow. I wish I had that on my Android :D:D:D:D

I'm really jealous actually. I miss facetime........ errrr

I think YOU need to enjoy your phone.. you spend more time bashing the competitions then actually using your phone.. Thats REALLY the pot calling the kettle back.:eek:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I think YOU need to enjoy your phone.. you spend more time bashing the competitions then actually using your phone.. Thats REALLY the pot calling the kettle back.:eek:

I have to say you're wrong here. Sensamic is probably one of the most level-headed guys on this site. The time I've been here, I've seen him own an iPhone, support the iPhone, downtalk the Galaxy S2 because of it's low resolution, give the GS3 credit, and give legit iPhone criticisms. He's about as balanced as it gets. He's downtalked some Android phones and he's talked well of others. He's supported and owned iPhones, and gave justifiable criticisms about it too. Can't ask for more. That's as fair and balanced as it gets.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have to say you're wrong here. Sensamic is probably one of the most level-headed guys on this site. The time I've been here, I've seen him own an iPhone, support the iPhone, downtalk the Galaxy S2 because of it's low resolution, give the GS3 credit, and give legit iPhone criticisms. He's about as balanced as it gets. He's downtalked some Android phones and he's talked well of others. He's supported and owned iPhones, and gave justifiable criticisms about it too. Can't ask for more. That's as fair and balanced as it gets.

Thats fine, the problem is he (or she) writes in a very condescending tone when expressing his/her opinions. Which is just not nice...and not very productive.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Thats fine, the problem is he (or she) writes in a very condescending tone when expressing his/her opinions. Which is just not nice...and not very productive.

I'd beg to differ. I don't think he comes off as condescending at all. I think he's direct and doesn't sugarcoat things, but that doesn't make him condescending. I think people are just way too sensitive. I had a guy tell me I was condescending just because I told him the cause of his phone problems was him (due to his lack of familiarity with the OS). Apparently, me telling him he was competent enough with the OS he had just changed to, made me condescending. A lot of these overly sensitive people just need hugs.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'd beg to differ. I don't think he comes off as condescending at all. I think he's direct and doesn't sugarcoat things, but that doesn't make him condescending. I think people are just way too sensitive. I had a guy tell me I was condescending just because I told him the cause of his phone problems was him (due to his lack of familiarity with the OS). Apparently, me telling him he was competent enough with the OS he had just changed to, made me condescending. A lot of these overly sensitive people just need hugs.

Look at this statement "You will get a 0.5 taller screen, which is awesome and completely revolutionary in 2012. For you iOS fans it's gonna be a game changer. And with the new maps app... wow. I wish I had that on my Android

I'm really jealous actually. I miss facetime........ errrr"

To me thats just being immature. We just differ on this, thats ok though.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Look at this statement "You will get a 0.5 taller screen, which is awesome and completely revolutionary in 2012. For you iOS fans it's gonna be a game changer. And with the new maps app... wow. I wish I had that on my Android

It's sarcasm. But he's right, there is going to be a section of people that, if that happens, are going to shout on the rooftops about it as if it is a major improvement. I don't have a problem with a person using sarcasm, and despite his sarcasm, I think he has a point too. He was disrespectful in his statement, he didn't belittle anyone, he didn't call anyone anything derogatory, he simply used sarcasm. I don't see a problem with that.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

Within 2 years, iFans will begin telling everyone that Apple invented turn by turn 3d mapping. Apple will have applied for a patent as generics turn by turn navigation on a mobile device; the uspto will give priority to the Apple patent (as they seem to be doing lately), then Apple will sue every Android device, including Garmin and TomTom for copying.

This is Apple's modis operandi

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Is this surprising? The iPhone is the best-selling, most popular phone as far as I can tell. It's had 5 years to build its reputation and stir up a lot of buzz. This will be the most successful iPhone yet, guaranteed.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

It's call sarcasm and humor. You shouldn't take it so seriously. Why so serious? :D:D

Just look at my posts history on this forum over the past years. You will see me praise OS X and bash Windows. In 2010 I changed all my products to Apple: iMac 27, Mac mini as media center, iPad, iPhone and previously an iPod touch. You think I dislike Apple? I would have no problems going back to the iPhone if it improved the way it's supposed to. Maybe they could even sell two models a year for the average user and the power user and we would all be happy. Apple can do better and we should demand they do better.

You think is okay that we had to wait from iOS 4 to 6 to have facetime over 3G? You think it's okay that we have a 12 app per folder limitation? That on iOS I can only upload pictures or videos to my NAS? That the only way to customize the phone is with a wallpaper? That they should embrace capacitive buttons instead of hardware ones for the home button?

Seriously... why can't I upload any file to my NAS??? I mean... iOS 6 just introduced a better way of attaching pictures and videos to emails and safari. Why so long?

I'm I really asking for too much? What I want is for iOS to improve. The limitations are stupid and not normal for a 2012 smartphone.

I waited 2 years, until the very moment of the iOS 6 keynote, hoping iOS would improve more and catch up with Android. So I wanted to stay with iOS. As a fan of gadgets in general, I need more than what iOS offers. 2 years is more credit than what I would have given any other company.

I criticise anything that deserves criticism, and let me tell you something: the iPhone and iOS need a LOT of improvement. That's the way things get better: improve upon criticism. It's supposed to be a smartphone. I'm an iOS and Android fan, so you should take my criticism as as very objective one. Maybe you don't see it, but iOS is falling behind.

I created a thread where I reviewed the SGS3 and told many of its problems, same way I criticise the iPhone problems.

There's a reason I've been with iOS 3 years and waited until 2012 to jump to Android... It's because before Android lost compared to iOS. Now things are the other way around: iOS loses against Android. Simple. So you can see that I was not always an Android fan.

On the other hand, OS X is so so sooooo good.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Within 2 years, iFans will begin telling everyone that Apple invented turn by turn 3d mapping. Apple will have applied for a patent as generics turn by turn navigation on a mobile device; the uspto will give priority to the Apple patent (as they seem to be doing lately), then Apple will sue every Android device, including Garmin and TomTom for copying.

This is Apple's modis operandi

Sadly that could actually happen. As ridiculous as that sounds, it's pretty much what they've been doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.