Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Looks like the iPhoneDevSDK forum is gone. I know they've been hammered with virus problems for a while and Google says they had a bunch of malware and other problems.
Anyone been able to get on there?

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Looks like the iPhoneDevSDK forum is gone. I know they've been hammered with virus problems for a while and Google says they had a bunch of malware and other problems.

http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/

Site Suspended
This site has been suspended. Please contact the site administrator for more information.

No idea what happened. Maybe their site got hacked or something. The forum seems to be
missing from the server.

yijo99

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
A couple of weeks ago I was still able to access the site even after getting a warning from Google. Today, it simply says "the site is suspended". :(

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
I have been on there for a long time, but then I found Macrumors, which was a much better userbase, friendlier, and less spamming!

I like both, but I think that one has more selection of topics, business/legal/marketing... I mainly went there for that. MacRumors doesn't have a lot of business/marketing discussion.

I don't think it's a DNS thing, it looks like it just wasn't managed well. Sites get attacked all the time... some people have too much time on their hands...

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Wow, just wow. What about all that collective knowledge that the site had gathered up over the years? All gone in a poof?:confused:

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Wow, just wow. What about all that collective knowledge that the site had gathered up over the years? All gone in a poof?:confused:

I really don't know where it's stored, but it must be hosted somewhere. They had problems before and they've come back, so we'll just have to check back and see if they get their act together.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Business marketing forum was my fav read of the day. I learned almost everything I know about the app store on there.

I really really hope its not lost that site was great and while macrumors is pretty good they dont really have a business marketing subforum.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Business marketing forum was my fav read of the day. I learned almost everything I know about the app store on there.

I really really hope its not lost that site was great and while macrumors is pretty good they dont really have a business marketing subforum.

Yea, I think I remember you from there. We might have lost a good learning tool.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Maybe someone didn't pay the bills and let it run out. How did that site make money anyway?
Ads, donations, or self-funded?

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
I think they make money on the ads that the site runs and probably donations. However, I don't think the site costs that much and they've been hit with these virus problems / attacks before so I think that's where the problem lies.

I know of some other forum sites that were hit as well, so it looks like they're not alone, but their response time is concerning. Last time it took about a week for them to get back online.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
The admins there haven't been very proactive about keeping the site healthy over the past year or so. Wish they'd pass it on to someone who will give it the attention it needs.
It's a great resource - as mentioned the business & promotion techniques forums there are a great read and it's got a wealth of useful threads to search through. Fair enough if it's been attacked, but they could at least mention something on the twitter page, @iphonedevsdk

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
The admins there haven't been very proactive about keeping the site healthy over the past year or so. Wish they'd pass it on to someone who will give it the attention it needs.
It's a great resource - as mentioned the business & promotion techniques forums there are a great read and it's got a wealth of useful threads to search through. Fair enough if it's been attacked, but they could at least mention something on the twitter page, @iphonedevsdk

Same here, I wish they'd just pass it off to someone else and let them deal with it.

That actually brings up a great idea for a new thread:
Someone should start a new thread about iOS dev resources.

One problem with iOS is that it changes so fast that some information/tutorials aren't of value any more. I've seen so many answers that are from 2008/2009 that it makes it a hassle to get what you want.

I'd really like to see more business/legal/promotions info and less "... I just started..." threads.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
The iPhone SDK forum was very good. I git much more help from there as from the official Apple Dev forum. :(

Which alternative iOS dev forum will you now use?

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia

It's weird how that site just died with no warning. I was one of the top contributors to the development forums, and BAM, it shows up as suspended with no warning.

The owners/admins of the site have been conspicuous in their absence for quite a while. The moderators seem to have been running the show.

Strange and frustrating. I invested a lot of time in that site.

Kuda-

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah, I really miss that place. I came here hoping to find a better business & legal aswell as marketing & promotion forum.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
It's weird how that site just died with no warning. I was one of the top contributors to the development forums, and BAM, it shows up as suspended with no warning.

The owners/admins of the site have been conspicuous in their absence for quite a while. The moderators seem to have been running the show.

I remember you, you did some great posts!

----------

This forum? :s
I've gotten better help here.
It's actually different. The help here is more programming, there it's more business of app dev.

With many of the devs being independants, there's a need for help in other areas.

There were many posts about advertising, sales, taxes, promotions and several posted their results.

Let's face it, the AppStore is flooded with apps (crapps?), we need all the help we can get to become noticed.

They just had a huge thread about Apple's search engine change and the effects it had on their apps. Pretty important info for someone dependant on their sales.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Maybe we can get you, and some of the other top contributors of good information, to repost their most informative stuff here? (That would be great!)

Hopefully you kept some copies...

bignoggins

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
I didn't frequent the tech stuff much but the business forum was invaluable. If Macrumors had a separate business of iOS forums I would post but as is it's a waste of time to sort through all the UITableView problem threads to find the ones I'm interested in.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I didn't frequent the tech stuff much but the business forum was invaluable. If Macrumors had a separate business of iOS forums I would post but as is it's a waste of time to sort through all the UITableView problem threads to find the ones I'm interested in.

I'm open to it. iPhoneDevSDK was a good resource. Guess no one knows what happened to it?

arn

LEARN2MAKE

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Crazy that iPhoneDevSDK is gone. I hope it comes back. I learned a TON there too. Plus there was a thread on the recent non-payment by mobclix and that was the place I could get updated on the developments since mobclix owes a lot of devs money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.