Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Screens described as LED are LED.

Well Displaymate have chosen the Note 5 and Galaxy S6 as the best displays.

Well, since they chose them as best ... Why have personal taste when we can all blindly follow what Displaymate tells us?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Again, why oh why would Apple be holding off on OLED, clearly developing the technology for their own certain uses?

Oh right, they don't want to just buy an off the shelf display that can't be adapted to the future:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...rint-reader-under-the-display-of-an-ipad.html

6a0120a5580826970c01bb0892beba970d-pi

Guys, Apple wants OLEDs that the blue pixel doesn't wear out in a year, AND had the ability to add additional components....like a fingerprint scanner.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I went to a Best Buy this weekend and their Galaxy S6s had noticeable screen burn-in despite running that video demo nearly all the time when no one's playing with the phone. Kinda turned me off on the whole AMOLED thing to be honest. :(

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Focus on the software. The OS is getting stale. Changing the font doesn't count.

You should try watching a WWDC keynote. The software changes underneath constantly. Spoken like someone who doesn't understand what an operation system does. There's a billion things that happen behind the scenes that you're not aware of.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I went to a Best Buy this weekend and their Galaxy S6s had noticeable screen burn-in despite running that video demo nearly all the time when no one's playing with the phone. Kinda turned me off on the whole AMOLED thing to be honest. :(
To be honest that's not really a good indicator of anything. The amount of times that demos get stuck in retail stores would shock you. I worked at Best Buy for three years and you see that happen to everything.

Reactions: rjohnstone

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
You should try watching a WWDC keynote. The software changes underneath constantly. Spoken like someone who doesn't understand what an operation system does. There's a billion things that happen behind the scenes that you're not aware of.

Yes, I've seen all the keynotes...those probably dating back to before you were born.
An OS can do as many things as it like, but in the end, it needs to be reliable and stable with a satisfying user experience.
But you miss my point and the context of the thread...that having an OLED display is secondary in importance to the software.

Skryll

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
More vibrant colors, less eye-strain in the dark, and slightly more energy efficient due to the individual pixels shutting off when they're supposed to be the color black.

AMOLED is the way to go. LCD is just not as good.

Which is simply not true, everybody says it but when I actually compare any iPhone to any Samsung OLED display phone side by side, the colors of the iPhone are more close to what it should look like, show more shades and are not as oversaturated looking. The viewing angle of the LCD is superior compared to the OLED displays I have looked at, you don't have to rotate the phone away from you as much to show somebody a good quality look at a picture.

I can only hope that apple is not just cutting cost and following the OLED hype at the expense of those qualities that I care about, but instead has innovated to fix OLED to be of the same quality.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Which is simply not true, everybody says it but when I actually compare any iPhone to any Samsung OLED display phone side by side, the colors of the iPhone are more close to what it should look like, show more shades and are not as oversaturated looking. The viewing angle of the LCD is superior compared to the OLED displays I have looked at, you don't have to rotate the phone away from you as much to show somebody a good quality look at a picture.

I can only hope that apple is not just cutting cost and following the OLED hype at the expense of those qualities that I care about, but instead has innovated to fix OLED to be of the same quality.

Out of curiosity, has anyone reported burn-in with the Apple Watch yet?

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

Out of curiosity, has anyone reported burn-in with the Apple Watch yet?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

The iPhone display is absolutely Fantastic. There's no knock to it.

But the current AMOLEDS samsung are using are one of the best, most accurate display panels available on today's market.
http://anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/4

what you probably saw was a software feature that Samsung has which dynamically changes the saturation depending on the content that is currently being displayed. This is an optional feature that can be disabled to give the display an almost near perfect adobe RGB colour gamut

Reactions: rjohnstone

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
That may be true for the original owner, but I hand my devices down to family. I have the phones for 2 years, then trade up, and hand down. I've seen some over 5 years. Would this effectively kill that?

On the tablet side, I'm still amazingly happy with my iPad 3. It runs iOS 9 great, almost as great as my 6S+. It's a bit slower, doesn't have Touch ID or Siri Proactive, but it's a great device. I'm approaching 5 years on it. I'd go to a Pro, but I may wait until it has 3D Touch. I was disappointed it didn't come out with that.

I am considering a Apple Watch, but I'm also waiting for Gen 2, since I'm expecting more sensors and more independence from the phone. Also, I still think the battery life is too short for a watch.

So to say the life is 2-5 years, I'd say it's only true for the first owner. I buy Apple products because they're typically well made. Everyone has complaints, but overall the quality just seems higher. It does seem that some people get the latest every year, of everything: phone, tablet, watch(?). I just can't support that level of consumption. I could afford it, but I won't. I do believe the new carrier and Apple plans are starting to cater to that crowd.

I want the display, battery, and hardware to last beyond 5 years. It's one of the reasons I buy Apple. With carrier delivered devices, you're lucky to get beyond 1 OS level from where it was when you bought you device. Apple may not support all the latest features across all the devices, but I think they make a good balance in terms of performance.

So, if OLED will last, the display quality will be as good after 3-5 or more years of usage, they fix the color shifting to acceptable, then why not? That may still take another 2-3 years to realize that goal.
Sorry, did not check back for replies in a while...so just one aspect that I ma yhave not made clear enough...the calculation of a lifecycle of at least 2-5 years was based on 2008 OLED consumer tech data...
The only device I currently have acces to to give me any idea of current oled quality and lifespan would be my girlfriends Samsung S3 (2012) which looks pretty much new despite heavy usage (the display, not the rest, that is scrathced like hell due to her not liking cases... :)
So in short, I think considering the developement between 2008 and today, OLEDs lifespan is hardly a worthwhile argument when it comes to mobile devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.