Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
pliundemix, Sorry to hear about your problem. That solution has worked for me in the past, without a hitch.

I would suggest re-boot via a hard reset and check again. If that doesn't work, re-sync... then check again.

Keep in mind, the expanding 'other' is your iTunes database that is corrupted, so you need to re-sync after the delete. Try again, and please keep me posted.

Best of luck.

Betyar, I actually did what you suggested in this old thread and the same thing that happened to pliumdemix happened to me.

It seems like all the 'other' data that was showing up on itunes is now gone, but now I can't play any music or videos. the songs and videos still show on my ipad and still take up space on the itunes capacity bar but when I access the files, it says movie cannot be played and in the ipod section, the screen will just go black.

I noticed that I had an error downloading a rented movie through itunes because of a spotty hotel wifi. Ever since then is when I saw my other capacity in itunes balloon to what it did. Just a point of observation.

At this point, it looks like I deleted a folder I wasn't supposed to?

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
IIRC, the "Other" also includes the operating system for the iPhone. Not exactly something you want to nuke...

I thought this originally as well until I was corrected by an apple genius, the OS has already been accounted for and reduces your overall memory bt 2GB...example my 16 GB iPhone 4 says capacity 14 GB even when nothing is synced to it

Wingwalker84

macrumors newbie
I think I found the "Other"

I see some short posts on how to remove it, but it seems most people are resorting to doing a Hard Restore in order to solve the mystery of the large "Other" space. If you are jail broken though, go through WinSCP on Windows, or any SSH program that allows you to edit, and look for the /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control path. Check the Music folder here and I bet it is outrageously larger than your actually amount of synced music. Just remove the music from you iDevice via iTunes, then the remainder of folders in the path, just check all the files that have F##, one or more is housing the waster Other space. Once you find it, delete the .MP3 or .M4A files only to restore the space. Deleting anything else will cause iTunes not to be able to verify your library and not sync anything, and you will have to restore from a backup and start over the process. Betyar said in an earlier post that you could re-sync to fix this but I was unable to get that to work with iTunes 10.1.0.56. I would recommend copying every file you delete to your computer so you can restore it if it messes up. This should solve you problem with the mystery space. As far as I can tell, it seems to happen mostly when doing an iTunes sync that is interrupted or canceled unexpectedly or using a 3rd party transfer tool like CopyTrans on multiple computers where the iLib file on one machine is more recent than on the second machine. Hopefully this will help some of you out. If I find other folders that can hide mystery files I will post those also. Good luck!!;)

Last edited:

ReggieSmith

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I had the same issue after updating to 4.3 from a jailbroken 4.2.1 & I was showing 3GB of "other." Rebooted the iPhone and now it is only 0.67GB which is much more acceptable.

NikkiBranca

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
Removing "other" in iTunes from Laptop ????

PLEASE HELP!!

I am severely technologically challenged!;)

Could someone please explain to me in plain, basic english (like you would to a child) how to delete this "other" in iTunes on my laptop, as it is taking up about a third of my space!!

Thank you

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
PLEASE HELP!!

I am severely technologically challenged!;)

Could someone please explain to me in plain, basic english (like you would to a child) how to delete this "other" in iTunes on my laptop, as it is taking up about a third of my space!!

Thank you

Delete synched pictures and the like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.