iPhones outside US

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by skiwie, Sep 28, 2007.

1. skiwie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

skiwie

Hello there !

Any reviews / comments / tips and tricks from costumers outside the US ?

1. How did you buy the iPhone?
    2. How did you /someone esle unlock it?
    3. How are you updating your iPhone?

Thanks for your comments !

Skiwie

2. MrT8064
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Hi, I have not got my iPhone yet, but i bourght it from US ebay, for 375$ (8GB) and i have been charged $37 for postage. If i have to pay TAX, then my total cost will be arround £245.

I intend on unlocking the iPhone my self, via the iNdependance method (if you dont know this method, a good instruction manual can be found by doing a quick google search) (this method is free)

I will definatly NOT be updating the firmware just yet, as it looks like it will render the iPhone totally useless.

hope this helps

3. benfilan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

benfilan

i bought mine on ebay, had it about a week now. really loving it so far!
    i unlocked it using inDependence and anysim. was pretty simple, with a bit of internet searching and help from the Macrumors forums (for which i am eternally grateful :) ).

i'd say do it. if you're gonna wait for the UK release, you're still (probably) gonna have to unlock it, because the O2 tariffs are rubbish.

4. Patchfoo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

You bought it for $375 off ebay? Every iPhone I see on ebay is $500+ not including shipping! Was it cheaper because it was not unlocked yet or something? I never even thought to look for non unlocked ones. Any info would be appreciated. I live in Canada so I can't just go to a store so the main reason I don't buy from ebay is that they are an extra $100+.

5. Compile 'em all
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

A friend of mine was on a business trip and got it for me. 600$ from the Apple store (about 1 month ago). I am running 1.0.2 and unlocked it myself using iUnlock (before anySIM GUI was out). I won't update till the dev team gives the green light on their wiki and provide the necessary tools to do so.

6. MrT8064
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Hi, yeh the one i got was not unlocked, it basically just takes a few days of looking at every single iPhone getting sold, and eventually you'll find a cheap one! if you set your self a maximum of say $410, just do lots of auction sniping (going in at the last 10 seconds) and you should end up with a great deal!

saying that, i think my iPhone was send using very slow postage, it STILL hasnt arrived!

hope this helps

7. skiwie
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

skiwie

Ebay - iPhone

I got mine € 410 + 10 € shipping, unlocked before 1.1.1 update
    Works perfect now on Belgian network Mobistar. As I travel a lot I'll be inserting other SIMs from other countries (only reason why I unlocked it)