iPhone's reaction to magnets

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bettermann09, Jul 22, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I found an old leather holster that came with my old T-Mobile Dash (WM :p) and the latch on it is magnetic. Is the iPhone affected by magnets? I know that some screens are and some are not.

2. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No.

It's mainly CRT's that are effected by them.

3. macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I heard magnet cases are bad.

4. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, it doesn't hurt it. :p

At least i think. I'm not a magtologist.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I was just doing some more research on it and someone said it messes up the sim card. I'm not a magnetologist either... ;)

6. macrumors 6502a

What makes you think the magnet from the latch on your case would cause any harm to the iPhone. It's weak... not like it's some super powered magnet or something.

SIM card, I doubt it. Who says that? Just some random guy, or somebody that knows what they're talking about?

7. macrumors 68000

the magnets used are not strong enough to do any damage

magnets only really cause problems with CRTs, as said, and hard drives (but not flash as found on iphone) if they are strong enough

8. macrumors regular

Tell you what does happen though. Every time I put a parking ticked with a magnetic strip into the same pocket as my iPhone, the parking ticket becomes unreadable.

9. macrumors 6502a

adamerr

magnets cause problems with microwaves...
    like short-circuiting them.

dont ask.
    it just happened. :p

10. macrumors 6502

Same here with my train ticket. Went to London yesterday and the flippin ticket wouldn't work on any of the London Underground gates. Really annoying!

11. macrumors 6502

i have used two different magnet flip cases with my iPhone and also a magnet case with my iPod Touch and have had no related problems.

12. macrumors member

For what it's worth, I had bought a magnet case for my 1st GEN iPhone, and whenever I placed the phone in it, the battery life substantially reduced. I found myself with a dead battery about half-way through my work shift, when I had charged it at home prior to leaving. :eek:

I stopped using the case, and the battery life is normal now.

13. macrumors member

hmmm.... I wonder if it causes problems with the magstripe on credit cards! I have been walking around for two days with the iPhone and wallet in the same pocket.

14. macrumors newbie

I keep my iphone 3GS in my left front pocket and my wallet with credit cards in my left rear pocket. Today I discovered that both my ATM and Visa cards could not be read. This is like a separation of about 7" through my thigh. Could the RF be that strong?

15. macrumors 6502

TIP of the day

Don't use a large magnet like from a fridge the ones on the holsters arn't that strong. My wife had hers in a holster though not on her hip when it was stolen :mad:

16. macrumors 6502

only if..

your leg is made of paper, other wise it has to be some outside factor maybe one of those pads that say don't place cards here

17. macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I carried my 3G in a Motorola Q case for a year, which has a magnet.

Zero issues.

Now, the 3GS, with a compass, the jury is out.

I have read that Apple suggests NOT to use cases with magnets, but who knows really.

18. macrumors 68000

steve knight

actually most of the cases I have used have rare earth magnets in them. far more powerful then a fridge magnet. they are very strong for their size. any other magnet would be too weak to hold much.

19. macrumors 6502

I'm using a blackberry storm case with my 3GS and doesn't look like there's any issues so far...after reading this post I'm not too sure if I want to use it any more...

20. macrumors 65816

Randman

Apple recommends against cases and holsters with magnetic latches for the iPhone 3GS as the magnetic field (even a weak one) can throw off the calibration of the magnetometer. This can result in GPS inaccuracies.

21. macrumors 6502a

My 2 cents

Sit 2 3GS's directly next to each other in compass mode, they throw each other off rather dramatically by 24 degrees. I wouldn't put it near other magnets because they may negatively affect the
    compass feature.

22. macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Generally, magnets and electronics don't match. No matter how weak the magnets are, I wouldn't have them together just to be safe.

23. macrumors newbie

I'm having an issue now with the magnetic compass in my SUV and my 3GS, when I get in my truck which has a magnetic compass, the 3GS compass always requires calibration and prompts me to do the "figure 8" which doesn't take, the phone compass just won't calibrate. As soon as I get out, the 3GS compass is working normally. So I would say magnets are probably bad............

24. macrumors 6502

Magnetic interference does create the figure 8 calibration screen to pop up, but since I am not using it while it is holstered, I don't really mind...

But on the other hand, will it cause damage to the compass/phone in the long run?

25. macrumors 6502a

I was always afraid to use a magnetic holster for my iPhone 2G, then 3G, so I used a velcro one. Then when I got the 3GS I got an Incase Slider, therefor the iPhone wouldn't fit inside the holster I previously had for my 2G/3G. I went to Best Buy in search of a new holster that would fit the iPhone with the case on it. After a few minutes of searching, I finally found one, but it was magnetic! :eek:

Then I said F it, and bought it. I've been using it for two weeks now, and have had zero negative effects. I will never go back to a velcro holster again. Magnetic ones are so much nicer. :cool: