Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
With both Apple and Sammy in the game, the quality of AMOLED displays will definitely going to go up.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Right, because this generation of AMOLED will be of the same quality as AMOLED in the past
Do you think they will be different? Will Samsung produce something better for Apple than they themselves provide on their own phones?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Do you think they will be different? Will Samsung produce something better for Apple than they themselves provide on their own phones?
If this is for 2017, then yes it will be better than AMOLEDs out now. Rumor is the Note 6 will use RGB pixel layout instead of pentile, this would definately improve it. And it'll probably be brighter too. It's probably going to be the same panel they use in the S8.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If this is for 2017, then yes it will be better than AMOLEDs out now. Rumor is the Note 6 will use RGB pixel layout instead of pentile, this would definately improve it. And it'll probably be brighter too. It's probably going to be the same panel they use in the S8.
oh I agree that technology gets better as time goes by and evolves.
But my original statement was around how many times we have heard apple fans complain about AMOLED displays on Samsung phones. But now that the iphone will get them. I am sure we will not hear that complaint as much.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
oh I agree that technology gets better as time goes by and evolves.
But my original statement was around how many times we have heard apple fans complain about AMOLED displays on Samsung phones. But now that the iphone will get them. I am sure we will not hear that complaint as much.

Yeah, but a lot of that is because for a while the screen quality on AMOLEDs wasn't that great, you had grainy pentile and very over saturated colors. The resolution is now high enough that pentile really doesn't effect it anymore but if you just go by the store display that are really punchy I can see why someone might still have that perception. I have never seen a store display set to basic or photo mode, which is much more realistic.

So someone with a preconceived notion of AMOLEDs will probably keep harping the old faults until they see with their own eyes the improvements, which they won't unless they actually pick up and use one of the new handsets and set to basic or photo mode. Or until the iPhone gets it.

These are really the only ones I see complaining about AMOLED, most agree that now AMOLEDs have the best quality, they're just indifferent whether it would be a huge improvement over ips. I do think AMOLEDs would look great on the iPhone, love the way blacks just blend in with the bezel on my Apple Watch.

The only worry I have is burn in but I haven't owned one long enough to know if that's a real concern or not, but whenever I see a display model that's only a couple months old with burn in it makes me wonder.

It would be funny if Apple trolled them by setting the opening sequence of the new AMOLED iPhone with a super punchy, eyes bleeding intro, like bring back the multi colored logo and up the saturation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.