Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Just to follow up what was asked earlier. Typically, I dont use with my brightness all the way up. I usually have it set to about 1/3 to no higher than 1/2. I just turned it up to make this more noticable. If I have the brightness down to where I typically keep it you can barely even see JayZ in that picture from straight on.

To me, it really isnt that big of an issue. I just have to tilt the phone a few degrees to make out those dark scenes clearly. But...not only do I have the negative issue, I also have a dead pixel which is clearly visable in the first picture I posted (reposted pic with that marked). That I was just going to live with as well, but maybe since I have 2 separate issues I shouldnt.

Are there iphones out there with absolutely NO negative black screen? I just assumed this was a product of the LCD and the viewing angle. And no, its not noticeable anywhere expect when I watching movies.

Dude, yours is bad, at any brightness. I tried mine when taking a pic and it was fine at all levels.

What production week is yours?

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
No point in going to the apple store.

I understand your point... but Apple needs to own up to this issue. The only way will be if the customers are dissatisfied. If you all keep your phones, no point in fixing the issue.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
How can you find out what production week it is?

And this is a question probably no one can answer but I'll ask anyway. I bought my phone online from apple. I do have an apple store about 45min away. Would they exchange me at the store or would I have to send it in?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
How can you find out what production week it is?

And this is a question probably no one can answer but I'll ask anyway. I bought my phone online from apple. I do have an apple store about 45min away. Would they exchange me at the store or would I have to send it in?

In the serial number of mine is 7R729######

where 29 is the production week, assuming the same as the Touches...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
In the serial number of mine is 7R729######

where 29 is the production week, assuming the same as the Touches...

My iPhone with the bad screen is 7R733######

LCD Panel ID 7455232

I went into the Apple store tonight, but nobody with enough authority (an Apple "genius") was available since it was late - so I made an appointment to go back in tomorrow night.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

I have a string of about 7 numbers followed by 4 letters, then ending in 0 for my serial (ie - 1234567abcd0)

Yours is week 32.

Note that bad iPod Touches are in weeks 36 (first week of production) and 37...

Looks like they started using the cheap iPhone screens in 32, unless someone can come up with a bad one from an earlier week.

p8ntballguy

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2006
Yours is week 32.

Note that bad iPod Touches are in weeks 36 (first week of production) and 37...

Looks like they started using the cheap iPhone screens in 32, unless someone can come up with a bad one from an earlier week.

AW hell, I have week 32. I bought a refurb, and if I go in and complain think they give me an exchange, or send me a refurb. that would be bogus.

nathanstl

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
I have a bad one

Bad screen here. Love the iphone so it might even be tolerable, but everytime I watch youtube anything that is dark looks terrible.

Screen ID: 7455232
Serial# 4-5 character: ***30******

DSC05592.JPG

nickanon

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I am also experiencing the negative black problem on a new iPhone bought this Tuesday (9/18). Serial Number is ***34****** with LCD panel 7455232.

The screen behaves exactly as other have described and also becomes more clear when tipped back and to the left but requires an extreme angle to view any dark scenes or pics.

I will be taking the unit back but I was waiting to hear whether or not there are newer units without the problem; I don't want to return it to just get another bum screen.

Does anyone know if there are later than week 34 models with the good panel?

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
I have week 35 and that has the same problem. This is my 3rd iPhone by the way. The first one had a bum battery and would heat up a lot. The second one had dead pixels and the third one (current) has the screen problem.

I have read on apple forums that those receiving touch units made in week 38 are free from the problem which leads me to believe that anything prior to week 38 and after announcement of the touch have the bum screens. I'm going to the Apple store to get mine replaced since i'm still within the 14 day period (i also have a light leaking from the bezel borders). I'm going to ask them to give me a week 38 or just tell them to hold on to my money until they get those in stock. In no way am i going to settle for a device with a bad screen essentially used for MEDIA!

Those of you who can get it replaced, go ahead and do it. No sense settling for less.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
i have a week 24, and my screen looks off too... i noticed this when watching "Dirt off ya Shoulder"

That may just be the encoding. The first batch of phones (when they ran both the 4Gigs and 8Gigs for launch) seems to be fine.

It's when they started making the next batch for the price drop is when problems start.

Please use the pic at the begining of this thread to make sure. Thanks!

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Mine is a 5755136 within the 30 week of production... and I don't have the issue. phew!

I bought mine from an AT&T store last Thursday (9/13/07)...

Hopefully Apple will deal with the situation properly! :rolleyes:

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
I would hate to say it but it seems as though the 5 series screens are not suffering this issue as much as the 7 series. Although there are many more 7 series out there than 5's.

We should be keeping track of this as well. Any way to add a poll to this thread?

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
Bad screen here. Love the iphone so it might even be tolerable

This issue should not be tollerable. I know many people don't wan't to go through the trouble and also, some have had a difficult time at a store, but none the less if your not happy (100%) then get another one.

If they all have the same issue in the stores as well then so be it, that still doesn't negate the fact that there is a problem.

I honestly think Apple has cheeped out somewhere in last little bit. Maybe the price reduction was because the iTouch added more parts being purchased and therefor the prices went down orrrrrrrr... they found cheaper quality parts.

Either way Apple owes it to everyone to fix this issue.

Really... the blacks on home LCD's has been a selling feature for the longest time. The better the blacks the better the TV. If the Home LCD's were the same as these there would be big backlash.

mani

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
(How) can I check my iPhone's screen for that issue before activating it?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Really... the blacks on home LCD's has been a selling feature for the longest time. The better the blacks the better the TV. If the Home LCD's were the same as these there would be big backlash.

I agree with you about your comments on not being 100% happy...

But nearly all home LCD panels do not display 'true blacks'. In fact, the vast majority of LCD blacks are nothing sort of terrible. There's no backlash because most consumers don't know what they're looking for and so are perfectly happy with there shiny new TV.

jasonsmith

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
I agree with you about your comments on not being 100% happy...

But nearly all home LCD panels do not display 'true blacks'. In fact, the vast majority of LCD blacks are nothing sort of terrible. There's no backlash because most consumers don't know what they're looking for and so are perfectly happy with there shiny new TV.

Yep , I guess... My point was more along the line if the LCD's were "negative" they would be useless to watch.

in regards to the iPhone, it does so many other things that for some reason people feel its ok to deal with one bad issue.

This issue need to be sent via "feedback" to Apple as well as discussed on there forums as well. Otherwise they will continue to cheep out. They have already come to the realization that people will pay $599 for phone... are we to add $599 for a semi defective phone as well...

sorry for the rant, back on topic we go.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
This issue need to be sent via "feedback" to Apple as well as discussed on there forums as well. Otherwise they will continue to cheep out. They have already come to the realization that people will pay $599 for phone... are we to add $599 for a semi defective phone as well...

sorry for the rant, back on topic we go.

I fully agree with you. When I buy an iPhone next year (nearly £900 with an eighteen month contract :eek: ), if it's not 'perfect' it's going straight back for an exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.