1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iPhoneSimFree 1.1.1 iPhone Unlock

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhoneSimFree claims to have a working version of their software SIM unlocking application for iPhone 1.1.1. They credit the iPhone Dev Team for finding a method for "jailbreaking" the 1.1.1 filesystem. The side effect is that they are now able to load their SIMFREE software onto the iPhone.
    They also offer instructions on how to debrick unlocked iPhones that were prematurely upgraded to firmware 1.1.1.

iPhoneSimFree's solutions are commercial and require purchase through one of their resellers.

Article Link

2. macrumors Core

Dagless

The mouse has caught up with the cat.

1.1.2 soon?

3. macrumors member

I don't really believe this company....

I bought it when their first released... and wait ... .wait ... . wait... . couple week later, after anySIM release, I got the software from them, I tried it... it doesn't work;

and I tried anySIM... it works! unlock my iPhone... LoL....

4. macrumors 6502a

I guess this is the real reason that Apple broke 3d party apps when they updated. They aren't out to squish all third party apps, just the ones that unlock the SIM. Unfortunately, that squashes everyone.

I guess that Apple is considering this problem very seriously as they develop an SDK, and it's why they haven't released one yet. They need to be able to avoid SIM unlocking applications being developed if they release an SDK, and I guess they're still figuring out how to do that.

5. macrumors 6502

kironin

The real problem is not technical. It was the original business decision to have a locked phone for full price rather than what the rest of the industry does in offering a discount for a locked phone and full price for an unlocked phone.

If they had released the phone worldwide at an unlocked price of $600 and then started with $399 locked with particular companies with all these extra features that you get only with the locked phone like the voicemail that require service from the cellphone company, announced that an SDK would be released, etc. , then the pressure to hack the phone would be non-existent.

I think you can thank the corporate attitudes of American cell phone companies for screwing this up for Apple. I hope they had better judgement than this and were forced in to this no-win situtation by ATT. Because its making them look like real asses.

6. PDE
    macrumors 68020

Can anybody explain why the iphonesimfree solution would be better than the free solution to unlocking? I still don't quite understand what they are doing compared to what the iphone dev. team has done and why the unlock by the latter bricks the iphone when it's updated, while the former doesn't.

Anybody?

7. macrumors 6502

alecgold

Its not better, its a kind of a scam. They say they broke 1.1.1 but they let you downgrade and then they break the simlock. But you dont have the update anymore except in the baseband!
    So I bought the unlocking for my 1.0.2 but I still can't have the update to 1.1.1
    They only manage to unbrick phones. Which is superb for brick owners, but isn't very much use for the rest of us!
    just my 0,01

8. PDE
    macrumors 68020

So you are not able to upgrade to 1.1.1 after all?? That's definitely not how they present it on their site...

9. macrumors 6502

alecgold

kinda upgrade proof

It's kinda upgrade proof, if you upgrade to 1.1.1 it won't work because it can't be activated. But if you downgrade it is already unlocked again.

However, if you can't activate it isn't much use to unlock it as you can't use it when you can't activate. They seem to have passed the activation on a dodgy way, but they couldn't make calls either IIRC.
    I thougt also it could be done, so I bought a unlocking licence and now I'm again back at 1.0.2
    It works again like it did (I'm syncing now again to get all my info in and use it to work tomorrow) but I'm 75 bucks lighter and the phone is still doing the same beautifull thing :p

10. macrumors regular

...and then all these phones will get bricked when Apple updates to 1.2.1 to add a new application...

11. macrumors member

While there still exist such thing as bit and man's brain, no one can stop people from braking technology. You want it or not, it will always be open source for people who understand this.

12. macrumors 6502

alecgold

I think this phone has to many advantages when it is opened. Your regular phone hasn't got internet, it barely can browse, or email in a 85% version. So because there is a lot to win, and because there is a large market (either for getting fame/respect or for money) it is atractive to hack into it.

As to the bricking of the phones, mine has been bricked for 5 minutes. You dont have to update.... Just wait two weeks and the first cracks in the securityfacade begin to apear. And eventually it will be jailbroken and unlocked again.

13. macrumors 6502a

I'm with you on that one. I was about to take the plunge finally, but Im waitin for the dust to settle on this I guess. Very confusing.

Is there any update on iPhone 2, or Rev B? I'd hate to have waited this long, take the plunge then the update is announced

14. macrumors newbie

haha

if you unlock the phone and you will occur issues with the software, and cause a problem with the iphone if you have any problems with the phone you void your warranty so unlock if you want you really will be sol haha:D

15. macrumors regular

Umm....

I actually read the instructions, and the readme itself. It quite clearly allows people to both upgrade their phone to 1.1.1 and sim (and app) unlock it as well.

Oh, it does not change the baseband version (which is how some of the previously phones got bricked), and if you are ever stuck, it quite clearly indicates you can restore back to an untouched version.

Not sure if people are just mis-reading this or glossing over the facts or what?

16. macrumors newbie

missing something?

My iphone's not arrived yet, but I think you are missing something here. I read both the dev team's latest developements (their jailbreaking) and the IPSF instructions. The dev team provides a way to jailbreak (get r/w access) the phone AND to activate it. The IPSF cares for the unlocking - saying it remains unlocked also after upgrading to 1.1.1. So, if 1+1 still makes 2, why can't you just use the parts of the two solutions you need to get your 1.1.1 to work? (I mean those of you who do not want to wait for a free unlocking solution). That should work.

17. macrumors newbie

I am about yo buy an iphone with the 1.1.1 firmware update. If I use iPhone Sim free to unlock it, will it work with any other sim? Or do I need to first downgrade to 1.0.2?

18. macrumors G4

daneoni

Isn't this meant to allow you activate. I mean if you do the 1.1.1 Jailbreak and install IPSF software surely you should be able to unlock without needing to reactivate?

19. PDE
    macrumors 68020

This is confusing.

I have a 1.02 phone that was unlocked with iunlock. If I use IPSF's method, do I have to first brick the phone by updating the firmware and then downgrade again to 1.02, apply IPSF software, update to 1.1 and then jailbreak/activate with iphone dev team's method?

Has anybody managed to update and unlock their unlocked (free unlock) 1.02 iphone to 1.1.1 with IPSF?

Thank for any information - it really is a little confusing.

20. macrumors regular

Yes, many people have unlocked their phones with this method and then had the following three characteristics:
    - they now had 1.1.1
    - they could now use any sim / GSM carrier
    - they could freely install apps

The method does involve going back to 1.0.2, but if you want to think of it this way, it's like dropping back ten to punt 30 yards forward - one step back for two steps forward - whatever analogy you'd like to insert here.

Please read the other thread entitled: Another iPhone 1.1.1 Jailbreak Method

Also, it's important to understand that there are/were two main methods of unlocking phones - ones that modified the software, and ones that modified the baseband - Apple could check and brick the baseband ones since the software was less obtrusively done. What that means is that, even if a future update comes out, the likely worst case is that you can upgrade and have a locked up phone (that will likely be correctable with another future hack) instead of having a brick.

James...

21. macrumors 68000

JonHimself

And that is the case with iPhone Sim Free? It is a software fix, right? I have yet to really get a clear answer on this despite spending hours reading over so many threads.
    With IPSF you can unlock the 1.0.2 firmware. It also allows you to take a 1.1.1 phone and de-grade the 1.1.1 firmware to 1.02 while keeping the 1.1.1 baseband code (with a little tweaking to be unlocked)? BUT IPSF does NOT allow you to then upgrade back to 1.1.1 AND still have the phone unlocked?
    Then when they perform another update I should be able to update it no problem (though the phone will most likely be re-locked)?
    I think I have it right, just wanted to double check.

22. PDE
    macrumors 68020

Thanks for that. But what if the phone has been unlocked already with one of the free methods like iunlock? Doesn't one have to reastore the baseband first, before using IPSF software? Aaah....

23. macrumors 65816

I am confused myself about what exactly IPSF does when you use it!

I have a 1.0.2 phone NEVER upgraded to 1.1.1, still with firmware 03.14.08_G and I would like to upgrade to 1.1.1 BUT I have already use iUnlock and jailbreak'd the phone so I don't know how to go about using IPSF.

First of all - if I run it now in 1.0.2 my phone is already unlocked - so will IPSF relock and unlock again or will it not work while it is already unlocked?

And do I put the original AT&T SIM in or keep the one I am using now in the phone?

Or do I have to BRICK it before I can restore it and unlock it again?

And to add to the confusion - and please correct me if I am wrong- the current jailbreak and activation for the iphone is extremely complicated AND needs an Intel MAC - which considering I am using a windows PC is a bit problem.

Just so you all know I e-mail a few of the IPSF resellers as well as IPSF direct to ask these same questions and IPSF have not replied yet (its been 2 days!) and the resellers seem to have no idea what the answer is - they have just sent me confusing replies which didn't answer my questions!

We could really do with some help here!

24. macrumors 65816

I double checked my information and the NON tiff jailbreak does work on Windows BUT it is way too complicated for me to feel happy using.

And it still doesn't help us understnd what IPSF does when you run it!

I am surprised when you consider how quickly the iPod Touch jailbreak went from over 70 stages to 1 click jailbreaking that we do not have anything that simple for the iPhone update yet!

Whats with th delay?

25. macrumors member

If you run IPSF on your unlocked phone it will not work since your iphone it's already unlocked, you need to lock it again and then reunlock with IPSF.

I guess you have to remove your actual sim card during the unlock process of IPSF, if not you can get imei errors. just remove for the unlock.

At least the resellers replied you! I bought a license from freeouriphones on friday and they haven't send me any registration email and do not even reply to my emails