iPhoto 06 no longer copies pictures to its Library

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Applespider, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Apparently iPhoto 06 now, as requested by many people, acts more like iTunes in that you don't have to have your images copied into your iPhoto library but can use your own photo structure.

Jim Heid mentions this in a PDF summing up iLife 06. It's an interesting read; he's obviously been using it for some time in preparation for writing his latest book and there's quite a lot of info it it.

Apparently, in iDVD, there's no longer a 99 photo limit to the slideshows either. And iMovie has a time lapse feature (I'm assuming that's different from the old 'speed it up' effect?)

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That's nice. I'm sure there are a lot of new features that we didn't get to see in the keynote. I can't wait to try it out.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats really good news as it was the one thing that annoyed me about previous versions of iPhoto,

Shadow;)

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmmm... maybe I relly must get iLife '06. Good thing I still got a valid students card... :)

Edit: Or maybe not... the EDU discount wasn't as good as it has been for iLife earlier. Now it costs NOK598 while it's NOK699 in the regular store. Just last year the EDU price was under half of that for iLife '05 (h***, even the regular 05 was cheaper than the EDU '06... :( :mad:

</rant>

5. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Finally, I was waiting for this. That would actually be a great reason to buy the new iLife06-Suite to make it even more worth your while bundle it with a new intel-Mac later this year.

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Is there any way to have a folder of photos that are password-locked or whatever and NOT have iPhoto just *WHAM* show them all?

7. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

This really sounds good. Forcing people to store photos where the application wants to was not a great idea for everybody. :)

8. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Yes, I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious, or does this feature not exist at all? I have a few photos I would like to keep, but having them amongst all my photos, easily visible to anyone, isn't cool. I want to use slideshow as my desktop background and screen-saver but some of my pics would not be appropriate in certain company.
    *blushes*

9. Project macrumors 68020

I think we can all agree that iPhoto 06 is an excellent update. Good to see Apple not resting on their laurels.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This benefit bothers me. There seems to be an industry between software developers and the guidebooks that seem to be missing from what we load on our computers.

I am getting tired of buying the "Missing Manuals", in addition to the cost of the software.

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Interesting ...

I've just upgraded to iPhoto 6 but it has been crashing left and right. :mad:

I restarted after installing and it upgraded my library then loaded thumbnails but it has been closing every few minutes. Really annoying! I might just reinstall from scratch.

Also, I can't select "Desktop" anymore. Anyone know why? :confused:

12. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Me too. I was building a calendar. Performance got a little sluggish when scrolling between months (on a DP PM!) and crashed.

Later, crashed when importing 6 photos into iPhoto.

Overall, I've had about 5 crashes of iPhoto. Thankfully, auto-save has allowed me to not lose any work.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

My mom wanted something like that on her Mac, so what I did was add a keyword "boring" to iPhoto and gave that keyword to the photos she wouldn't want in a slideshow. Then, I created a "not boring" smart folder (everything missing the boring keyword) and set the slideshow to that for her.

Now that iPhoto is willing to leave photos in their original spots, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to set up a separate user account for photos you really, really want hidden?

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Can anyone tell my why this is good? I am just trying to learn....

Where else would people put them that would be better?

15. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its good becuase you dont have to duplicate your photo's if you use iPhoto and store them in other places. Also it allows you to manually manage your photo's as iPhoto used to throw the photo's all around the place making them hard to find via finder,

SHadow

16. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

That's a pretty good idea! I'll have to try it.

17. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Even if you continue letting iPhoto manage it for you, it's better organised now. Instead of the year, month, day folder naming structure, it's been improved. It still has Year at the top level but then it goes straight to the name of the roll of film which makes life much easier.

18. fremeijer macrumors newbie

crashing

for me too iphoto '06 crashes almost every time I use it, completely useless, no clue what could cause it, did the usual trick already (start up using command & alt etc)

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My problem is that after the 10.4.4 update, that wonderful date pop-up in the middle of the screen as you scroll is no longer there!