iPhoto 4.0.1

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple released iPhoto 4.0.1 today in your Software Update:

iPhoto 4 was originally released with iLife '04 in January.

2. macrumors 65816

Dippo

I hope this improves the speed a bit.

When I used it last it seemed a bit sluggish but of course that was on an eMac.

3. macrumors 65816

Stike

VERY nice! I will update ASAP. Love the new iPhoto, and it can only get better!

4. macrumors member

Nice to see

iPhoto was neglected for so long. Glad to see that at least they are paying attention to it now that it is not free :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 6502a

swissmann

I have always had iPhoto but have never used it until iLife '04. I think it has improved enough to really be used and I like it quite a bit.

6. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Downloading now, only 4 MB. I was really impressed with iPhoto 4's speed when I first got it. Glad to see they're further improving it.

7. macrumors 68040

jxyama

cool! can't wait until i get off work to try the new one!

ha ha, i hear ya... i guess it's not "free" anymore, so apple can't neglect it as much...

8. macrumors regular

I assume this is only for iLife '04 customers...

9. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This is pretty great that it's supposedly even faster. I thought iPhoto 4 was great.

10. macrumors newbie

Now if we could just get a Keynote update and one for Garage Band. ;)

11. macrumors 604

iJon

...how else would you get iphoto 4?

iJon

12. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

When I launched iPhoto after the update it asked me to update my thumbnails, which took about a minute on my PowerBook G4 1GHz with 512MB RAM and about 150 photos.

It seems a lot faster. Good job Apple.

13. macrumors G3

With the purchase of a new machine.

14. macrumors member

ok

Just wanted to say my install went fine

15. macrumors 604

iJon

true, which is still ilife 04'. i just dont understand what his statement was suppose to mean. yes it is for 04's customers, but isnt that a given anyways, who else would it be for.

iJon

16. macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I've got three words for you

GET OVER IT!

:rolleyes: to you too.

17. macrumors 6502

Easy install, but it took 29 minutes rebuilding the thumbnails on a 667 PB with 1 gig memory. Perhaps because there were almost 2,000 photos and most were from a 4 mpix digital camera - and some photos were 5 Mb each. Well worth the effort as the thumbnails are excellent.

18. macrumors 65816

Stike

On my single G4 933 MHz updating the tumbnails for over 4000 pics takes about 1 hour - prepare for some waiting time after the update!

iPhoto is still working... about 15 min to go....

19. Moderator emeritus

Exactly!

[sarcasm]
    It's terrible that a company would charge $49 for 5 better than average applications, especially when they're good values at that price. I believe Apple should start giving away everything--for free.
    [/sarcasm]

I'm glad Apple is cotinuing to work on this highly-subsidised application and make it better than ever. It's one more reason that owning a Macintosh makes live easier, or at least, more enjoyable.

20. macrumors newbie

njthree

Agree ... Quick install and 8 minute thumbnail update on a 15" TiPB ... :)

21. macrumors 6502a

took about 1 min to download - 3 min to update thumbnails

im all giddy =)

god i love updates

22. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

I just joined the masses and bought a Canon Elph s400. I've been holding out for affordable Digital SLR's but think that Canon and Nikon still have a lot of margin room on their latest sub $1000 offerings. Maybe next year. (Plus Amazon has a pretty good price on this, "end of model year", camera)

I got my first real tast of iPhoto this weeked and am bit put off by the fact that it doesn't keep an "original" copy of your picture. Before now, I've used it quite a bit for organizing images from Picture-CD's but I've always got a backup of the original on both the CD from the lab and, of course, the 35mm negative. But with digital, my original file gets sucked into iPhoto and changed every time I crop it or do anything else to it. Is there a way to make a copy inside of iPhoto so I can have albums of "originals" as well as modified images?

Also the printing didn't seem to want to work with my Epson R300 and some 4x6 photo paper - it kept saying the page was too small for the print. (I'll play with it some more, but that's the kind of stuff iApps are supposed to do for you, isn't it?)

(BTW: Yes, I know I can tell iPhoto to not remove the images from my CF card and then I can copy them off to the HD and/or CD-R)

A friend showed me a Windows app that looks and feels exactly like iPhoto (from my limited exposure to it) and it does maintain a kind of "version control" type of library. Where the original is kept, along with all of the changes you make to the picture. Since CVS/RCS comes with OS X, I wonder if they could integrate it?

23. macrumors newbie

I'll wait until later tonight

It's probably a good time to backup my library and I expect the thumbnail upgrade to take an hour or so based on the posts. Can anyone say what was improved in relation to the Rendevous photo sharing? I am hoping it is much much faster.

24. macrumors 6502a

iChan

3128 photos... 17 minutes. 512RAM, 4200RPM HD, 1.25Ghz PB...

long enough methinks.

still waiting... but Really looking forward to it...

25. macrumors 6502a

question -->

when do yall think we'll see an update to iTunes and iChat? Im particularily looking forward to these 2 updates - though this iPhoto one is nice :)