iphoto 4 and firewalls

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atomiton, Apr 22, 2005.

1. atomiton macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2004
    i have a lot of photos on my work computer which is behind a firewall... and i can't seem to order books... or buy music in iTMS for that matter... which doesn't matter as I don't like buying music online... so anyway.

For iPhoto, i get to the point of ordering... but it says can't establish connection.

Does anyone know what port iPhoto uses to submit photos... or what firewall restrictions would prevent this from happening? Please help!!! The one thing I don't like about my Mac is that troubleshooting problems is difficult as OSX doesn't give feedback when there is an error... just a beep or vague message. Or at least, I don't know how to find out what the error is.
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This thread seems to imply that 8770 is used for *sharing*, but I don't think you need any ports open in your firewall to get to the store. I do not have any ports opened for iTunes or iPhoto on my Mac.

Is it possible that the problem is not that you don't have ports open on your computer, but that your network is blocking outgoing traffic on certain ports or to certain destinations?