iPhoto 5...blah

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacBacon, Mar 17, 2005.

1. MacBacon macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've installed the above, but prefer iphoto4 - how can I restore 4? - I have a new G5 iMac, however the install disks doesn't seem to have the iphoto software.

Any ideas how I can revert back to iphoto4?

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The restore discs do have iPhoto on them, but it's hidden from the Finder. Here is how I did it. First insert restore disc 1, and take note of what it's called. (Mine is called 'iBook Software') Then open up Terminal and issue this command:

cp -rp /Volumes/iBook\ Software/System/Installation/Packages/iPhoto.pkg ~/Desktop

You'll see that I typed 'iBook\ Software' - the backslash has to come before the space. If your disc is called something else, substitute its name in there, putting a backslash before any spaces.

Now you should have iPhoto.pkg on your desktop. You have to trash iPhoto 5 before you can install 4.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If you're not so keen on the terminal, check out Pacifist.

4. MacBacon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, tried both suggestions but iphoto doesn't appear to be any of the disks???

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

What don't you like about iPhoto 5? I like all the new features they added. Such things as giving the photo rolls a title and description when you import then is very nice. I don't think it is that much different that you would want to switch back.

6. MacBacon thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a problem with the functionality, however on the ugly scale...this baby is Fuuuuugly. Which is one of the reasons I switched to OSX from XP.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Other than what the others have said, I don't think that I can really help you out. However, I would like to comment on that last remark that you made--even though iPhoto 5 is better than iPhoto 4 in terms of functionality, you want to go back because iPhoto 5 is "fuggly". No offense, but it seems to me that you are going through alot of trouble for something so minor. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think you may have trouble reverting back unless you have a back up of your iPhoto 04 library. The library gets converted to iPhoto 5 when you open it and I don't think there's a reverse for it. It does warn you that your library won't work with previous versions of iPhoto.