iPhoto 5 book bugs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amin, Jan 23, 2005.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I love the editing capabilities of the new iPhoto, and I have always been a fan of the books. I have been experiencing a couple bugs though. Before anyone asks, I am using the retail version of iLife '05 (obtained legally) on a Rev A 12" Powerbook.

The main issue I'm having is this:
    [​IMG]
    I think the picture speaks for itself. Those pics, as you can see in the thumbnails above, should not just have legs in 'em. What's worse is that the preview of the book didn't show that bug at all until after I ordered 2 copies of the book for $30 each plus shipping ($8) and tax ($3). During the creation of the book, those pages looked fine. All I can say is that if those books get shipped to me with those messed up pages, I am going to be one unhappy customer. I'll still buy an OS update, .Mac subscription, and new iLife/iWork updates yearly, but they won't be getting any more book money from me!

The only other issue is that the softcover books don't seem to be available now. If they are, I can't find 'em.

Anyone else having issues with iPhoto books?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Inform Apple of the bug. Call them up, ask for an email address so you can show the screen shot. I can see at the top of the screen shot that the book has a pic of the whole body of the baby, but down at the bottom it seems zoomed in at the legs. They do like to hear about things that need fixing.

3. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

I was going to send them a bug report, but I am trouble finding an email address through which I can inform them.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

BTW I don't see any pictures in your original post.... I even tried turning off adblock and I still don't see them. :(

5. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Did you check the iPhoto support page? They suggest creating a PDF of the book to preview before you order:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61392

I think you can contact them through the support pages as well.

Also, if this happens again, you can always cancel your order within 90 minutes of submitting it.

Finally, were your photos in a 4:3 ratio to begin with? Apparently, that's the key.

7. DanTheMan macrumors member

Did you try double clicking on the image and then moving the picture around using the hand tool?

When creating a book iPhoto lays the pictures out automatically and crops automatically as well. This looks especially bad when it tries to fit a landscape oriented picture into portrait template. I found that you can just double click on the picture and then click and hold down on the picure which brings up the hand tool to move the picture around "in frame".

The bug that I find is that when I have two blank pages at the end and I go to remove the last blank page first, the whole application crashes. :(

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Other than the bug, how is the actual print quality of the book. Do the pictures look like photofinishing or inkjet prints. Also if you dont mind, are the paper matte or glossy. I was thinking of using photo books but have always been concerned of the price and quality.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I have another problem with the iPhoto books. We used iPhoto 4 to create a book that we were almost ready to order (a lot of thought went into it) and when we updated to iPhoto 5 it disappeared! We meant to wait, but someone updated the library before we stopped them. Anyone know if it's recoverable?

jW

10. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I assume you lost the text you typed because the photos are just in a certain order in an album which should have converted or should be not too difficult to replicate. The only problem I've had with photo books is I chose an unsupported font once. On screen, my book looked fine but when it arrived... I called Apple and they had me ship it back and credited my account. I fixed it and all was well.

Nonetheless... I've had iLife '05 since Friday but haven't installed it yet. I've got that dread. That dread of 3800 pics and about 150 keywords all neatly organized in OCD bliss. I'll probably copy the library over to the fraulein's iBook just in case.

If I don't act soon, the iLife '06 rumors will be starting...

11. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

How was I supposed to know that before running into the problem?
    They were totally unhelpful when I did this. I got back really dumb impersonal responses that conveyed no understanding whatsoever of my issues.
    I didn't realize the problem within 90 minutes. I didn't know to check. It won't happen again, because I won't be buying anymore books. Their "support" is just too deficient, so they won't be getting any more of my money.
    First of all, yes they were. Second, they don't tell you anywhere in the book-making process that you need 4:3 photos.

The fact that the bug exists doen't bother me. The fact that they do not provide phone support does. The fact that I did not receive reasonable responses to my emails also does. The whole support process frankly infuriated me.