iPhoto 5/E-mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by QFace, Feb 6, 2005.

1. QFace macrumors member

QFace

Hello,
    I recently upgraded to iPhoto 5 (I also updated to 5.0.1). I cannot select the "Mail" application as my preferred program to have photos e-mailed to. Entourage is selected. When I go to the preferences pane, and try to choose "Mail" as my "Email photos using" preference, "Mail" is grayed out. I have both "Mail" and Entourage (From Office X) installed on my Mac. Any idea of what is wrong?

2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

This happended to me with version 4. Trash the preferences file for iPhoto.

3. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I had this happen to me in iPhoto 4 and continue on when I installed iPhoto 5. I trashed the preferences file like the above post said to no avail. Then after an hour spend on the phone with Applecare, nothing. Then I found this link on another thread here in Macrumors.

http://www.automatorworld.com/archives/2005/01/the_iphoto_chal_1.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the article, the author explains that if your computer had a previous system on it, then the computer actually has two Apple mail programs on it. Therefore, iPhoto can't decide which program to use. So, it won't let you use either.

I just went into my old system folder and deleted my old mail program and voila!!! iPhoto would let me use mail then.

4. QFace thread starter macrumors member

QFace

Thank You!

Awesome Advice
    Definitely works. Now I can e-mail photographs the way iPhoto intended.

Here's a little more advice if anybody else has a similar problem:
    - I wasn't quite sure where the previous systems folder was, but if you just search your HD for "Mail", eventually two Mail applications will show up. Delete the one that is in the previous systems folder (you can click on each mail application and look at the bottom of the search screen to see where each Mail application is located).
    - I had to restart my computer for the solution to take effect

Good luck!

5. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Mine has AOL as the only option but still opens Mail (i dont have AOL)