iPhoto 6 Crashes on Import

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jzieske, Sep 17, 2006.

1. jzieske macrumors regular

Everytime I try to import photos into iPhoto it crashes. When I got to import the screen switches and says "# photos to import" and then iPhoto closes and gives me a window to submit the problem to Apple. It does not make a difference if I import one or more photos. This started happening about a week ago. I did not make any changes to my system or software. I am using a G4 Powerbook and iPhoto 6.

Any Ideas???

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Where are the photos being imported from? Do you have a camera plugged in? Also, if you open up a new user account, can you import to that user's iPhoto? :)

3. jzieske thread starter macrumors regular

The photos were being imported from a folder on my hard drive. I had already saved the photos off the compact flash card and resized them for iPhoto. I did not try a new user account yet.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, what file format are the pictures? Definitely try the second user account too. It's a pretty good way of narrowing down the possible causes for your problem. :)

5. jzieske thread starter macrumors regular

The photos are all jpgs. I created a second user account and the same thing happened.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try importing a photo from the internet (drag a photo to the Desktop and then into iPhoto). I wonder if that'll work... Also, what sort of camera are these coming from? :)

7. jzieske thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I tried importing a couple photos off the internet. The first one worked no problem, the second one crashed iPhoto.

The only thing I can think of is that when I download photos off my D70 I put them in a folder and then bring them into Photoshop Elemennts and resize and rename them. I then import the smaller photos into iPhoto to make viewing the photos quicker. I tried importing some older "small" photos that already been imported and they also crashed iPhoto. I did manage to get a couple of the "large" photos to import without crashing.

Could it have something to do with how PSE is saving the photos? But if it does why do some photos that did work at one point not work now?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

By large photos, do you mean they're unedited? I don't know Photoshop very well but could you try saving them as a different format? :)