iPhoto 6 - improved "Save for web" capabilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Onkelskrue, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Onkelskrue macrumors member

Hi,
    The poor image compression capabilities of iPhoto 5 has been driving me crazy and I am stuck with almost a thousand pictures that are way too large to be uploaded to the web. I have them nicely organized in "albums", otherwise, if I just had them all in one folder, I would just use Photoshop and batch optimize them.

Thoughts anyone?

Much obliged,
    Lars

2. Onkelskrue thread starter macrumors member

Ok, if nobody knows whether iPhoto 6 has improved features or not, how about some tips on how to optimize the images without ruining my albums and all. Right now, iPhoto has of course distributed the 1000 or so pictures in a number of different subfolder and I am not sure how to go about getting them down to a practical size. I created a droplet in PS CS2, but I am pretty new, so any advice would be welcome!

Cheers,
    Lars

3. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

I have been using Imagewell for quick resizes file formats for my webstuff.

It is SUPER easy to use and free. It is a Macworld recommended download:

http://xtralean.com/IW.html

I don't think it will help your bulk items since you have to drag each image into the "well".

4. Onkelskrue thread starter macrumors member

Ok, this may sound a bit silly, but would anyone know if there is an easy way to extract all the images from the pictures folder, optimize them in CS2 and then save them back in the same folders they came from? Right now, they are in about two different folders and doing this manually for 1000 pictures is a bit of a pain.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Lars

5. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

For stuff that doesn't matter, I use the crude method of taking a screenshot of the photo of a size I know won't be too large. :cool:

6. Onkelskrue thread starter macrumors member

Oops - I didn´t mean two different folders, I meant two DOZEN or so different folders, thus extracting them manually to PS would be a major pain.

Thougths anyone?

Cheers,
    Lars

7. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

why dont you create a smart folder which houses all the photos, then select all and drag them into a folder on your desktop - then batch resize the copies with photoshop?

thats what id do...:eek:

8. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Burn all the photos to a DVD for back-up sake. then copy them to a folder o your desktop and do what you need. If you screw up a picture you can replace it from the DVD.

9. Onkelskrue thread starter macrumors member

Worked GREAT BollywooD! I had been struggeling with this one for a while, so you saved the day!

Lars

10. howesey macrumors 6502a

You can either,

Use Automator to find the files (setup a spotlight search in Automator to look up the META data), downsize and compress.

Use Adobe Bridge and Photoshop, search by meta data in the library (it will read meta data created by iPhoto), and then do a batch to convert and compress.