iPhoto 6: Non-destructive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Josh, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I've looked all over the net, here, on Appple's site, and elsewhere, but found no mention of this topic.

Does anyone know if the photo editting in iPhoto 6 is non-destructive, similar to that in Aperture?

For exmaple, when you edit a photo, is an original, in untouched condintion, backed-up and saved, or do your changes take effect and replace the original, thereby 'destroying' it?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can always revert to original in iPhoto. This has been there for quite a few versions. What you cannot do (which I believe you can in Aperture) is go back and alter one of the changes once it's applied. Revert is all or nothing.

3. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Really? So if I edit a pic in iPhoto, and say a month later, would like to edit again, I can pull up the original (not the edited version), and apply a different edit?

The reason I ask, is because I did some wedding photos once, and accidentally turned a really great color photo to black and white. I have never been able to revert it to its original condition.

I know I can edit+undo for 1 change or so, but I never knew that I could revert to an original after several edits, or a long amount of time has passed, or after I've editted several other images.

I must be overlooking the option somwehere.:confused:

Since then, I have *never* made any sort of adjustment to a photo in iPhoto, and all pics I take for print or that are not just 'snapshots' I keep them clear of iPhoto and export them out right away. I'd like to use iPhoto for just casual photos, but sometimes casual photos need a little adjustment, but I don't want to make any changes at all if I can never go back to the original.

4. lopresmb macrumors 6502

should be able to, just look for the revert to origional command down at the bottom of the edit menu I believe and that should to the trick - just remember like was said that you'll loose all the changes you made.

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

It's in the "Photos" menu.
    At the bottom: "Revert to original"

Cheers

6. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

Another idea...

In both iphoto 5 & 6 there is a folder called "originals".

Hardrive > Pictures > iPhoto Library > Originals

There is also a folder called "modified".

Find that folder and you should be good to go!

7. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Thanks for the tips everyone, it's definitely a life saver!