iPhoto 6 problem can't copy or burn - "File is busy."

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LimeiBook86, Mar 13, 2007.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Hi guys,

I'm having a frustrating problem with iPhoto 6. I recently started backing up my photos to DVDs. I just updated to 10.4.9 and iPhoto 6.0.6 and assumed this problem was related to that. But, it seems that it's not. After repairing permissions and restarting the problem still exists.

It seems one of the albums I made could not be burned to a disc. It fails and says "Burn error." this leaves the disc untouched. So I thought this must be a problem with one of the photo files. I attempted to copy all of the 4,000 or so photos to my external Hard Drive. It was about to copy them when I get an error message saying "IM000914_1.JPG" is busy. That's it - it doesn't give me any options, but "OK" I click OK and the process stops. So I remove the file in question. I go to copy the photos again, bam! Another problem with a different file name. I can't understand what's going on. So at this point I re-built the Library and Thumbnail caches. I try it again - same problem. :eek: I burned a different album to make sure it wasn't a problem with my DVD burner or iPhoto and that album burned perfectly.

The similarities between the files are interesting. All were taken around 2004 and were transfered from my old iBook a while ago. They usually have a filter or were modified from the original. And all of the file names end with an underscore and a number, for example "_1.jpg" or "_2.jpg". There are no other programs that are using these file so this puzzles me why they would be in use.

If I try and copy the individual file that's "busy" it will copy fine. But if I select it as a group and try and copy, it gives me an error message and fails to copy. I wish there was a way to locate which out of the 4,000 + files are bad, but the album I have is mixed with photos from 2004 to 2005. It would be impossible to locate all of them by hand. I'm thinking maybe if I can somehow copy the files from the select album via FireWire Target disk mode maybe the files wouldn't be "In use" - but I can't think of a way to select all of the photos in the album out of iPhoto. :confused:

I'm confused and frustrated with this one, any help would be great. This is the last disc of my photo backups and I wonder if I'll ever get these things backed up! :mad:

Attached Files:

2. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yay!

Problem solved!

The problem was these photos from various rolls, dates, and folders had the same file names. Now since by themselves they were separated so the names didn't conflict with each other. But, when I put them in one folder, they did - causing problems since they had the same name sometimes.

So I had to rename all 4,000+ photos. Thankfully I used iPhoto's Export feature. One of the options when exporting is to change the file name, so I named the Folder the photos were in to "Old-Photos" and set the new file names to be created from the Folder (album) name. I clicked export, and it worked fine!

Now the photos have their own file name (Old-Photos-1.jpg, Old-Photos-2.jpg) etc, and they all play nicely in the same folder. It's rare that this would happens since digital cameras use a unique numbering system. But, these photos were taken with an old digital camera, and the problem was when the batteries died sometimes it reset the photo number order (which created this mess) So it's rare that this will happen, but I'm happy Apple included a Export feature with some options to work around this.

I hope this information helps somebody in the future who may have a similar problem! ;) :D