iPhoto album question

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by richxps, Dec 1, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Hi, when I create new albumns in iPhoto is this creating another copy of my photo, which than increases the size if my iPhoto library ?

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

No it does not create another copy of the photos. The album is just a pointer to the original.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

That's for the reply, why than does it seem to have doubled in size ? I have 11k photos and its over 45 gb

4. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

It would not be from the albums. One thing that does happen though is when you bring up a photo and adjust/edit it in any way, like to fix red-eye or brighten it up... iPhoto keeps the original photo and creates a duplicate edited photo. So if say you import 30 photos and edit them all... you end up with 60 photos stored on the drive.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks again, I never made any adjustments, all I did was transfer my library from a external hd to my Mac , I'm thinking 11k photos should be around 30gb ,

6. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

That sounds about right to me too. Click a recent photo in iPhoto then do command-i to see the photo info to look at the size. If you are saving really high res. photos in some ginormous file size, I guess that could all add up.

I have about 6,000 photos and the library is 8GB. Some of my older photos are relatively low res. though.