iPhoto albums to CD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by anothernewbie, Oct 21, 2004.

1. anothernewbie macrumors member

Need help from experienced iPhoto users. I have assembled an album of 113 photos taken from different albums and put into one album for a slideshow. When I burn a CD from this album all the photos are there but the order of the photos comes out different from my original selected order. I've tried transfering the album to the desktop with plans to then make the CD, but I get the dreaded "caution: not enough disk space to complete this operation". Now, I've got 1Gig RAM and 80 Gig HD, and the photo collection is only 155 MB. Clearly there is a way to do what I want. Can you help me? (OS 10.3.5, iPhoto 4.0.3) Fred

2. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Check this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1081185#post1081185

It looks like the trick is to export the album from iPhoto, then burn that on a CD. I've never tried this myself, but it sounds like it should work.

Regards,
    Marc

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

You could burn a slideshow (complete with transitions) by exporting to iDVD. It's a bit of overkill I know and you'll need a superdrive :(

4. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

That's very true; only problem is iDVD can only have 99 images in a slideshow, and he's got 113. He'd have to use iMovie to create the slideshow, then send that to iDVD.

Regards,
    Marc

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Only 99? Didn't know that. That's something new I've learnt today! ;)

6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Export it as a Quicktime file. Not sure if you have noticed but the music in your slideshow will shift ever so slightly when launched from within iPhoto. Sometimes you will be one slide short or one slide too long. Exporting it to Quicktime locks in the settings.

7. anothernewbie thread starter macrumors member

Update

I did try the iDVD that Caveman suggested and I did find that there was a 99 photo limit (nowhere near the capacity of the DVD); however, the order of the photos transferred was correct.
    I'll try playing with the iMovie suggestion of Mslifkin, but I had hoped for a CD. Can this really be such a big problem? Am I the only person on earth who is trying to do this?
    Thanks Insp.Lee I'll try your suggestion. Fred

8. anothernewbie thread starter macrumors member

More recent update

Both suggested methods work! Either selecting within a new project in iMovie (you can select the album from iPhoto from within iMovie), or exporting the album file to Quicktime then burning a DVD from there. Quicktime includes the music from iPhoto, iMovie dosen't transfer the music from iPhoto but allows you to select from your iTunes music library. So one problem is solved; however, the photo resolution is degraded by both methods. The iPhoto slide show is much clearer. There is less resolution in the Quicktime DVD or on the screen from Quicktime before making the DVD. I didn't burn another DVD from iMovie, but the on-screen slide show was as poor as from Quicktime.
    Thanks for the help so far, any new ideas? Fred

9. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Try this ...

Hello Fred,

OK, you want a CD, we'll give you a CD! Here's what you do:

1) Select the album you want to burn to a CD
    2) Click File ... Export
    3) On the Export Photos dialog, click the File Export button
    4) To maintain the original order of your slide show you must select Use Album Name for the Name. What this does is to actually rename the images Album_Name-1, Album_Name-2, Album_Name-3, ect.
    5)Click on the Export button, and select the folder you want to put them in.

Once the images are exported, insert a blank CD, and once the CD mounts on your Desktop drag the exported images into the CD and then burn away!

This should do exactly what you want it to do.

Regards,
    Marc

10. anothernewbie thread starter macrumors member

Results of try this

Well, Marc I tried your suggestion of file export using album name and all seemed to go well. But, although the burned CD did have most of the photos in proper order, some escaped our best efforts and were in random order preceding the No.1 photo that should start the slide show. I will try this again (hope springs eternal), because the images were renamed sequentially as you indicated, but there is something else going on that I do not understand. The resolution and photo quality was fine. If you have any other ideas let me know. I do appreciate your efforts to help solve this problem. Not all images are in the same format (most are JPEG, a few are TIFF) if this would make any difference. Fred

11. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

We're getting closer ...

Hi Fred,

What were the filenames of the images that were out of order? Were only the tiff files out of sequence? If that's the case there is a Use Extension checkbox that's checked by default. I just tried mixing tiff files with jpegs, did the export with the Use Extension box checked, and it still worked correctly. Also, did you check the order of the images in the folder you exported to? If the order is correct in the folder, then check the order on the CD prior to burning it. Maybe the order got mixed up when you transferred the images from the export folder to the CD. Actually, you can combine two steps; insert the blank CD, and give it a name when prompted. Do the file export, and use the blank CD as the target. That should do it.

Regards,
    Marc

12. anothernewbie thread starter macrumors member

One step forward two steps back

Here's the latest, principally for Marc, but others might have some insight too.
    The export sequence was correctly done.,
    The order to the CD was correctly done.
    The images were in the correct order on the new CD (and the one I did yesterday using Marc's directions Re. "album name").
    The photos were imported into a new file in iPhoto in the correct sequence (I can see thumbnails during the import).
    After importation was complete and iPhoto switched from import to organize, showing the enire new album, the order was switched!

Here's some more basic info that didn't seem important before but may be now:
    All photos were scanned from film, by two different outfits.
    28 images in the album are shown as in JPEG Image folders(with the photo icon), all others are in plain folders and shown as "documents".
    Most, but not all, of the images that get rearranged are from JPEG Image folders. A couple of folders show a lock icon.

Any ideas?

13. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

OK, let's try this ...

Hi Fred,

I didn't realize that you were taking this CD and importing it into another iPhoto library. I don't think that iPhoto would create an album on import; it just adds the images to the library. What would probably work is if instead of exporting the album and burning a CD using the Finder, just burn it from within iPhoto. I'll explain ...

When you import pictures into iPhoto they land in a directory
    Your_Home_Directory/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2004/10/23 (for example). When an album gets created, it lands in Your_Home_Directory/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Albums/Album_Name. Inside the Album_Name folder are aliases (pointers, if you will) to the images in the library.

When you burn the CD from iPhoto, both the images and the aliases are written to the CD. To burn a CD from iPhoto select the album you want to burn on the left side, but make sure that no images are selected on the right. If any images are selected, they will be the only images that get burned, so make sure that no images have a blue highlight around them. If images are selected just click any blank area on the right, and that will unselect any selected images. Now click the Burn button in the lower right hand corner. The drive will open and you'll be prompted for a blank disc. Insert the CD, click the (now flashing) burn button again, and it should verify how many images it's going to burn. Click the blue burn button in the confirmation dialog, and your disc will be created. Once the burn is complete the CD will be ejected.

When you take that CD to another Mac, as soon as you insert it iPhoto will start, and the CD will appear on the left side in the Source column (iPhoto Library - Date you burned the disc). On the right side you'll see the images, and they will be in the wrong order ... but if you click on the triangle to the left of the CD (iPhoto Library - 10/23/04) you will see the album. If you click on the album you will see the images in the correct sequence. To transfer the album to that iPhoto library just drag the album to just below the trash can (until you see a "+" sign in a green blob) and drop it, and the images and their aliases will be imported, and the album will appear in the Source column.

Thanks Fred, for the opportunity to crawl around in iPhoto like this. I use it to manage my digital pictures, but I've never done much with moving albums between libraries before today.

Regards,
    Marc

14. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

You have the op to set the resolution of the slideshow when exporting to Quicktime. I've found that if I match the resolution to that of my TiBook (1280 x 854), I see no degradation when playing the slideshow full-screen (on the TiBook). However... I've hooked my TiBook to a teevee before using a standard S-Video cable in order to play a slideshow and because most teevees are 800 x 600, I've had to watch a painful degradation in quality. I have a feeling this will be the case if you burn to cd or dvd (unless there exists some magic in going the iMovie/iDVD route). Best of luck.

15. anothernewbie thread starter macrumors member

Success at last!

What tangled webs we weave.
    Too bad I didn't tell you what I wanted the CD for, to start this whole thread.
    Finally, I've got what I wanted...all 113 pictures on the CD and an easy manner to play them in the correct order. Many thanks to Marc for sticking with me and teaching me a lot about iPhoto! The purpose of the CD is to serve as a gift to my Daughter and her Husband, representing my records on film of our trip to China to adopt a baby girl. Before sending them the CD (to play on their Macs), I wanted to be sure the pics were in the proper order on the CD, and to do this I wanted to play the new CD on my Mac. Sounds easy, and it is, when you know how to do it!

For Inspector Lee: thanks for your input, too. I did burn a DVD (in iDVD), and the quality, and order of all 99 images seemed fine, although it was displayed on a small "player" on my 20" iMac in iDVD. I'll bet there's a way to make "chapters" or something like that, so that we could get more than 99 photos on one DVD. But that is a project for another day.

This was my first use of this forum. It exceeded my expectations, and in return, I hope I can provide some help to somebody else.

Thanks again, Fred

16. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Aw shucks ...

Fred,

You're most welcome. I'm glad I could help; especially for such a noble endeavor. I used to be a PC nut, and didn't want anything to do with Macs. Once I tried one (and got a taste of Mac OS X) I was hooked. Now my PCs collect dust, and my Macs get used every day. It's absolutely amazing, the quality of the software that comes "in the box" with a Mac; software you'd have to pay extra for on a Windows machine. Anyway, I'm glad that things worked out the way they did.

Regards,
    Marc