iphoto and itunes are confusing me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tuggy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. tuggy macrumors newbie

hello everyone

sorry if what i'm going to say is very stupid, but i just got my ibook 24h ago and im still getting used to the mac-world(linux user) :p

i copied all my videos/musics/photos from my old linux laptop to my ibook, and then imported the whole stuff with iphoto and itunes, so far so good. suddenly i noticed the disk space had been reduced much more of what i was expecting so i went to investigate and found out the iphoto and itunes made a copy of every file they imported!!!
    is this ok? what is the point of having 2 copies of the same file?
    i thought they would just scan for files and add the locations to a library or something.
    its not very pratical to get a picture from the internet, have to import it and then delete it...

anyone care to enlighten me on this?
    thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

for iPhoto this is the only way it can be done because of the file structue system that it creates, sorry

iTunes on the other hand you can have either manage your library and keep it organized, which it is set to on defult, open up the preferences and you can have the iTunes folder located where you would like

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you save an image from the internet, why not just drag it straight to the iPhoto icon in the Dock (assuming iPhoto is open). No need to save somewhere and then delete. If iPhoto is closed, I tend to drag the file onto my desktop, and then drag it into iPhoto next time it's open.

I kept a copy of my orignal files (pictures and music) and then just deleted them from my HD, just keeping them in my iPhoto and iTunes folders.

4. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I personally like to let iTunes organize my music, and with iPhoto we don't get a choice. But just so you know, it's perfectly safe to delete the originals once they've been copied into the file structure for whichever app you're using. For example, if I download a song onto my desktop, I then drag it to the iTunes icon to import it, and then drag the original to the trash.

Enjoy your new baby!

5. tuggy thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for the replies.

i'm starting to get the hang of it :)
    i just dont like the idea of using iPhoto for managing all the pics... i mean, its ok for big collections, like photos of some events .. but for those everydays pics you just copy, transform, share, delete.. i prefer to keep them out of iPhoto :)
    and, if you put everything in iPhoto... your pictures folder will be empty! :p

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    sorry it sounded like you wanted to keep everything in iPhoto.

But yes, I keep my personal pics in iPhoto (and any pics that family and friends mail me). Any interesting pics I get online or anything I want to work with in Photoshop gets stored in other files within my Pics folder.