iPhoto and Mail integration issue.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brap, Dec 4, 2004.

1. brap macrumors 68000

I use Thunderbird, right.
    Whenever I open a mailto:, Thunderbird opens.
    In the pref panel of Mail, I observe even it knows Thunderbird is the daddy.

So why the hell, when I click 'email' on the iPhoto Useless Bar(tm) does it tell me I have 'no mail accounts configured for Mail'... I don't use Mail!

:mad: - I got seriously vexed when that happened, because I was trying to show my partner how easy things were.

I don't know whether I'm asking for a solution (if there is one), or just shouting. Apple will certainly be getting a 'suggestion' from this.

2. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I think this is just so that apple can list seamless integration as a feature of mail.

Besides, think about how many different versions of the code apple would have to wite for every mail client - it's easy to open an email message and have a subject auto-typed in, but attaching an image is a totally different issue.

I dont think apple is going to change this any time soon to be honest..

/asif

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I believe you can go to iPhoto preferences and change the default mail application to whatever you want in iPhoto 4. Hope that helps.
    -Chase

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Been there; done that; I get the T-shirt Monday afternoon. Even when I choose Eudora or M$ Entourage as my default mail client, iPhoto does not recognize the change. iPhoto appears to be hardwired to Mail as its email app.

5. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

That's an interesting point.

I know there is an OS level handler for this in Windows, in that contextual menus have 'Email this file' (or something similair - I forget specifics). I also know it works for multiple email clients, Outlook/Express and Thunderbird. Therefore, the code is probably still hanging around in Thunderbird, but I remember reading somewhere that such global calls are unsupported in OS X - though again, I can't remember what function I was researching :eek:

So, I suppose the only fix would be for different, proprietary methods of using each application. A lack of support is therefore understandable, although there are any number of less elegant solutions (Open a temporary folder window with the resized images, and an email with a certain subject, for one).
    Sadly not, I'd already looked around for such preferences; with the knowledge that Safari and the default browser setting being hidden in its bowels, I looked all over. Not a sausage.