iPhoto and RAW

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by colinet, Feb 2, 2005.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

It seems that in the latest version of iPhoto Apple proudly claims will import RAW images, that they are unaware of a little camera manufacturuer called Fuji and even moresilly have completely ignored Adobe's new attepmt to standardise Raw images - DNG.

Wonder if they'll change this is later verions.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

When they say they support raw images, they are most certainly referring to those generated by the big guns in the camera industry - Nikon and Canon.

3. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

I think Fuji is probably a bigger comapny that Nikon considering how much wider the portfolio.

I would have though supporting the raw file that Adobe is trying to get a standard would have been a good idea. Also iPhoto already suppoorts the full Fuji range just not in their RAW files.

Raw fiddled around in Photoshop is so much better than anything any make of cameras can produce themselves.

4. Bear macrumors G3

I somehow doubt Fuji has sold more cameras with RAW support than Nikon has. A few of the Coolpix models have raw (.nef) support as well as all the Digital SLR's including the rather popular D70. Also, I suspect Apple had to limit the list for this version or it would've taken months longer to get the feature out.

If you go to this page there is a list on the right hand side of what cameras iPhoto has raw support for.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Until camera manufactures start supporting Adobe's DNG format directly, I have no use for it. So in that sense I feel Apple did the right thing by ignoring it so far.

Also, if I used the utilities to convert my camera's raw files to DNG format, a lot of information is lost. With the loss of information, the DNG format is useless for me. This is the same reason I don't use Adobe's raw support for my camera.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Don't sweat it, I'm not happy with how iPhoto renders the RAW files from my 20D.

Even Adobe's beta of their new Camera Raw does an excellent job.

If you shoot JPEG and need a catalog tool, iPhoto is great. Otherwise I'll keep on using Photoshop, or iPhoto in a pinch.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Pro photographers pretty much use Canon or they use Nikon. This tends to rub off on the "prosumer" market, serious amateurs, and posers. What that means is the vast majority of people who are likely to actually use raw format are going to be using either Nikon's or Canon's version.

The overall size of the company is pretty much irrelevant to the discussion, IMO.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Photoshop didn't have a non-beta Camera RAW for the 20D until last week, BTW. Don't feel too bad. ;)

9. The Hamburger macrumors member

Biggest selling Fuji DLSR so far has been the S2 (which is actually based on the body of nik F80)

Rebel and D70(already) have far out sold it.

Thanks for the heads up that iPhoto 5 does support it. Will have a look at it tomorrow.

I must agree with other posters I go NEF to PS (via Nikon View) and store in TIFF.

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I didn't realise that pro-photographers were using iPhoto as their editing tool, I just assumed they used photoshop. Perhaps in the US it is different? :cool:

Presuming iPhoto is aimed at the consumer market, Fuji is one of the more popular cameras in that market (at least in other parts of the world). So it is strange that RAW for Fuji cameras is not supported in iPhoto.

11. Benj macrumors regular

Fuji are a film company (the best film company in most peoples' eyes). They have no pro cameras. Only Canon and Nikon have any serious DSLR offerings. (Olympus have tried and not really succeeded.)

The cynic in me says that Fuji are only into cameras now as they know the film market is dwindling rapidly (and probably terminally).

12. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

that is the reason why Apple released the RAW format first. Even your so called bigger portfolio Fuji has a camera based off the apparent better camera. Perhaps, that is why Apple tended to RAW's needs first. (if you get what i am saying)

kyle

13. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

has anyone actually used iphoto with raw images yet?

the image sizes are so large i would think it would choke on them unless you have a rocket computer. even with a 1GB of ram in my g4 400 things are slow.

i think pro/semi pro users will still use photo shop but iphoto is great for quick and dirty edits or just to catalogue things. let me know if you have had good or not so good experiences if you've used the latest version of iphoto.

14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I wasn't referring to iPhoto's editing capabilities at all. :D And I certainly can't speak for pro photographers - but I know I use iPhoto to download and organize my photo collection, not to edit. I use Photoshop for editing.

Actually, it's a bit more complicated since Photoshop 7 doesn't handle raw images (wish the plugin was still available!). I'd have to download and store in iPhoto, convert to TIFF (or whatever) with Nikon's software, then edit in Photoshop. :D At least on those rare occasions I use raw - I can't say I'm a skilled enough Photoshopper where the distinctions between raw and high-end JPEG as a starting point really make much difference.

When I took raw images in the past (pre-iPhoto5), I converted them to TIFF and then imported them.

I did, just to see how well it handled them on my 1.25GHz Powerbook. I didn't see any severe speed issues. Now when I converted a bunch of them to TIFF and loaded them all into Photoshop, then the amount of RAM became a limitation. :p

15. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Son't know where you live but Fuji DO have some serious pro cameras. They take Nikon interchageable Lenses and their non-pro cameras - I have an S7000 - are pretty damn good, certainly much better than the Canon I had before

16. Benj macrumors regular

They take Nikon lenses (but some awful bodies take Leica lenses). Not saying they are bad - just not what any pro-users choose. Their line-up is just not designed to cater for RAW users. I don't know what the stats are but I'm guessing the number of people using RAW is comparitively tiny.

When did you last see a press line-up with anything other than Canon L lenses and the odd Nikon? Their lens ranges are massive and they have been making camera bodies for years.

I don't know which Canon you were shooting with, but it certainly can't have been an SLR.

17. The Hamburger macrumors member

Nope , don't get you at all.

Fuji , Nikon , Cannon , Olympus All use RAW. But different formats of RAW.

The Fuji S2 is based on the body of the Nikon F80 (a film camera) so is the D70.

What were you saying?

18. Bear macrumors G3

Actually the D70 is not an F80* body. Too many differences. It has some of the components of an F80 however.

Anyway, Apple probably looked at how many different RAW formats they could get done in the time available and picked a set to implement. At some point, they'll add more RAW support to iPhoto. Maybe suggest it to Apple using their feedback mechanism if you want support for a particular camera. Yes camera and not brand, since each camera may have differences in their raw format, even in the same brand.

[*Note in the US an F80 is called the N80.]

19. The Hamburger macrumors member

No its not an N/F80 but it is based on it. As the S2 is not the same , but based on it.

20. Bear macrumors G3

Actually the S2 is built on a real F/N80 body. That's why it requires two different batteries. One to run the camera body and one to run the electronics for capturing the image.

21. The Hamburger macrumors member

Just comparing a F80 and D70.

And now I think your right.

Cheers

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

What are you talking about? The S2 is a seriously strong contender in the dSLR market, rivaling (bettering, some people say) the resolution of the Nikon classic the D100. Not sure how it stacks up against the D70, but it is an excellent, excellent camera. In the US as well as Europe it is prefered by most portrait and wedding photographers as Fuji's cameras render skin tones better than any other camera (arguably.) The S1 was ground breaking and the S3 is still new, but still just might take over where the S2 left off.

As someone else stated, the different manufacturers use different RAW formats, so Your Mileage May Vary. Sorry.