iPhoto and Scanning Images

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BarfBag, Aug 27, 2005.

1. BarfBag macrumors member

Sup, dudes?

I'll probably be purchasing an iMac sometime soon. Over the winter, I'm going to have a little project going. My parents have thousands (no joke) of baby pictures. Five kids worth of pictures. :eek: I do a lot of scanning where I work, and we use a program called PaperPort. It's a piece of trash. I'm going to be looking for decent scanning software for the Mac platform. Does iPhoto support scanning images? If not, is there anything you guys know of/recommend?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X includes an application that predates iPhoto called Image Capture.

3. Dolo macrumors newbie

There's an application included in Mac OS called Digital Pictures (atleast that's what it would be called translated from german ;)).

This app is able to scan, wether it's good or not I don't know - I never tried.

After you scanned them with this app you can just drag and drop them into iPhoto to enhance/edit/adjust etc. them.

Christian

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Preview (included with Mac OS X) has built in scanning capability. Also, whatever scanner you buy will come with scanning software. I just bought a Canon CanoScan LiDE 500F on Tuesday, and it came with several programs for scanning, and I can also do it from within Photoshop and Preview. I find the Preview interface for scanning to be quite good, and one of the programs included with the scanner is quite good and easy to use.

Other than that sort of solution, you might check out VueScan. I'm sure there are others that you can turn up with a Google search. You can also looks for software on www.versiontracker.com.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think you can scan from photoshop if not mistaken....

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My CanoScan8400F has a driver that allows me to scan directly into Photoshop, but your scanner should have software available to scan into the Mac. For a while, they only ran in Classic, but I think all should now support OS X.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I scanned a couple hundred old family slides when I was home over last CHristmas break. The best way I found to do it was to import into Photoshop Elements from the scanner, then save all the images into a folder. After You're done scanning, just drag the whole folder into iPhoto.

Also, if you want to organize them a little more, you can save them into respective folders like Bob's Picutres and Tom's Pictures, etc... Then import them into iPhoto one folder at a time and they will be kept in seperate rolls.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

GraphicConverter ships with new Macs. It supports TWAIN-based scanning.

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

GraphicConverter only comes with PowerBooks and Power Macs unless something has changed. It's a great application though, I use it all the time.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is an indispensable app, but I've never used it for scanning, so I can't vouch for that.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. imjmn macrumors newbie

Been there done that. I used the scanner software -Epson- that came with the scanner. Just scan until you drop. I did it over a 2 months of Sundays. Once done I imported the photos to iPhoto. Did batch changes to the Title of each group of photos ie: Fiji68 or Libya68 or Europe 65, then Made various Smart Albums for those groups then exported them via Share>Export>Use Title to a new folder on the desk top. Also decide if you are going to export with original format or want to change it. Then I re-imported them to iPhoto and deleted the original import of the same photos. Now all the photos file name is the same as the Title instead of IMG-1111 etc. I also found that it was better to just scan the photo as a jpg format instead of a tiff unless I thought I would want to make a big blow up of the tiff for a portrait picture. Once this was all done I backed up ALL my HOURS OF SCANNING to DVD's. Now I have a hard copy if the HD ever crashed.