iPhoto and Spotlight?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by besler3035, Mar 13, 2006.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502

For some strange reason, ever since I upgraded to iLife '06, Spotlight will no longer index the titles I have entered of photos in iPhoto 6. The older photos from ver.5 work fine. I already re-indexed, deleted my library and started over with no luck. When I deleted and started over and imported everything, the only pictures that show up are the ones that I changed the file names to.

The image file names I'd like to spotlight search have names like IMG0093 and I've changed their titles in iPhoto to something more familiar. Spotlight isn't recognizing the more familiar name.

I'm running recent versions of everything, in case you were wondering. Anyone have any ideas?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep...no luck. Rebuilt the library as well and deleted the .ipspot file in the Pictures folder. Got nothin'

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got it right in the Pictures folder. I let iPhoto do all the organization, even though I don't necessarily like the way it works.

I'm thinking about reinstalling iPhoto 6 if I can't get it to change, but I'm worried that the metadata associated with the photos (if there is any) wouldn't change unless I just got the photos on a CD. I just did this, but I think by dragging the pictures to a CD (rather than burning directly in iPhoto) that would let me completely start from scratch. I don't really feel like re-entering in information for 430 pictures, though :)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Just trash all your photos and start from scratch. :p

Sorry, hope somone else can help you out. :eek:

7. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just reimported the library after reinstalling iPhoto, and no such luck. It seemed to be that when I renamed one of the photos I imported it worked, but then when I imported all of the photos and tried on another photo, it didn't. Go figure.

8. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Have you rebuilt your library using the iPhoto option?

9. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. No luck - still.:mad:

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Try creating a Keyword called 'Dummy' and applying that to all your pictures (it will take a while) - that will force Spotlight to reindex properly. Then delete the Dummy keyword and it will do it again. Result: it finds the pictures again.

The annoying thing is that it still shows the filename as it came out of the camera rather than the user friendly one in iPhoto but I think that's a 'feature'