iPhoto? Aperture?? what to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bazzakite, Apr 15, 2006.

1. bazzakite macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2005
    I used to have iPhoto and used it to basically manage my digital camera photos. If I ever needed to manipulate the image I'd use photoshop.

I have just upgraded my laptop's OSX to Tiger and in the process lost iPhoto!!!

What program should I use to import and manage my picture now?

I could buy iLife but have no need for anything besides iPhoto. No need for Aperture at this stage (maybe if I get more into my photography later).

Any advice on software for basic photo management??

(also I'm not far off a new intel laptop - once I have this I will lose photoshop abilities!)

thanks in advanace for the advice
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Let me make sure I understand what you're saying.

You bought a computer with Panther and iLife pre-installed, correct? And then you re-formatted (erase and install) it when you installed Tiger? And in the process you no longer have iLife? Do you still have your install / restore discs for the system that came with your computer?

Pacifist is a software program that will allow you to re-extract iPhoto and any other parts of iLife that you want from those discs. You might even be able to do it without Pacifist, but should definitely be able to do it that way. :) No need to buy iLife just to get back iPhoto, unless of course you don't have the install / restore DVDs....

If that's the case, you can get iLife 05 pretty inexpensively here.
  3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    Does Photoshop come with bridge or is that just Photoshop Elements that has a 'bridge' like photo/file manager included?
  4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I believe that Photoshop CS2 comes with Bridge. The whole Creative Suite package does, as that's what I bought, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple people in office who just got PS licenses and have Bridge installed. I think it's the new trifecta (Photoshop, ImageReady, and Bridge).
  5. macaddicted macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Down on Copperline...
    It may be overkill, but Extensis Portfolio would work.
  6. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2005
    New Jersey
    What he said. You should already have iLife somewhere.