iPhoto auto launch, QT pro, and DVDs (misc Q's)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Earendil, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

iPhoto: 05
    Computer: Alum Powerbook 1.25

So here are a few questions that I can't find answers to, but are not worth an entire thread in themselves. So I've stacked them up and here they are for your viewing pleasure.

iPhoto auto launching when I insert a xD camera card into my PCMCIA card reader. I hate it. I can't make it stop. I found the prefs for how to handle CDs, DVDs, and other media mounted on the computer, but not cameras and iPhoto.

QT pro, What won't I be able to save?
    Aside from full screen mode, and formats, the other huge advantage I know of is that you can save movies from the internet that are locked to QT pro. But the only two places I use this are movie previews from Apple's site, and movie previews/music videos from iTunes. Will the pro version allow me to save movies from both those sources, or are they locked up even if you have Pro?
    I used to just snag the file out of the download cache but apparently with Tiger Apple has done a number on where these things download to and are stored :(

Burnable DVDs for a 1.25ghz Alum G4 Powerbook with a superdrive. Does anyone know of a brand and flavor that will allow me to burn? Apple branded are EXPENSIVE, and just about anything else these days is rejected by my computer. It used to be there were any number that worked, but not so any more. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance guys!
    ~Earendil
    Tyler

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Launch Image Capture to change preferences of how iPhoto automatically starts up.

QT Pro does allow saving of movies, but some content authors may intentionally disable that feature. It's up to the producers.

For DVD-Rs, I highly recommend Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs. They are considered the best brand by professionals in the industry. You won't find them at your local store. They are found at large media warehouses or online.

3. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Yes! Thank you!
    I wasn't even aware of that application :rolleyes:
    I guess I'll reevaluate my 'poweruser' status.

I figured as much. As a general rule of thumb do you find that movie previews/music videos take advantage of this?

What about speeds? I believe I have a max write speed of 2x, which works fine if the DVDs are rated at a max speed of 2x. But DVDs are rated much higher these days, and it seems they won't lower themselves to a write speed of 2x (I never understood why going slower was a problem). Even some that say they go from 2x-8x don't work.
    Do any powerbook owners know for a fact that a certain brand/flavor will work with a 2x superdrive?

~Earendil
    Tyler

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have the same Powerbook model and I burned a backup copy of my Tiger DVD without any problems using Sony 1x-8x DVD-Rs. It's got a code of DMR47A3 on the box if that helps.

I must admit to flashing the firmware on my drive to make it region-free. Since the 1.25Ghz PBs were always 2x, I doubt this will have changed anything although the firmware flash site does suggest that some media are more stable after the SuperDrive's been flashed.