iPhoto backup advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marknicholls, Nov 7, 2004.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Aug 7, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Hey Guys

I have just organized 1367 photos in iphoto, these photos are very important to me so i have purchased an iomega backup drive to backup my music and photos. Backing up music is easy as the file structre is all artists and albums, so its a simple drag and drop, but iphoto does a really wierd thing and makes the file structre very compliacted. Shall i just drag and drop my iphoto folder to my back up drive for a backup? if i do this, and i need to put the photos on a new mac, will another copy of iphoto be able to determine what photos should go in which album?

The last thing i want is to backup my photos, get a new mac, and to find i have over 1000 photos all over the place.....i hope im making sense ;)

Thanks guys

PS i did use the export function.....but it put all 1367 photos in one massive unstructured folder!
  2. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    I'm still on iPhoto 2, but this is what works for me. I just copy over the entire iPhoto Library folder in my user account. Make sure you copy everything, including the AlbumData.xml file and the "Album" folder as well.

When I reinstalled my system, I copied over the backed up iPhoto Library. iPhoto recognized it immediately and everything was OK.
  3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2004

I haven't tried it for iPhoto, but if you have .mac you can download backup, which has an option to specifically backup your iPhoto collection.