iPhoto Book question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by prechrchet, Feb 17, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2002
    A friend of mine ordered a book via iPhoto and was disatisfied to the point where they are sending it back (mind you, these are not the kind of people to do this unless there is a MAJOR problem).

Their complaints centered around the quality of the photos in the book: they were much darker and much grainier than the prints (of the same pictures) that they had gotten at Walmart.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    There is noticeable dot gain when these books are printed so your photos need to be optimized (lightened) for printing. I haven't had any problems with graininess but I have heard of this problem before. There was a great article a few months back in either MacWorld or MacAddict that discussed exactly how to optimize your photos for book printing. I'll see if I can dig up the article and post a link here later.
  3. macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    Picture for picture, has this not been improved in '06?
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2002
    iLife 06

For what it's worth, they were using iLife 06.
  5. macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    Actually, I thought the quality would have been better than it was. But then again it's difficult to know just what quality we should expect. I don't think it would be fair to expect the same as a professionally-produced, mass circulation book.

I read that Aperture gives better definition, but I wonder why. The information sent down the line would be the same, I would have thought.
  6. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Color management is needed with the likes or Manaco or the such in order to really have a comment on issues regarding lightness and darkness of images.

Hopefully Kodak and Apple will step up to the plate on this.
  7. Gee
    macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    For my two-cents worth, I ordered a book recently and was more than happy with the results. I thought the overall quality was great - very professional and my photos looked great. It certainly wowed all of the friends and colleagues I showed it to. On the question of quality of the pics themselves, I didn't notice any particular grainyness and they seemed reasonably bright - not as bright as on screen, but on screen they're backlit. This was one of the large hardback books.

However, I have to also say that I order one of the really tiny books (pack of three actually) over a year ago, and the quality of the photos in it weren't so good. Nothing to complain about, and for it's size, the book as really cool, but they were a little on the fuzzy size.

I suppose this could mean two things - quality has improved, or it depends on the spec of the book you buy.