iPhoto Cropping Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaronb, Dec 28, 2006.

1. aaronb macrumors regular

I don't know if I am the only one to have this problem but when I constrain something in iPhoto and click crop, it doesn't crop it to my contrain option. If I try to constrain something to 1440x900 (display), click crop, and then view the info on the picture, it's not constraining it correctly. It will resize it a little, but not to what I chose. Any ideas?

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Just looked and the same happens to me. I think it crops to an aspect ratio, not an actual pixel X pixel size. I.e. It's not resizing and cropping your pic, just cropping to the relevant ratio. Make sense?

3. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

I think so. It just seemed really pointless to me to have a great option like that (1440x900 - to size a photo for your desktop) and to have it act like that. I know you can export photos to be smaller but you don't know what you will be cutting off in doing so.

4. Gee macrumors 65816

If you want to resize, you can export the images to a specific size after you've cropped them to the right apect ratio.

5. Gee macrumors 65816

If you get 'em in the right aspect ratio first, you won't lose any of it.

PS - when I make the image I cropped using the 1440x900 option, it fits my screen fine even though the pic is actually bigger. Make sense?

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

When it's "constrains" to your display ratio, it's not making it exactly the same size as your display, but rather the same aspect ratio, so that if you set it to be your desktop picture, it all shows up when expanded or scaled-down to the actual size of your display by OS X.

7. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

I think so. I definitely see what you mean in terms of keeping the same ratio size but it sucks if you want, say, a 500x500 px picture, no bigger, no smaller. You know? I know you could probably get around that but it seems so bizarre! Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it!

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

9. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, VERY true!