iPhoto disappearing photos - very annoying!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gee, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Gee macrumors 65816

Hi there

So I was making a book in iPhoto earlier, and at some point it crashed (very annoying, and not the first time mid-book this has happened).

So, I restarted iPhoto and low-and-behold, every picture taken after December 2004 has disappeared. That's over 4000 pics. Oddly, they still appear in albums that I've created, and they're all still in the iPhoto folder. They're just disappeared from iPhoto.

Extremely annoying. I've tried rebuidling the database, I've tried deleting the preferences, deleting the XML file, repairing permissions, etc, etc. But nothing will make iPhoto see the 2-years of photos sitting in the folder.

Any ideas?

One good thing that also turned to *****: when I restarted iPhoto, all of the additions I had made to the book I was doing were still there - previously when iPhoto crashed half way through a book, it lost all the changes. However, this was short-lived because next time I started iPhoto, the whole book had disappeared. All my other books and calendars and stuff are still there, even those that only contain pics that have disappeared.

Any thoughts on how to get it back? I would hate to have to do it all again.

Cheers chaps

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When you say you rebuilt the database, do you mean you did this?

3. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, actually tried all four options. Still doesn't find any of the pics from the last two years.

Funnily enough, it's just added '2007' to the list of years in the last hour. But 2005, 2006, and 2007 are all empty.

Thoughts?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bizarre. Copy your iPhoto library into the Shared folder, create a new user, start iPhoto whilst holding OPTION and select the library from your shared folder. Does it still not recognise the newer shots? :)

5. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice idea. Tried it, and no, it still doesn't recognise anything after 2004. How bizarre hey?

Any other ideas? I really don't want to lose all my meta data, which I assume will happen if I reimport all the pics. I could do with 'finding' the book I had half completed as well.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting. Okay, it's a long shot but check that your system clock is correct in System Preferences. At a guess, it will be. :eek:

Do you have another Mac you could import this library too?

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

maybe a dumb question, but what version of iphoto?