iphoto disappointment...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by expergo, Jan 23, 2005.

1. expergo macrumors regular

the only thing i wanted in iphoto5 was the folders within folders, yet they couldn't even do that right.

i tried important a folder that contained other folders (eg. friends>party) and it combined all the pictures from the subfolders and put it in one big folder. why couldn't they just automatically create a folders and albums on the way it is organized on my computer. i don't have time to separate all the pictures and then name a hundred folders.

i also wish they'd be able to organize my albums by date...or by name. i can't find an option on how to do it, and the only way it i can is by moving each folder separately into the spot i want it to be in. :(

anyways...those are my issues...i'm sure it's good for a brand new user, but for people who have a ton of pictures, it's a hassle to import everything. gues i'll continue using iview mediapro since it knows how to organize things right. :(

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Try this:
    View>Film rolls
    This worked for me.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Think of iPhoto management the way iTunes handles music and you wont be so stressed over folders. Do all the organizing of pictures within iPhoto.

As for sorting by date, there is Calendar view, which gives you a bird's eye view of all your pictures by year, month and week.

4. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Can one sort the keywords yet? I've been using Keyword Assistant to date and it works fine but one would think this would be a gimme feature. And it only sorts alphabetically. I'd prefer to group people, places and activities.

Back on topic, one must never mess with the iPhoto hierarchy. Everything should be done within the app. I find it much more user-friendly but I know there are two schools on this subject.

5. expergo thread starter macrumors regular

film rolls aren't organized on the left side. i have to go to library..then view>film rolls... then scroll all the way up and down to find my roll which would take awhile since i have a lot of pics. i tried putting pics in folders...but then it wouldnl't let me view film rolls. so i'm back to just having a one-layer type structure instead of subfolders.

i don't think pictures can be organized like itunes because i want it organized by date and separated by album and once you put it in albums, you can't auto-arrange it by date. music already has all those tags on them for the info such as 'album'...but pictures don't. if each picture had something like that, i'm sure it'd be as easy as itunes, but that'll never happen.

maybe i'm being picky...but i gave up importing after i did like 10 folders...took long enough. iview, i just select the folder and it makes the hirearchy-type organization.

6. ocellnuri macrumors regular

It seems to me that the only way to get a good organization of pictures in iPhoto is if you used iPhoto from the beginning. Meaning that the very first pictures you took, you imported into iPhoto. It doesn't seem to be built with the idea that you should be able to take an existing collection of photos and easily import them into iPhoto.

This, in my opinion, is still a big downfall of iPhoto. If you already have a lot of photos, and you haven't been using iPhoto since the begining, it's hard to get everything sorted nicely.

7. expergo thread starter macrumors regular

i agree.

even so...i hate how you cant "sort" just the albums in a certain way and it all has to be moved manually.