iPhoto - do you use it for holiday snaps or for every pic on your Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spriter, Jul 29, 2006.

1. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

I often wondered how others use iPhoto.

Myself, I mainly put my holiday pics and other digi camera pics in there but I've no idea why just them. Maybe it's because whenever I saw, or see, iPhoto being used, it's demoing using pictures of people in locations.

Things like desktop wallpaper and pics people email me just get thrown into my Pictures folder. Am I the only one who does this?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i put everything into iPhoto, not that its all organized within iPhoto, but thats another problem. i should get to that sometime i suppose. :eek:

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I put my photos and picture of my family (or events I was at) which others have taken.

Wallpaper, casual one-off photos don't tend to end up in iPhoto

4. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I spent one night organising all my pictures into smart folders. I only put pictures in there from Camera exports or pictures that I want to keep, saying that though the folder with all my desktop background pictures in lives in the applications folder!

5. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

thats pretty much how i do it as well, all the family events or just be and my friends goofing off go into iphoto. Desktop photos and other junk photos are stored in my Pictures folder until i dont need them anymore.

My iphoto library is organized tho, just about every picture has an album and key word assigned to it.

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Everything. All 11,903 of them. :p

Family stuff, holiday stuff. Photography (not very good mind) from various hobbies like kiting, motorcycles, aviation, astronomy and space. Cool desktop pictures, funny stuff and mobile phone snaps get chucked in their too. But everything has to be rated as it goes in. I have a smart album, "Unrated - Must be empty." If only iTunes was as organised like iPhoto.

I really want to get old family photos scanned and stored on computer as well, just in case anything should happen to them and it'll be nice carrying them around with me. Buying a good scanner is on my to-do list.

7. adamb100 macrumors regular

I use iPhoto even though how it organizes photos is a complete joke. :p

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not a 'joke' with the last release, you can set it not to use its file structre if you don't want it to.

9. adamb100 macrumors regular

I have iPhoto 5 or whatever the 2005 version is so I dunno about iPhoto 6.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ah gotcha, then yeah its a bit of a pain. :eek:

11. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i put all my pics in iphoto. i dont see any reason not too. why wouldnt you keep all pics n the same program?

12. oniondesigner macrumors newbie

I use Iphoto sort of like a filing cabinet for photos. I find it easy to thumb through.

This is sort of off track but the comments about itunes organization...check this out: http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

pretty nice little app, especially if you are optically oriented

13. adamb100 macrumors regular

Heres how I'd like my collection organized...

2006-->-Cincinnati Trip---> 7/28

-or-

Cincinnati ---> 7/28

14. Fillado macrumors member

I just stick everything in there that I want to keep, although if it's just tempory (like uploading a screenshot to a photo hosting service) i'll just stick it on the desktop and then delete whenever :p