iPhoto doesn't pull up some pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deannoel, Aug 16, 2006.

1. deannoel macrumors newbie

iMac newbie, so this may be easy.

...Uploaded photos in iPhoto, went through the Library and culled out the ones we didn't want, and even cropped a few.

Now, when using iPhoto to do a slideshow, some pictures just give a blank screen. When you go into iPhoto, and view them as thumbnails, they appear. When you click on the thumbnail, instead of it being pulled up larger, it gives a gray background with an exclamation point in it.

However, if I go into finder and look under the pictures icon, and open the modified folder, they can be retrieved perfectly.

It seems like the iPhoto thumbnail has lost the link to the photo, but kept the information. I try and drag the photo from finder into iPhoto, and it doesn't like it. Is there a way to either erase the old library, and relink to the modified folder, or just add the information back in the missing photos?

Thanks in advance, sorry if I butchered the lingo.

2. reh macrumors 6502a

DO NOT muck around with iPhoto's library in Finder. Use iPhoto for everything or not at all. Your best bet is to try to resurrect your pictures and trash iPhoto's library and start over again. Hands off iPhoto's files!

3. deannoel thread starter macrumors newbie

I had renamed what iPhoto called Roll 2 to Photo 1 in the iPhoto Library. I put it back and everything is good. Don't muck with the iPhoto Library, got it.

Thanks.

4. reh macrumors 6502a

You can change whatever you want, just so long as you do it through iPhoto itself. Same goes for iTunes.

5. rossjohn macrumors newbie

I found this thread, after doing some searching. I did exactly what the first poster did. However, a little worse, I think.

I've learned my lesson on not mucking with them in the finder, but now, how do I fix it? Basically, I renamed the rolls in the finder, thinking it would help me organize my photos. Now, I can still see everthing in iPhoto, but when I click on them, I get the explanation mark / blank screen thing. I have no idea where to start???

I will never mess with the photos in the finder again.

6. rossjohn macrumors newbie