iPhoto doesn't recognise camera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yojitani, Oct 18, 2006.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Hi all -

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. A few days ago, iPhoto stopped recognising my wife's camera even though the camera mounts on the computer and can be accessed through the finder. I've tried a number of things listed on the web. The one thing that worked for a day was to repair permissions, but by the next day the problem returned. I've tried deleting the permissions file, looking for corrupt folders in the library, and rebuilding everything in iPhoto. Nothing works. I backed up iphoto last night and my thought now is just to reinstall it. Is there anything else I can do? I'm worried that even reinstalling it doesn't really get to the heart of the problem. .. Also I should mention that I thought it could have something to do with the connections, but I am able to mount the camera in iphoto on my macbook (the problem is happening on a g4 mac mini).

Thanks!
    yt

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

is the camera in ptp mode or normal transfer mode that is ussualll the case if it mounts but iphoto wont see it

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, since it transfers to other computers with no problems and no change in settings, I'm guessing it is in normal transfer mode.

The camera is a Panasonic Limux, btw. if that is any help..

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Have you checked your preference on what to do when a camera is connected and check out your iphoto preference as well:eek:

Bless

5. minnesotamacman macrumors regular

I have also left the camera connected, and restarted, this at times will get the iPhoto to recognize the camera then, and later.

6. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have, but what did you have in mind? The computer is set to open iPhoto when the camera is plugged in. That was working fine until a few days ago. In fact, what tends to happen is I plug the camera in, iPhoto opens, but the camera never mounts in iphoto. It's like it stops recognising it there.
    The one recent change is that I put in a new 1GB SD card. I thought that it could have something to do with formatting (even though the card was working fine for about a week), but then the camera (with card) mounts without issue on my macbook and my powermac...:confused:
    Are there other preferences I should try trashing aside from the .iphoto one? My guess is that a file somewhere has corrupted - the trouble is locating it...

yt

7. doug.hall macrumors regular

Try plugging the capmera in with your mac on. Then restart with your camera connected and switch on. This shoudl sort you out.

Good luck

8. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Thanks, but nope, that didn't work. sigh. I guess I'll try a reinstall.

yt

9. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, a reinstall of iPhoto did not work immediately. After reinstall, I repaired permissions and everything worked ok for two days. Now yet again iPhoto is not recognizing the camera. I have tried zapping the PRAM and did a fsck.
    This is really frustrating and puzzling. Any suggestions for a next step? I was thinking about an archive and install, but that does seem a bit drastic...

yt

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Is the camera recognized if you use ImageCapture rather than iPhoto?