iPhoto Duplicates?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tj2001, Jul 14, 2005.

1. tj2001 macrumors regular

I recently sen a lot of duplicates in my iPhoto Library. I do believe they are the "original" from my editing. Say if I rotated an image to its' proper orientation the right next to it is the sideways copy.

Any ideas how to fix this, how to stop it or maybe even what caused it?

2. tj2001 thread starter macrumors regular

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You might try iPhoto Diet (Versiontracker has it) to get rid of the duplicates. You have several preferences you can set to get the result you want. Good luck!

4. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Duplicates are a new problem for me in iPhoto. New since upgrading with iLife '05 or some subsequent software update past that upgrade. I actually ran into this for the first time last night - I down loaded some photos from my Elph and some were already on iPhoto. It came up with the dialouge box asking if I wanted to import duplicates or not, I said no, but then they appeared there anyway. I've never had that issue before, but I'm also still wondering if somehow I made an error in that dialogue box.

Prior to iLife '05, I have never seen anything like you describe (e.g., a duplicate of the rotated photo), so it sounds like it is an issue (or feature) of the latest version.

5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I've heard a lot about iPhoto Diet, but never had the courage to install it, as I'm worried that it will screw up iPhoto, where I have some of my portfolio work on there. Anyone used iPhoto Diet, with bad consequences?? Reviews would be welcome.

Thanks

::20ROGERSC::

6. tj2001 thread starter macrumors regular

My issue is that it seems as if iPhoto 05' or an upgrade of some sort is "re-adding" originals. So if a photo I took was rotated through iPhoto that I corrected, right next to the proper orientation is the original still sideways. Same for some of the photos that I did color correcting on or used the Auto Enhance feature. Where the brighter good final photo I liked next to it is the original that is dark and not corrected.

Also as for iPhoto Diet I'm skeptic as well being that I wouldn't like to see my 1000+ photos get ruined or corrupted :eek:

7. tj2001 thread starter macrumors regular

iPhoto Diet

Well... being there was no response in regards to iPhoto Diet users, I just went ahead and took the plunge. I was scared trust me!

I started off by duplicating ~username/Pictures/iPhoto Library
    From there I just ran iPhoto Diet... mind you I read the help thoroughly as well; didn't want to misuse or inefficiently use it. It dieted 202 megs of data from my choices and helped me get rid of about 63 duplicates. I am very impressed.

I took note at exactly how many photos I had and it gave me a summary after it was done of exactly what was moved and so forth. So it seemed to work properly without any hitches. I'm impressed, especially after how skeptic I was.

8. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

thumbnails do not match edits...and duplicates

I've had the duplicate problem and NOW - after my first run using iMovie HD - I've found out that the thumbnail orientation DOES NOT match the actual orientation.... VERY frustrating....

oh well c'est l'i vie (thats iLife)