iPhoto Edit Mode not working.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macrlz9, Aug 6, 2006.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Hi all. I'm having an iPhoto problem. Whenever I click on edit to edit a photo in iPhoto, where the picture would normally be is just a blank white box. If i click on the button in the lower left side of the iPhoto window to use the full screen editing mode. the whole screen is black. I have copied my library onto the desktop so i have a back up and deleted my library in the /Users/Photos directory and deleted the com.apple.iphoto.plist file as well. I have tried to reinstall iPhoto as well. Can anyone shed some light on this problem??? Thanks!:)

2. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Here is an example of what i mean...

Attached Files:

3. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Well I did completely delete the iPhoto Library in the /Users/Pictures/ directory, but yes I did try rebuilding the library anyway. Still no luck.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So you deleted the library, re-added a single photo and it still wouldn't edit that photo? Do you have any add ons or hacks for either the UI or for iPhoto itself? :)

5. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Yes you are correct, No I do not have any hacks or anything. After I completely deleted the library and re imported a photo, and it didn't work. I deleted every file related to iPhoto including the library. .plist file and the app it self and reinstalled from the iLife dvd. Still no luck :(

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know if you've tried this and there's a lot of overlap in deleting everything iPhoto-related, but maybe quickly create a new user account and see if the problem carries over. It probably will, but it'd be nice to rule out the possibility of some non-iPhoto preference corruption.

Also, do you still have the Image Capture app in your Applications folder? :)

7. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I just created a new user account and imported some photo's and it still does the same thing when i click on edit. How can this be a system wide issue? The only thing i can think of to do now is to reinstall the OS.. but i really don't want to do that. Do you think this is my only option.

P.S. Thanks so much for all your help Mad Jew

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it comes to a reinstall (which it shouldn't), then try the Archive & Install feature as it's the least intrusive. Hopefully someone far smarter than me will be able to come along soon and help you out though. :)

9. reh macrumors 6502a

Isn't pretty much all of the image and video handled by a component of Quicktime in OS X? Perhaps try a reinstall of Quicktime.

Also, maybe try some different images. Perhaps your images have become corrupted somehow.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a good point and I probably should have mentioned it earlier. Try an image from the internet or a neutral source like that. I know some camera-specific formats don't play nicely with iPhoto, although that's rare.

As for reinstalling QuickTime, it's so heavily embedded in the system that a simple Archive & Install may be easier. :eek:

11. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

OK, I just formatted my hard drive, installed iLife 06 and installed all the updates.... my iPhoto is still not lettin me edit!!! Has anyone else experienced this problem? What could it be at this point? It used to be fine? Maybe one of the iPhoto updates messed it up?

12. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I Fixed It!!!!

ok so I was on this website http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/iphoto/topic3812.html#feb01 . I saw the following article and this method worked!

I'm really happy, but a little annoyed that I had to backup and reinstall everything!

"Dwayne Josephson
    Thanks to all for this thread. I upgraded to iPhoto 6.0 with no problems on my G4 Powerbook. When I did my G5, it had the beach-ball of doom editing issue. Or black screen in full-screen editing mode. Tried every normal toss and install procedure, but the problem persisted on the G5. After reading this I compared the two.
    The G4 Powerbook (10.4.4) had version 1.4 of and the G5 had version 1.2 of the AppleAppSupport.framework.
    Ok, so I tried replacing the plist file mention upthread, and no fix. So I said screw it, and tossed the entire contents of the folder: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework/ on my G5 and replaced them with the contents of the same folder on the G4.
    Success! iPhoto works perfectly on the G5 now. http://homepage.mac.com/dsjosephson/iphoto6framework/FileSharing24.html That is a .sit file of the 1.4 contents of the directory: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework/ it will unzip to a folder called /AppleAppSupport.framework toss your older version of this /AppleAppSupport.framework/ un the trash (you'll have to authenticate) Replace with the 1.4 version in the: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ (you'll have to authenticate again)
    //Launched iPhoto and edited in every mode with Success! And it was far more responsive. Didn't even need to reboot.
    YMMY. Good luck all!"

13. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

thanks a million macrlz9.

I think you are the only other one with the same problem as me. A Mac is almost useless without iPhoto

14. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

no problem, i'm glad we got this problem fixed.. I think this should definitely be something that apple fixes in the next update.

15. ORIONSKNIGHT macrumors newbie

Thank You

thank god for forums. i thought i was the single person with this retarted issue and it would never get fixed. reading ure post i knew that u would fix it and you did. iphoto is required for me to say my mac is a mac. peace

16. dazboardrider macrumors member

I wouldnt say useless without iphoto! I purchaced aperture and totally deleted iphoto off my MAC. Aperture is the best photo application ive ever used! Well worth the money!